sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

4 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

I wish I had the answer. Playing devil’s advocate, maybe Disney wants Avatar to stay number 1 because they want to market Avatar 2 as the sequel to the biggest movie of all time. There is no incentive other than bragging rights to have Endgame number 1. 

Disney has a lot for which to be pleased. They have money to burn. Aladdin did great. They have several other films coming down the pike this year with billion dollar potential. Endgame’s performance was well above their highest expectations. I don’t think they care either way whether Endgame or Avatar is number 1. 

Will Disney miss the chance to distribute the highest grossing film for first time in their History? That's only thing missing in their tally.

Bragging rights are important. Avatar will remain Fox releases in record books, Disney has nothing to do with that.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Your color coding is slightly off.

Beauty and the Beast (2017) was not Pixar.

The Incredibles 2 (2018) was Pixar.

Thanks. I had them colored differently for an older version of the chart. Tried to match them with colors from their logos this time around.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Watch Avatar 2 get pushed back a year once again to Christmas 2022 so that he can accomplish glassless 3D.

About the only way anyone will watch it in 3D now. The format is on its way to dying off completely in the next year or two. 

37 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Wait, what? That Indonesian number is beyond my expectation! Buzz was almost non existence. Musical is not a favorite genre here. There was a riot in the capital city on the same day as Aladdin's OD. So I didn't expect much. But the reception is overwhelmingly good. A Whole New World is suddenly a hit again after almost 30 years. The WOM's gonna be great. With this OW it could outgross BatB, which is currently the biggest musical film ever.

4 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Will Disney miss the chance to distribute the highest grossing film for first time in their History? That's only thing missing in their tally.

Bragging rights are important. Avatar will remain Fox releases in record books, Disney has nothing to do with that.

I know it´s very difficult to know exactly, but maybe between 1937 and 1975, probably Snow White was the n. 1 all time ww, so Disney it had this Crown once....

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Another 40m OS and 60 DOM isn't impossible, just hard. Highly doubt Disney will let EG go down without a fight when it will get so close. All it would take is a much promoted and hyped re-release by Disney like Avatar got with perhaps some added footage and it can likely make up the 10-15m it might fall short of now. 

Some Father's Day extra footage/big event could get it done...that's the date they should look to push it for a big haul...

• Like 1

Yeah I’m not sure Disney will definitely push EG above Avatar. Outside of pushing certain films to $100 and getting BP past $700m when it got so close, they haven’t shown much interest in milestones. They might, but EG has already done above and beyond what anyone expected at the beginning of this year. Yeah, some fans wanted it to be #1 and many others were sure Avatar was going down after the opening, but almost no one was expecting $2.6b+ a year ago. Disney made $500m on IW, will make even more with EG. That’s their ultimate goal, the revenue. Not a milestone that’ll be primarily used for fan bragging rights. 

• Like 2

So endgame grossed 32 million this weekend worldwide. It's a hundred and ten million short of Avatar. I don't see how it gets there now. China is done, the North American market is only going to bear maybe another 50 million. I think it's actually going to fall short now.

Pretty good weekend.  Looks like "Aladdin" will pull a little over "Solo" numbers.   "John Wick" got hit hard but it's already the highest grossing film of the Franchise and the 4th Film has been greenlit, so everything is icing on the cake now.   Nice hold for "Endgame", it has stabilized but again "Awakens" is out reach and it's gonna be tight for "Avatar" so in the end it might come in #2 Domestic and #2 Globally.  Pikachu is doing pretty good as well and is on pace to take the Worldwide and Domestic Video Game Record.  All that talk and Pika Pika is about to be #1 on the Video Game Adaption list (I know, it's not a great list, lol).  Not shocked by "Brightburn" numbers, it looked a little niche for this weekend but it was very low budget so that opening isn't that bad.    Audiences plates were really full This holiday weekend. Families: Aladdin, Pika.  Teens/Adults: John Wick/Endgame.  Brightburn and Booksmart got what was left.  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 2

Just now, Krissykins said:

So a worldwide total around $600m seems likely with that opening. 

Ok considering the bad buzz, but I never expected Aladdin to gross less than... eh, Maleficent ($760m). 

Aladdin making less than Maleficent is terrible.....But hey, let us celebrate its  ''over performance''....:popcorn:

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

So endgame grossed 32 million this weekend worldwide. It's a hundred and ten million short of Avatar. I don't see how it gets there now. China is done, the North American market is only going to bear maybe another 50 million. I think it's actually going to fall short now.

Yeh I think it’s chances are dead now too. 

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

If Disney decided not to intervene, avatar is quite safe now.

But the issue is now will disney intervenes to get the crown? It is something that within the realm of possibility, and EG looked to lost to Avatar by only 20m-25m, could be even lesser, it is a margin that a big studio like Disney can cover up. 

There is no point to argue will EG to pass avatar, because now that question is not lies with normal market force, but merely an Disney decision   

5 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Pretty good weekend.  Looks like "Aladdin" will pull a little over "Solo" numbers.   "John Wick" got hit hard but it's already the highest grossing film of the Franchise and the 4th Film has been greenlit, so everything is icing on the cake now.   Nice hold for "Endgame", it has stabilized but again "Awakens" is out reach and it's gonna be tight for "Avatar" so in the end it might come in #2 Domestic and #2 Globally.  Pikachu is doing pretty good as well and is on pace to take the Worldwide and Domestic Video Game Record.  All that talk and Pika Pika is about to be #1 on the Video Game Adaption list (I know, it's not a great list, lol).  Not shocked by "Brightburn" numbers, it looked a little niche for this weekend but it was very low budget so that opening isn't that bad.    Audiences plates were really full This holiday weekend. Families: Aladdin, Pika.  Teens/Adults: John Wick/Endgame.  Brightburn and Booksmart got what was left.  

A lot of teen girls showed up for Aladdin in my theater. Romance, beautiful actors, music, no wonder female audience was 59% if I'm not mistaken.

17 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Very true. I think all studios want bragging rights. We, as box office observers know that Avatar was a Fox property, but there are still four more Avatar movies to come. If they all do well, the brand will be unmistakably Disney’s.