sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Wow! So hopefully Lion King can also gross 100 mil!

The point is Favreau has never really had a major bomb. Cowboys and Aliens lost money, but it's no John Carter or Warcraft, movies that couldn't even reach "blockbuster" status domestically. 

48 minutes ago, Menor said:

1 PM has added 8k since 9 am, significantly faster rate than the past three days, maybe could go for 25-26

Wow, that's pretty crazy. So possibly $116 million 4-day. Let's keep in mind that's up from $104+ million Saturday morning with Friday numbers in mind. Definitely not willing to jump on the $300+ million hype train but I am starting to believe there might be a scenario in which Aladdin does end up there domestically.

If it can squeeze a bit more and get to $26.6 million Aladdin would overtake Fast & Furious 6 to become the 4th best Memorial Day weekend.

Edited by AlexMA
added another line

6 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

The point is Favreau has never really had a major bomb. Cowboys and Aliens lost money, but it's no John Carter or Warcraft, movies that couldn't even reach "blockbuster" status domestically. 

ahahaha suggesting that WARCRAFT's $430m success is somehow less than the epic bomb of Cowboys and Aliens. 

Like I said - Cowboys & Aliens was one of the biggest bombs in history

Aladdin went up again...$90m for the 3-day. I know Disney must be very relieved. Exceeded expectations.

Disney = Teflon.

If Aladdin can do this well amid bad early buzz this bodes well for Disney's 2020 which looks to be a down year by a significant margin.

24 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Zathura says hello.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Aladdin went up again...$90m for the 3-day. I know Disney must be very relieved. Exceeded expectations.

Disney = Teflon.

If Aladdin can do this well amid bad early buzz this bodes well for Disney's 2020 which looks to be a down year by a significant margin.

Mary Poppins Returns would like to talk.

18 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Disney = Teflon.

Aladdin's solely doing well because of WoM. I think any big IP can do well if it's well made and audience ends up enjoying it. Don't know what critics were thinking while reviewing the movie. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, harsh3090416 said:

Aladdin's solely doing well because of WoM. I think any big IP can do well if it's well made and audience ends up enjoying it. Don't know what critics were thinking while reviewing the movie. 

Except Grace Randolph who pretty much reflected the audience reactions.

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

SIXTEEN years ago - hence almost two decades  - and it still wasn't Burton in his prime.

I'd argue that Burton didn't really fall off until Alice in Wonderland (post-Sweeney Todd, which was critically acclaimed), and even after Alice in Wonderland he still made two well-received movies (Frankenweenie/Big Eyes)

My theater has 5 showtimes a day for The Intruder and 5 showtimes a day for A Dog's Journey.  Meanwhile, Endgame is down to 3 showtimes a day.  That's 10 for Dennis Quaid and 3 for Avengers

Edited by That One Guy
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Disney = Teflon.

14 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Mary Poppins Returns would like to talk.

So would Nutcracker, Christopher Robin, A Wrinkle In Time.

And some other flick whose name escapes me at the moment.

Oh yes, Tomorrowland.

Edited by Porthos

7 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Tried reading the reviews to find out?

Did it still doesn't make any sense. Like I said before they were going with the flow of people's reaction to the trailers instead of actually doing their job and writing an unbiased review.    

Some of the reviews:---->

"Smith understandably didn't want to compete with Williams, but as the big, blue, top-knotted Genie, he's uncharacteristically bland. Even the magic carpet in this movie looks bummed out"   "

Disney needs three wishes for its live-action "Aladdin" remake: for a better Genie, a better script and a soul." 

"After what we've seen and heard from the late, great Robin Williams, Will Smith's act -- even with some special effects -- wears thin rather quickly." 

Just now, harsh3090416 said:

Did it still doesn't make any sense. Like I said before they were going with the flow of people's reaction to the trailers instead of actually doing their job and writing an unbiased review.    

Some of the reviews:---->

"Smith understandably didn't want to compete with Williams, but as the big, blue, top-knotted Genie, he's uncharacteristically bland. Even the magic carpet in this movie looks bummed out"   "

Disney needs three wishes for its live-action "Aladdin" remake: for a better Genie, a better script and a soul." 

"After what we've seen and heard from the late, great Robin Williams, Will Smith's act -- even with some special effects -- wears thin rather quickly." 

did you read the full reviews or pull blurbs from Rotten Tomatoes