sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

On the subject of Booksmart and the current state of comedies at the box office, it's worth pointing out that the three highest grossing comedies of this year so far are The Upside (which was really a dramedy), that Madea movie, and What Men Want. The latter topped out at $54M. That just goes to show how dire things are for the genre right now.

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Because everybody is basing this on the fact that it was popular 25 years ago. I know it's done well on home video I know it's selling out and doing really well on Broadway and so on and so on but that doesn't necessarily translate into box-office dollars. The Lion King is not that old of a property. I just don't see the massive numbers that you guys do. I'm saying it's going to gross close to a billion dollars I just don't think it's going to do stupid numbers like you guys do. Some of the people here think is going to do 2 billion dollars or 800 million domestically? That just blows my mind.

How do you explain 224mn teaser views?

In country like India, it has 17k Interested count on Bookmyshow, almost 50 days out release, when Aladdin was at same level just 15 days out. And here it isn't that nostalgic even, its Just trailer worked in big way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

How do you explain 224mn teaser views?

In country like India, it has 17k Interested count on Bookmyshow, almost 50 days out release, when Aladdin was at same level just 15 days out. And here it isn't that nostalgic even, its Just trailer worked in big way.

How many views did Pikachu have?

I feel like The Lion King being the biggest of the remakes of Disney's Holy Grail Quartet is as obvious as it was that Aladdin was always gonna be the lowest grossing of them all (The Little Mermaid will likely be bigger even without a cast in place yet). I highly doubt it goes below Beauty and the Beast's $504M total.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

@Charlie Jatinder do you remember when we had differing opinions on end game passing the force awakens in North America? And you basically dazzled me with numbers and told me that it would easily get past it? You kind of even told me that I was silly for thinking otherwise. And now you're kind of doing the same thing with the Lion King. I'm not always right but I'm not stupid either. 

Yeah, I got wrong there and If I remember we were in 2nd weekend and I had higher Friday than what actuals come. Was expecting 155 plus weekend and it came just 147. Those 8mn are big in deciding projectile. By Tuesday I was convinced of not beating TFA.

Besides, I am not saying TLK is locked for 800. Just that 400 is too low. BaTB is probably floor everywhere.

17 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I wanna know why do you think it will do just 400. If it was some other poster, I would have ignored but its you so, why?

I agree. I think end game might be super hard but 400? It's gonna  past that by week 3. If not sooner.

Just now, Alli said:

I guess people don't like vulgar comedies these days. they had their success, but nowdays the audience reject them

No, the issue is studios aren't marketing them properly.  Less than two years ago we saw what happens when a studio has confidence in an R-rated comedy's quality and gives it a proper marketing campaign/release date (Girls Trip).  They just don't care enough to try anymore, it seems.

15 minutes ago, baumer said:

Because everybody is basing this on the fact that it was popular 25 years ago. I know it's done well on home video I know it's selling out and doing really well on Broadway and so on and so on but that doesn't necessarily translate into box-office dollars. The Lion King is not that old of a property. I just don't see the massive numbers that you guys do. I'm saying it's going to gross close to a billion dollars I just don't think it's going to do stupid numbers like you guys do. Some of the people here think is going to do 2 billion dollars or 800 million domestically? That just blows my mind.

Make a sub 1 billion Lion King club. It will be the inverse of the Alita 1b club.

With Aladdin with mediocre reviews exploding I don't see how people think Lion King won't go insane. I'm going low imo and that's 525 DOM. Feeling like 550 is more likely as well.

You nailed end game not beating TFA or even sniffing it. It's time for you to have a reversal of fortunes :)

Lol

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

I just think you guys are making a lot of assumptions. You're assuming that because the jungle book made a certain amount and you're assuming that because Beauty and the Beast made a certain amount that the Lion King is going to make more. That's a lot of assumptions in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I just think you guys are making a lot of assumptions. You're assuming that because the jungle book made a certain amount and you're assuming that because Beauty and the Beast made a certain amount that the Lion King is going to make more. That's a lot of assumptions in my opinion.

Both were just decent. Lion King will be 90% RT or higher imo

Follow-up to the billion-dollar worldwide movies post:

U0Nq1rP.png

Still some slots open between A:E and CM. Should in theory be at minimum two more >CM if it follows 2017-2018. One more >CM if it follows 2014, 2015, and 2016. Or more top-heavy than the past 5 years if more than two >CM.

This is where The Lion King and/or The Rise of Skywalker and/or Frozen 2 can potentially come in, if not also Toy Story 4 as far as Disney movies go.

Edited by MagnarTheGreat

All I want from TLK is to finally remove the “highest grossing disappointment” record from blemishing Avengers. Tidy 1.406 ;) 

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Haha 1

Just now, baumer said:

I just think you guys are making a lot of assumptions. You're assuming that because the jungle book made a certain amount and you're assuming that because Beauty and the Beast made a certain amount that the Lion King is going to make more than I was. That's a lot of assumptions in my opinion.

It's anecdotal evidence based on what similar re-makes have done, analyzed against the originals to TLK's original. You're making way more assumptions than all of us, and yours seem to have no basis other than how you feel lol

1 minute ago, VenomXXR said:

It's anecdotal evidence based on what similar re-makes have done, analyzed against the originals to TLK's original. You're making way more assumptions than all of us, and yours seem to have no basis other than how you feel lol

Sometimes you gotta go with your gut.