sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

2 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I don't think there was  conspiracy or anything but I do thing Aladdin was definitely better than BATB and I feel there was a portion of critic not wanting to like the movie due to all the online vitriol it had for no reason. 

It doesn't make sense for Aladdin to be rotten but BATB to b in the 70s/ 

You have nothing to back this up unless you can find a large portion of critics explicitly stating somewhere that they wanted to go in hating this movie.  Maybe they just didn’t like it for reasons that they outlined in their reviews, while some critics liked BATB while disliking Aladdin for other reasons? Weird to die on this hill

23 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

To a lesser degree the same thing happened with Venom. Critics acted like it was the worst movie every created. Audience thought it was fine, entertaining and all over the place.

Venom as a film was poorly made and the rotten score was well earned. That being said, it was very fun to watch and laugh at / with - the attitude of being "all over the place" was definitely an issue - In My Opinion of course.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Venom as a film was poorly made and the rotten score was well earned. That being said, it was very fun to watch and laugh at / with - the attitude of being "all over the place" was definitely an issue - In My Opinion of course.

Critics put it in you've got served level and it's not that bad. It's a damn mess but in rewatch I found that I enjoyed the big scenes more, specifically with Venom and Hardy. Still a B- for me even C+ but not an F.

Rotten like 50 sure. Not a 29%, top critics 20%.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

I believe they should detach their own personal negative bias before seeing a film. I believe you should think about the review from other perspectives of who would want to see it and how they would enjoy it. My review or your review individually mean diddly crap. A professional critic's opinion is often used to determine if people view a film. With that comes a responsibility to be honest, independent and consistent. 

What you just described was the critic arena pre the blog-age.

If RT actually held the reviews with actual legitimacy instead of it being open to whomever seems to apply it would help some of the craziness that is seen by films over and under scoring.

Film Criticism overall is not as good as it used to be - particularly since the old crowd I grew up reading has retired and passed on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

If RT actually held the reviews with actual legitimacy instead of it being open to whomever seems to apply it would help some of the craziness that is seen by films over and under scoring.

Film Criticism overall is not as good as it used to be - particularly since the old crowd I grew up reading has retired and passed on.

Roger Ebert......man I liked that guy. He was one who took his profession seriously.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

I believe they should detach their own personal negative bias before seeing a film. I believe you should think about the review from other perspectives of who would want to see it and how they would enjoy it. My review or your review individually mean diddly crap. A professional critic's opinion is often used to determine if people view a film. With that comes a responsibility to be honest, independent and consistent. 

Every reviewer is biased.  This is something that can’t be undone, no matter what.  That’s the entire purpose behind finding critics that you trust and agree with, and the entire reason why sites like Rotten Tomatoes rub me the wrong way.  Putting critics into one group and acting like they are one whole entity is not how you’re supposed to read reviews.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

With that comes a responsibility to be honest, independent and consistent. 

> complains that critics aren't validating the audience's tastes

> states that critics have a responsibility to be honest and independent

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

I'm not one to automatically snide at critics but Aladdin is definitely better than BATB lol. Like not even a question. The reviews are very weird for these films. 

Wow, someone has an opinion.

4 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Correct they let their bias creep in and failed to remain objective. Happens a lot and more often now with social media.

I mean that happens to everyone, we're all humans after all. It's very hard to always parse your feelings and remain objective, especially in this often quite toxic climate that social media proliferates.

And to go back to actual box office talk, that 15-16 preview multiplier suggests this movie will have quite the long legs at the box office. Normally I'd jump on the $300+ million bandwagon, but then I remember we have Pets 2 next week (Aladdin's 3rd weekend) and Toy Story 4 only two weeks later (5th weekend for Aladdin), so those will absolutely leave a mark. Which is why I'm currently more in the $260-280 million van if you will. With that, $50+ million in China and $300-400+ million in the rest of the world it's quite likely that we'll see Aladdin finishing somewhere around $700 million, although I would love to see it even higher, maybe even crawl to $800 million.

• Like 1

see for me this critic thing is easy.  I don't read or listen to any of them so not only do I not care what they say, I don't even know what they say :P 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Eh, I've seen plenty of subjectivity/unprofessionalism from critics at traditional publications. I'd say many critics at traditional publications are in fact the worst offenders at describing how something fits to their personal preferences rather than for the audience that would be interested in seeing it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

> complains that critics aren't validating the audience's tastes

> states that critics have a responsibility to be honest and independent

Critics should be mindful of all viewers. They can't state their objections in am overall review describing what will appeal and what won't. You can keep arguing but I'm done. 

Edited by cdsacken

Critics should not be influenced by popularity. That way Transformers and Twilight should also get strong reviews as it was popular and liked by its fan base !!!!!

That said for Aladdin the trend is promising. Its at least making 250m at this point. Unfortunately the schedule is packed. This would have grossed 300m+ next year for sure.

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Every reviewer is biased.  This is something that can’t be undone, no matter what.  That’s the entire purpose behind finding critics that you trust and agree with, and the entire reason why sites like Rotten Tomatoes rub me the wrong way.  Putting critics into one group and acting like they are one whole entity is not how you’re supposed to read reviews.

One can avoid being snide, whiny and pissy. Most of the critics who disliked Aladdin failed at all 3. Reviews like that are unnecessary and they don't help.

Critics are a tool to help people determine if they wish to see a movie, certainly spend a ton in theaters.

Random bloggers with zero audience not on RT can complain to their hearts delight. We aren't going to agree so have a good one.

Edited by cdsacken

In a time when certain critics are known for being intentionally contrarian like those who want to be the first to give a rotten to a perfect score, it’s easy to be cynical about RT and critics’ reviews. For Aladdin, the reviews don’t seem to have hurt it much. So some critics didn’t want or like Aladdin. It happens. The critics stated their own opinions about the movie. A large portion of the audience felt differently. I actually think it might motivate some people to see the movie to check if they’ll agree with the critics or audience. Not the first time it’s happened. 

It is amusing though that a Disney movie has people thinking that critics are biased against it when for a while now, *some* people believed the opposite. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, AlexMA said:

I mean that happens to everyone, we're all humans after all. It's very hard to always parse your feelings and remain objective, especially in this often quite toxic climate that social media proliferates.

And to go back to actual box office talk, that 15-16 preview multiplier suggests this movie will have quite the long legs at the box office. Normally I'd jump on the $300+ million bandwagon, but then I remember we have Pets 2 next week (Aladdin's 3rd weekend) and Toy Story 4 only two weeks later (5th weekend for Aladdin), so those will absolutely leave a mark. Which is why I'm currently more in the $260-280 million van if you will. With that, $50+ million in China and $300-400+ million in the rest of the world it's quite likely that we'll see Aladdin finishing somewhere around $700 million, although I would love to see it even higher, maybe even crawl to $800 million.

I wouldn't put it past Disney to do Aladdin/TS4 double features tbh. (Their May releases almost always have unnaturally good holds on the June weekend when something from Pixar comes out, although most of those May films have been PG-13 blockbusters, making them less of a direct competition). After the next two weekends it should be a smooth sailing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Critics should not be influenced by popularity. That way Transformers and Twilight should also get strong reviews as it was popular and liked by its fan base !!!!!

That said for Aladdin the trend is promising. Its at least making 250m at this point. Unfortunately the schedule is packed. This would have grossed 300m+ next year for sure.

Top critical rated Twilight higher. I rest my case. Transformers higher too (which I frickin loved despite the flaws)

Edited by cdsacken