sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

2 minutes ago, syntaxerror said:

Can’t blame them for doing remakes when everytime they ventured for original IP it’s been terrible - John Carter, Tomorrowland, A Wrinkle In Time.

Just a joke. They do need to figure out how to make successful new IP, though. There are only so many beloved animated classics they can remake.

Lion King passing Endgame is hilarious. Some of you guys are setting yourself up for such a disappointment when this grosses less than 400 mill.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Lion King passing Endgame is hilarious. Some of you guys are setting yourself up for such a disappointment when this grosses less than 400 mill.

Again, TLK is not grossing less than TJB.

15 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Disney not giving the sacrifice to boxoffice gods this year and see Endgame is about to miss Avatar. 2020 looks terrible, with 30-50% drop staring in face. God save Disney. @Porthos be strong.

Eh, but remember, movies are #3 on Disney's revenue. TV, yes, TV, is #1. Parks #2. This was always part of their plan-to make a killing in 2019 and then launch Disney plus at the end to make that the focus in 2020.  Most of Disney's stories in the entertainment news will be about Disney plus next year.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

I wanna know why do you think it will do just 400. If it was some other poster, I would have ignored but its you so, why?

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

Who has said that? And lol @ under $400m. I feel like you're willfully ignoring common sense now.

Edited by VenomXXR

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Really depends on how the marketing ramp up is received. Hype is certainly there. Grossing more than Endgame is a tall task. I see no reason it can't do Incredibles 2 numbers. 

Under 400 would shock me. Hell, under Beauty and the Beast would surprise me too.

4 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I wanna know why do you think it will do just 400. If it was some other poster, I would have ignored but its you so, why?

Because everybody is basing this on the fact that it was popular 25 years ago. I know it's done well on home video I know it's selling out and doing really well on Broadway and so on and so on but that doesn't necessarily translate into box-office dollars. The Lion King is not that old of a property. I just don't see the massive numbers that you guys do. I'm saying it's going to gross close to a billion dollars I just don't think it's going to do stupid numbers like you guys do. Some of the people here think is going to do 2 billion dollars or 800 million domestically? That just blows my mind.

• Like 2

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Really depends on how the marketing ramp up is received. Hype is certainly there. Grossing more than Endgame is a tall task. I see no reason it can't do Incredibles 2 numbers. 

Under 400 would shock me. Hell, under Beauty and the Beast would surprise me too.

Well we'll find out soon enough.

The predictions for Lion King remind me of the predictions for Phantom menace when it came out in 1999. everybody and their mother was convinced it was going to easily Cruise pass Titanic and it didn't come anywhere close to it. There's just a tendency to over predict films with a nostalgic aesthetic to them. You can't just take one film, for instance jungle book, and say that the Lion King is easy going to cruise past that.

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Because everybody is basing this on the fact that it was popular 25 years ago. I know it's done well on home video I know it's selling out and doing really well on Broadway and so on and so on but that doesn't necessarily translate into box-office dollars. The Lion King is not that old of a property. I just don't see the massive numbers that you guys do. I'm saying it's going to gross close to a billion dollars I just don't think it's going to do stupid numbers like you guys do. Some of the people here think is going to do 2 billion dollars or 800 million domestically? That just blows my mind.

It's pikachu all over again.

• Like 2

@Charlie Jatinder do you remember when we had differing opinions on end game passing the force awakens in North America? And you basically dazzled me with numbers and told me that it would easily get past it? You kind of even told me that I was silly for thinking otherwise. And now you're kind of doing the same thing with the Lion King. I'm not always right but I'm not stupid either. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, baumer said:

The Lion King is not that old of a property. I just don't see the massive numbers that you guys do.

BATB (2017) did over $500m in March/April with an average reception. Nearly $1.3 billion worldwide. Aladdin, right now, is going to make over $110m in 4 days domestically and despite terrible marketing and lackluster reception all the way until release is poised to break out.

The original TLK was 50-70% bigger than both of their original films. Idk what more anyone can tell you at this point. Nothing on Earth, literally, points to this being smaller than BATB (2017). It's like staring into the sun and missing the asteroid headed towards you. 

• Like 4