sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

1 hour ago, captainwondyful said:

There is zero excuses for this not to have been EVERYWHERE.  I went from Meh to Yas in 2.5 seconds.

4 year old listened to this in the car. she liked it a lot. Great voice.

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Mary Poppins making 102 million makes sense...right right?

Dumbo making 111 mill makes sense, right right?

There are a litany of films that get over predicted at this site.  Not sure what exactly it is that TLK did in the past to make people think it's going to blow up this time.   And why do you think it will make more than TJB?

Lion King has had a fantastic broadway that is incredibly successful forever. Dumbo sucked and was 10x less popular. I think you are trying to convince yourself of this but it's futile imo. If Aladdin can do this, Lion King will be on an entirely different level. 200 OW, 500 minimum DOM.

19 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

warm-up for when Avatar 2 will hit $700M, $800M, $900M , $1000M

Not a shit chance in hell it's beating Wolf Warrior 2. 600m is more likely than 1b. If I had to guess 700 if it's amazing. 

27 (-7%)

21 (-22%)

= 87 3-day / 108 4-day

POTC5 did 2.2x the 4-day while SOLO did a little under 2.1x.

2.2-2.3x will give ALADDIN 238-248 using 108 4-day.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I think we’ll be seeing  a lot more of Naomi Scott after this, and I wouldn’t mind a bit. 

She’s the reason I was rooting for the movie to do well. Liked her since Lemonade Mouth and she was good in Power Rangers too. And if the Charlie’s Angels reboot is good, this’ll be her breakout year.

Also, Aladdin’s RT All audience score continues to climb. Now 89%.

3 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Disney fucked up on the marketing for Aladdin. There’s no way it should be missing $300M DOM/$1B WW.

Aladdin probably is the most serious mistake made by Disney marketing team ever. Disney marketing exeuctives should be fired right away!

We want record OW, but we also want legs, but we want trailers not to show much, but we want trailers to show money shots. C'mon people make up your mind. This is absolute success, memorial weekend curse broken, $250m DOM possibility

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

2 things to note about this though. 

1 - Midnights were still very much the thing in 2012, 7pm Thursday showings hadn't taken over yet, so it would have made close to nothing Thursday as a family film, so the Friday was less front-loaded. 

2 - When a movie opens to such small numbers, it's much easier for it to increase more on Saturday, especially when it skews to family audiences. 

While I don't necessarily agree that it's impossible for Aladdin to have a big Saturday bump (WOM is just incredible), I don't think this is at all a good example. It's apples and oranges.

This was not an example as precedent for Aladdin, simply that jumps of that kind have occurred (ofc for smaller films). 

41 minutes ago, a2k said:

27 (-7%)

21 (-22%)

= 87 3-day / 108 4-day

POTC5 did 2.2x the 4-day while SOLO did a little under 2.1x.

2.2-2.3x will give ALADDIN 238-248 using 108 4-day.

doubt legs will be that bad considering WOM is stellar

37 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

am I blind but the Olivia Wilde Tweet pretty much said watch the movie, not for its merit or appeal but because it was made by a woman.

One can say that but to a lot of people that will have zero impact on making them watch a movie. 

its a bad tweet, but when percentage of woman directors in top movies is under 10 percent , i can't fault her for being passionate even if it comes off wrong

2 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

This was not an example as precedent for Aladdin, simply that jumps of that kind have occurred (ofc for smaller films). 

Again though, forget the size of the film.

You can't take a family flick from 2012 that was pre-Thursday 7pm previews and compare it's Friday - Saturday jump to a Friday-Saturday jump in 2019.

One has 7pm Thursday previews to inflate the Friday number, the other does not. 

Without Thursday preview numbers built it, Saturday jumps would be much higher for all films opening weekend. 

1 minute ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

its a bad tweet, but when percentage of woman directors in top movies is under 10 percent , i can't fault her for being passionate even if it comes off wrong

The thing I don't understand is that women are not coming out to support this type of flick. 

Isn't it exactly what they've been asking for for so long now? Female director, female stars, female centered stories...  I understand why Olivia is slightly disappointed in turn out.