sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

They have the highest grossing film either way.  They don't give a shit.

Nah, they will want their victory lap moment with EG as the biggest film of all time. Something they've never gotten before. 

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

US: 280

OS-C: 102*3.43 : 350

China: 19 * 2.7: 50+

Need 20 from Japan for that.

Japan 35+ I bet, but some of these multis are indeed really strong. I suppose the good news is OS-C actual will probably be more 105.

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

yeah, people forgot that Avatar is now Disney's champ. 

They bought it but had nothing to do with it. Imagine if they make a sequel that does worse like 13-15 years later. Even I will have to admit on it's face that would look bad despite making a lot of money.

2 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

They bought it but had nothing to do with it. Imagine if they make a sequel that does worse like 13-15 years later. Even I will have to admit on it's face that would look bad despite making a lot of money.

I don't think that Disney and SW mesh well so Solo bomb doesn't surprise me. it's a bad match. We'll see how Avatar and Disney work but you are absolutely right. it would be pretty embarrassing.

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

They have the highest grossing film either way.  They don't give a shit.

They should root for EG more. They fully own that movie. While they only get some % of profits in the Avatar sequels because they are only the distributor and co-financier. Although I do think that they'll get a larger part of the profit than Cameron. It depends on how much % of the budget Disney contributed.

Edited by UserHN

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

yeah, people forgot that Avatar is now Disney's champ. 

It wasn't theirs when it broke all its records. The public don't associate it with them (at least not yet). I don't think Disney is going to want to miss what could be their only chance to advertise to the world that a film everyone knows is theirs is the most successful of all time. At least not when it will get very close to beating Avatar at the very least. Not like they'd have to find away to get it 50m or something, we're talking like probably 10m if it misses. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't think that Disney and SW mesh well so Solo bomb doesn't surprise me. it's a bad match. We'll see how Avatar and Disney work but you are absolutely right. it would be pretty embarrassing.

Hence the reason they have every incentive to do a labor day expansion and drag this kicking and screaming through it. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

I don't follow overseas box office much but that Italy number seems massive, especially compared to the much larger markets of South Korea, Russia, Brazil, France and Germany.

After tomorrow’s grosses Endgame will be less than $100 million away from Avatar. Y’all are delusional if you think Disney won’t re-release it in theaters if it runs out of steam just before passing Avatar.

• Like 1

Guys, Disney literally does not care about "their own film" being #1 (which isn't even their own film, it was made by Marvel).  They make profits off of Avatar and they make profits off of Endgame.  Their #1 concern is money.  If Endgame doesn't make it to the #1 spot, then they will not give a shit because it still made $2.6B+ and they also own the film that still is at #1.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PDC1987 said:

After tomorrow’s grosses Endgame will be less than $100 million away from Avatar. Y’all are delusional if you think Disney won’t re-release it in theaters if it runs out of steam just before passing Avatar.

I just can't wait to see the hypocrisy on display if it takes a re-release to push it over and the Cameron loonies lose their shit when they know good and well Avatar added a nice little chunk of change from a re-release. 

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I just can't wait to see the hypocrisy on display if it takes a re-release to push it over and the Cameron loonies lose their shit when they know good and well Avatar added a nice little chunk of change from a re-release. 

There's really no place to give it an extra push aside from the weekend of July 12 (where the only openers are Crawl and Stuber).

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

There's really no place to give it an extra push aside from the weekend of July 12 (where the only openers are Crawl and Stuber).

I'm sure they could manage an expansion for the 4th, which aligns perfectly with FFH's release.