sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

Lion King has everything going for it. Remake of one of the most popular films of all time, Mid July release date with little competition, Beyonce and Donald Glover doing songs, From the director of the big hit The Jungle Book, state of the art FX.  Has no business underperforming in any way with all the advantages it has

11 minutes ago, cannastop said:

What makes you think the reviews of The Lion King are going to be much better? Also, all of the stars are voice acting, which might lower the draw power.

Jon Favreau. Look at his track record and you see what people have a lot of confidence in The Lion King. That's something that can't be said about directors like Guy Richie and Tim Burton.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Famed thespian Beyonce.

It didn't hurt Whitney in The Bodyguard or Gaga in ASIB

When she starts singing and promoting her songs and the movie no one will care.  

She's also not the lead and I'm sure her acting won't be worse than Watson in B&B and again she can sing. 

Edited by TalismanRing

20 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Famed thespian Beyonce.

I mean Dreamgirls and obsessed where box office hits. Beyonce turns anything she touches into to gold so she can only help The Lion King even more. Plus who wouldn't want to hear a collaboration with her and Elton John and Hans Zimmer

Edited by Curtis1986

1 minute ago, Curtis1986 said:

I mean Dreamgirls and obsessed where box office hits. Beyonce turns anything she touches him to gold so she can only help The Lion King even more.

I forgot about Dreamgirls, it's been so long.  Yeah, she'll be fine and Favs works well with actors

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

TLK also doesn't have a princess...say what you will about the remakes, but what ones have been the highest performers?  The princess ones...that fan base is enormous, and will practically watch and love anything:)...

Without the princesses, you seem to need to make a helluva movie to be the big draw...so, TLK better be a helluva movie:)...

One thing it better not be is like a documentary-realistic-look with singing animals...that's not gonna sell to the average GA base (although the critics might love it)...

Who needs a princess when you have the QUEEN on board?

27 minutes ago, John Marston said:

From the director of the big hit The Jungle Book

28 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

Jon Favreau. Look at his track record and you see what people have a lot of confidence in The Lion King. That's something that can't be said about directors like Guy Richie and Tim Burton.

I'm sorry, have i just stumbled into a parallel universe where Jon Favreau is some legendary acclaimed filmmaker?

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I'm sorry, have i just stumbled into a parallel universe where Jon Favreau is some legendary acclaimed filmmaker?

He doesn't need to be to be much better and more reliable than Ritchie and sadly Burton hasn't been the acclaimed Burton in almost two decades.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

I mean Dreamgirls and obsessed where box office hits. Beyonce turns anything she touches into to gold so she can only help The Lion King even more. Plus who wouldn't want to hear a collaboration with her and Elton John and Hans Zimmer

What makes you think Zimmer will be involved with the songs?

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

Legendary no. Very good and reliable yes.

that is an interesting descriptor for a director responsible for one of the biggest bombs of all time.

• ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, jedijake said:

Aladdin's success (er, going beyond expectations) will only help TLK. We went from "Guys Ritchie was a horrible choice, blue Willie looks like a nightmarish joke, Mena looks and sounds terrible, this movie is going to fail" to "they need to make a sequel". There is suddenly good will (no pun intended) toward remakes.

TLK surely didn’t need Aladdin to do well on a holiday weekend. TLK will be massive because it is TLK. Opening weekend will beat BatB’s opening easily. 

he's also the same director that brought us huge box office and critical Acclaim hits like Iron Man, elf, and just recently The Jungle Book. Considering Cowboys & Aliens is his only critically and financially box office failure I would save The Lion King is in great hands.