sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

19 minutes ago, MagnarTheGreat said:

RE: billion dollar films

Lots of space for some $1B+ films available. So far there's only 2 this year.

djhOoMh.png

So for the past 4 years, there’s been at least 4 $1B grossers. Means we’re due 2 more. TROS and TLK are near certain imo. Finding Dory, Despicable Me 3 and Minions were all $1B+, so we have to fill that animated movie slot, which will likely be Frozen II. And there are other possibilities like FFH and Hobbs & Shaw. Toy Story 4 depends on reception and while I think Jumanji 3 will decrease, it’s another possibility. We might end up with 5-6 this year. 6 would be a record. 

Edited by Deja23

2 hours ago, baumer said:

That's literally impossible.  That would be about an 80% jump from the true Friday and that has never happened ever in the history of films on their opening Saturday.

Do you mean on Memorial Day or in general?

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=journey2.htm

Not that Aladdin will be seeing any sort of increase like that ofc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

OMFG I watched the 2nd Avengers movie. The lame "likable" humor, the lack of story, the dumb senseless destruction, the overlength. Mind numbing trash and proof that 99% of the public is comprised of morons.

Guess BOT is also composed of nearly all morons too considering nearly everyone here liked Endgame 

Interesting Note about RT and Aladdin's audience score. 

Firstly, verified score is 93% while all audience score is now up to 88%, so they don't actually diverge that much. 

Secondly, there are 4333 verified scores, and 7837 total all audience scores. What's interesting about this is that the only way to currently verify is if you bought your tickets through Fandango. Which means one of two things - a ton of moviegoers now buy their tickets through the Fandango website/app and/or audiences who buy tickets online are more likely to rate the movie online as well. 

Anyways, with it being the first weekend with this new RT metric, it's still too early to make definitive observations, but thus far it's produced some interesting data. 

I also wonder if it deterred trolls and review bombers from even trying, as the verified score if the one displayed and you have to dig for the all audience score, which most people won't do. Maybe the trolls just decided to give it up.... or maybe the troll problem just wasn't as big as it seemed to be, at least for the majority of films.... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, firedeep said:

what? TLK may make close to 1B DOM alone.

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Wait. He said its missing 1 Billie.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115ce9e8866c384f3841

5 minutes ago, jedijake said:

People saying that TLK will finish anywhere under $1.5 billion WW are likely the ones who are butthurt that Aladdin is doing well. I mean-that's just ridiculous!!!

Yes he said it won't make a billion worldwide. I know, I know; it's one of the worst box office takes in history and I'm almost certain 2015 Steve Jaros has taken over his account. It's the equivalent of someone saying TFA wouldn't make a billion.

For what it's worth, I definitely don't believe he's butthurt about anything. He's just making a bad call in this case. 

6 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

OMFG I watched the 2nd Avengers movie. The lame "likable" humor, the lack of story, the dumb senseless destruction, the overlength. Mind numbing trash and proof that 99% of the public is comprised of morons.

I'm going to buy another ticket to Endgame just because of this comment. Might use that ticket to go see Booksmart, but I won't contribute to its box office or help it in anyway financially 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Knock It Off 2

6 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Do you mean on Memorial Day or in general?

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=journey2.htm

Not that Aladdin will be seeing any sort of increase like that ofc.

2 things to note about this though. 

1 - Midnights were still very much the thing in 2012, 7pm Thursday showings hadn't taken over yet, so it would have made close to nothing Thursday as a family film, so the Friday was less front-loaded. 

2 - When a movie opens to such small numbers, it's much easier for it to increase more on Saturday, especially when it skews to family audiences. 

While I don't necessarily agree that it's impossible for Aladdin to have a big Saturday bump (WOM is just incredible), I don't think this is at all a good example. It's apples and oranges.

Just now, VenomXXR said:

I'm going to buy another ticket to Endgame just because of this comment. Might use that ticket to go see Booksmart, but I won't contribute to its box office or help it in anyway financially 🤣

FFS can we just stop.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VenomXXR said:

Just now, Porthos said:

FFS can we just stop.

I mean, come on VenomXXR, this is La Binoche we're talking about here. ;)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

FFS can we just stop.

Probably better to ask that of the dipshits who constantly stir up trouble and have been thread banned multiple times for their stupidity, like the person I replied to. 

EDIT: Uggghh fine, @Porthos. I'll be an adult the rest of the night.

Edited by VenomXXR
  • Thanks 1

Just now, VenomXXR said:

Probably better to ask that of the dipshits who constantly stir up trouble and have been thread banned multiple times for their stupidity, like the person I replied to. 

Hmmm.  What's the phrase?

Oh, yes.

Not Cool.

Ignore the User.

Report the Post.

Don't Respond.

That might make a handy sounding acronym, now that I think about it. ;)

11 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Guess BOT is also composed of nearly all morons too considering nearly everyone here liked Endgame 

It is hard to be sure with the description, but wasn't it about Age of Ultron?