sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

5 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Solo had 57% drop from true FSS. We can expect 50-55% from Aladdin I guess. $37-41mn Approx. Let's pinpoint to $38-40mn.

Audience WOM was bad though 64% audience score is pretty yikes. 

Edited by cdsacken

1 hour ago, Pure Spirit said:

We don’t agree on much but I’m with you on this. I love the taste/texture but I don’t like the heart palpitations.

If a caffeine product doesn't give you heart palpitations, it's not doing its job. That's how you know it's working -- when the heart attack feels imminent! :P

Here's the thing about TLK. It's a 4-quadrant movie whereas BatB was not. BatB appealed SO much for women and men didn't go to see it on their own as a general rule. Males will go to see TLK. Females LOVE TLK. It's as 4-quadrant as you can get with any film.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, AndyChrono said:

Really hoping Aladdin can get around 45m next weekend.

Fri: 12m (-50% from True Friday)

Sat: 19.2m (+60%)

Sun: 13.8m (-28.1%)

45m

If it weren't for the fact it's going to lose all of it's IMAX and PLF screens, it might be possible. 

But ATP will go down quite a bit next weekend, so a -50% in admissions from True Friday this week will be more like a 55-60% dollar wise. 

I do think it has a shot at 40 million though if it's Saturday/Sunday are really strong. 

1 minute ago, jedijake said:

Here's the thing about TLK. It's a 4-quadrant movie whereas BatB was not. BatB appealed SO much for women and men didn't go to see it on their own as a general rule. Males will go to see TLK. Females LOVE TLK. It's as 4-quadrant as you can get with any film.

I'm pretty sure BatB was a 4 quad film. 
You don't get to 500 million without appealing to at least some of each of the 4 quads. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

I'm pretty sure BatB was a 4 quad film. 
You don't get to 500 million without appealing to at least some of each of the 4 quads. 

But TLK definitely has a much greater male appeal than BATB, and I don't think it's compensated for by a drop in female appeal

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

But TLK definitely has a much greater male appeal than BATB, and I don't think it's compensated for by a drop in female appeal

No doubt. 

I'm just saying, you can't say BatB was not a 4 quad film when it hit 500 million at the box office and is in the top 15 domestic grosses, above such titles as Finding Dory, Age of Ultron and JW:FK. It didn't beat all those films by appealing to just one or two quads....

57 minutes ago, Menor said:

Exactly that's the point. Females love TLK equally as much as BatB if not more. And males CERTAINLY like TLK more than BatB. So it's an added bonus. Well it's like a whole added gender.

Not saying that there weren't males that liked BatB. But did you have many young boys and college aged men who would voluntarily want to see BatB? Not nearly the amount that will want to see TLK.

Imagine if End Game was also a musical. There ya go!

9 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Exactly that's the point. Females love TLK equally as much as BatB if not more. And males CERTAINLY like TLK more than BatB. So it's an added bonus. Well it's like a whole added gender.

Not saying that there weren't males that liked BatB. But did you have many young boys and college aged men who would voluntarily want to see BatB? Not nearly the amount that will want to see TLK.

Imagine if End Game was also a musical. There ya go!

Uh, no. 

Look, I'm of the opinion that TLK is going to do big business and probably pass 600 million DOM, but I don't have illusions of grandeur that it is somehow going to be an EndGame like phenom with college aged men and up. It will perform like a regular Disney family film with this segment. 

Also, where are you sourcing these data points you are arguing. 

What are the figures of male vs. female attendance to BatB that you have? 

Of the males that attended, how many were in the 18-49 age group?

Because according to opening weekend figures from Mojo, it was a 60-40 split for female/male on opening weekend. 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4276&p=.htm

Assuming it stayed around the same split for the entire run, that's approx. $200 million dollars brought in by just the males, or more than what John Wick 3 will make in it's entire domestic run.
So yeah, TLK isn't going to be "like a whole added gender". BatB made hundreds of millions from that gender as well........

4 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

29.5-29.75 (31.3 29.7 29.5 : 90.5)

Glad to see EndGame staying flat for Sunday. 

That's about +400K from estimates. Should make for a strong Monday number as well. 

That number for Aladdin is just incredible. 

110-112 4 day seems likely. 

Also great for John Wick.