sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

2 minutes ago, Maximum Avery said:

If the good/bad ratio is off then huge number of releases dampens your point Loolio ... decisions decisions... which one to pick...

TTVOMJ

my point is that any studio that releases like 100 movies in a year are probably gonna put out like 70 bad movies. that's just an insane amount of output. though in terms of the ones that actually get a push and aren't just dumped i'd say it's closer to 50/50 which is about where a standard studio is.

• Like 1

Dumbo is too old to have the devotion and nostalgia appeal that audiences today have for The Lion King which was Disney Animation at its peak that they haven't reached since besides Frozen. I will be very surprised if it doesn't beat BaTB in all departments including quality. 

32 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

And name a single song from The Little Mermaid that isn't Under The Sea. Y

Poor Unfortunate Souls

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Poor Unfortunate Souls

Good one - I actually love the whole Kiss the Girl song and scene...not sure it's live actionable, but it's awesome, too...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

And name a single song from The Little Mermaid that isn't Under The Sea. Yeah, that's right, no one can do that. 

Part of Your World is literally the proto-typical "I want" disney song and for sure their best. Poor Unfortunate Souls is great and what every following villain song had to live up to. Kiss the Girl is fun too. this point is a MESS.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

If Disney wanted to purely appeal to my nostalgia they would be starting up remakes for the mid 2000s Disney Films like Home on the Range or Meet the Robinsons. 

I'm pretty sure Disney would prefer it if we all forgot they made Home on the Range.

• Haha 1

For me Aladdin's most difficult task was to bring the Genie into live action and put musical performances like Friend Like Me or Prince Ali into live action. Ironically that is the best part of the movie. I know many of you hate Disney live action films but for me as long as I enjoy them I will watch them (and yes I watch a huge amount of original movies as well so I don't just watch remakes or sequels). I'm interested in the following live action movies Disney has confirmed or could make: 

- The Little Mermaid

- Mulan 

- Tarzan 

- The Hunchback of Notre Dame

- The Sword in the Stone

- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

- Pinocchio 

- Hercules

- Atlantis

- Treasure Planet

- The Black Cauldron 

- Sleeping Beauty (evil Maleficent this time)

- Peter Pan

Maybe I'm forgetting something but those are the movies I could see doing well in a live action, the rest are difficult to pull off IMO or I have no interest and it's damn to early for movies from 2010 onwards. 

I'm excited about Little Mermaid / Mulan live actions, they're both very cinematic and could do wonders in box office

But i can't see any Disney movie from 00's being remade... maybe Lilo & Stitch but i think it won't work well on live action

27 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Audiences LOVED Aladdin.  Critics put out the hit.  Who would you trust, yourself or a troll behind a keyboard?

Lol i remember how Moviepass tried to make Gotti seem like it was a bigger deal than it was, but it was so obvious cause the numbers of reviews and votes on Rotten tomatoe's user was similar to Incredibles 2.

21 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

my point is that any studio that releases like 100 movies in a year are probably gonna put out like 70 bad movies. that's just an insane amount of output. though in terms of the ones that actually get a push and aren't just dumped i'd say it's closer to 50/50 which is about where a standard studio is.

But that would be an amazing ratio.. count ANY 100 movies and if you get 50 good ones thats great..  which means i agree, but your wording was off and i had to read between the lines ..some might not

TTVOMJ

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

But i can't see any Disney movie from 00's being remade... maybe Lilo & Stitch but i think it won't work well on live action

The problem with Disney's 00 movies is that ones that could need a live action (Treasure Planet and Atlantis) were financial flops for the studio so I doubt they remake them. Lilo & Stitch could work but I doubt it'll make a lot of money

• Sad 1

@MCKillswitch123 you make a lot of good points and I definitely realize that Dumbo is nowhere near as popular as Beauty and the Beast and the Lion King. But I also think there is a danger in trying to remake classics. First of all people remember what these classics were like and maybe they don't want to have that view tarnished in some ways. Secondly I think Beauty and the Beast was more of the exception as opposed to commonality. I'm obviously not saying The Lion King is going to tank or anyting but I'm always take an exception to the billion-dollar number being thrown around. I personally don't see it but then again I'm not invested in The Lion King so maybe that's affecting my judgment.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Good one - I actually love the whole Kiss the Girl song and scene...not sure it's live actionable, but it's awesome, too...

I've always loved this scene, seeing it in live action would be cool!

Under the Sea would also be a good one to see live action.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I'm excited about Little Mermaid / Mulan live actions, they're both very cinematic and could do wonders in box office

We're getting Cruella which might then set up a live action 101 Dalmatians. That would be cool. 

I don't think they really need to dip into the 00's, because there is such a treasure of possibilities with the older stuff. 

Pinocchio with the right cast/director could also do decent. 

Maleficent 1/2 also proves that spinoffs and origin stories are available options for them as well.

• Like 1

Just now, VanillaSkies said:

We're getting Cruella which might then set up a live action 101 Dalmatians. That would be cool. 

I don't think they really need to dip into the 00's, because there is such a treasure of possibilities with the older stuff. 

Pinocchio with the right cast/director could also do decent. 

Maleficent 1/2 also proves that spinoffs and origin stories are available options for them as well.

We already had a live-action 101 Dalmatians 23 years ago lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Oh so we go to the magic home market, got it. Bottom line it will not make a profit from its theater run , instead it will actually lose money unless it somehow explodes. Yep, another great 300+ million investment and then the long wait for ancillaries to save it.

Very few movies do. Only mega-successful super smashes. The vast majority of financially successful movies don’t. The whole idea behind that bolded phrase is one of the stupidest in BO. It’s like “hey, if we look at 100% of this movie’s costs and 50% of its revenue, is it positive? No? Well gee golly willikers, what a shock, guess the movie was a financial failure.” 🙄

• Like 1