sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

In my honest opinion, Aladdin should’ve flown over the $150M 4 Day mark. Had the marketing and release not been bad.

Different director, no crappy Jafar, whole new world intro trailer, and a better release date definitely.

• Like 1

Looking at the 7M after all the back and forth In the tracking thread last night:

giphy.gif

I’m in the “won’t be frontloaded” camp. At the theaters I track, a cursory glance of Friday and Saturday looked on par with (or often better than) Thursday.

Good for the movie, not so much my Summer Game QOTW. 🙃

Edited by captainwondyful
Fixed Gif
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

So Disney Memorial weekend curse defeated or Aladdin's probable 200mn OW is 100-120mn.

This.

Relative to expectations of how hard the movie was going to flop on top of the Memorial Day Weekend box-office curse, a $100 million+ weekend is a success!

But on the other hand this is Aladdin. One of Disney’s most popular IPs; and being 1 of the most-coveted Disney movies included in the ‘big 4’ can not be taken lightly.

Aladdin could leg its way on to $250-$300 million (hopefully) and be a hit, though there was no reason why Aladdin couldn’t have rivaled Beauty & the Beast and made $500 million+.

I still think Disney’s insistence on the poor Memorial Day Weekend release date is mostly to blame.

• Like 2

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

I'm going with 580 mil WW now (if the 4 day weekend of 90-100 mil happens).

220 mil DOM, 30 mil China, 330 mil OS-China.

China  looks to be on a pace for a better than expected $17-18m o/w.  With a Maoyan 9.0 score could do $40m+

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Finnick said:

Still I am sure anything above $80M will hurt your Disney  hateful butt.

Shh. The little guy has had a hard year after the Endgame and Captain Marvel combo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

China  looks to be on a pace for a better than expected $17-18m o/w.  With a Maoyan 9.0 score could do $40m+

I could see that happening if it wasn't for the competition next week or the week after. I can see it doing 2x at best.

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

You seen Laddy yet? I'm going tomorrow, but I NEED to know the deets about Friend Like Me.

I haven’t seen it but I’ve listened to the soundtrack and that’s convincing me to see it.

How is OS looking for Aladdin btw?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Finnick said:

Still I am sure anything above $80M will hurt your Disney  hateful butt.

How times have changed..July's Lion King making less than live action BATB ow will probably be celebrated also.:thinking:

Mulan will probably miss 50 mil opening 

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm going with 580 mil WW now (if the 4 day weekend of 90-100 mil happens).

220 mil DOM, 30 mil China, 330 mil OS-China.

$580m would be not be great. 

Production budget is $183m. 

When it was first announced I just assumed it would do $1bn but when the trailer dropped it quickly became clear that it was unlikely 

So i went back to sleep after Charlie teased us, and had a dream the Thursday number was 15.1. Everyone went nuts until they found out that Asgard’s source was trolling him, and the actual number was 5.25

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Wow, Aladdin has a budget of ~185M. Can it make 500M world wide? Definitely seems possible. China will give about 50. If it has a 75M three day, then maybe give it like a 3.5 multiplier to 265M. That would mean 185 from the rest of the world. 

1 minute ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Wow, Aladdin has a budget of ~185M. Can it make 500M world wide? Definitely seems possible. China will give about 50. If it has a 75M three day, then maybe give it like a 3.5 multiplier to 265M. That would mean 185 from the rest of the world. 

That multiple seems way too high for a Live Action remake and a Memorial Day release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1