sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

To add to the critics discussion, a critics job is not to please an audience, a critics job is to give their honest opinion of a movie. There is no conspiracy if a movie gets poor or amazing reviews. It's just the nature of the system

I mostly thought the Aladdin remake was fine, but I can understand why critics were apathetic about it at best in general. That being said, the movie is looking to be a success, and in our business driven world, that's what matters most. A lot of people worked on Aladdin, and they are getting paid off for their hard work. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

So how many of the TOP 10 domestic films this year will belong to Disney?

My current predictions:

1. Avengers Endgame - 850 million (Disney)

2. Star Wars 9 -625 million (Disney)

3. The Lion King - 600 million (Disney)

4. Frozen 2 - 500 million (Disney)

5. Captain Marvel - 425 million (Disney)

6. Spider-man Far From Home - 350 million (Sony)

7. Toy Story 4 - 350 million (Disney)

8. Jumanji Sequel - 350 million (Sony)

9. It: Chapter 2 - 320 million (Warner Bros.)

10. Aladdin - 300 million (Disney)

Total Domination!
It will take a long while before any studio will match Disney's 2019 performance in any given year...

My current predictions:

1. Avengers Endgame - 850 million (Disney)

2. The Lion King - 700 million (Disney)

3. Star Wars 9 -625 million (Disney)

4. Frozen 2 - 500 million (Disney)

5. Captain Marvel - 430 million (Disney)

6. Toy Story 4 - 425  million (Disney)

7. Spider-man Far From Home - 425 million (Sony/Marvel (Disney))

8. Aladdin - 300 million (Disney)

9. Jumanji 2 - 275 million (Sony)

10. IT Chapter 2 - 265 million (Warner Bros)

Top 8. I won't be surprised seeing Maleficent sequel in Top 10.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder

2 hours ago, Menor said:

5 PM I am still getting 26ish comparing with Solo's drop for the day, depending on how night sales go. At minimum, I'm confident the drop will be significantly better than Solo's ( which was -24.4%).  EDIT: Slight error, more like 25.5 is what the number suggests for now (which would still be great). I will conservatively guess 25, wouldn't be surprised by anywhere 24-26 but I'm thinking the high end unless the sales completely die after 7 pm.

26-28 is what I'm seeing now, maybe today is the day Pulse finally fails as a comp because that would be a hard to believe drop. If it continues on this pace it would actually match/exceed the sales of yesterday but I'm assuming it drops off at some point due to a workday tomorrow. 

• Like 1

People seem to confuse "critics didn't like it" with "if you are a critic, you didn't like it". The RT score of Aladdin means that if you talked to 10 critics, 6 would like it, if you talked to any critic, there is a greater chance that they liked it rather than didn't. Critics aren't a singular entity that can like or dislike a movie, sure there is a general consensus, but a general consensus doesn't mean that everyone agrees with it. 

Rotten tomatoes isn't a review site that gave Aladdin a 6/10, it is a site that informs that 6 out of every 10 critics liked aladdin, again, that is more than didn't like it.

Sure, the critics' general consensus isn't as positive as the audience general consensus, i just think statements like "The critics were too harsh on this" don't really make much sense with how rotten tomatoes and a general consensus actually works.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Menor said:

26-28 is what I'm seeing now, maybe today is the day Pulse finally fails as a comp because that would be a hard to believe drop. If it continues on this pace it would actually match/exceed the sales of yesterday but I'm assuming it drops off at some point due to a workday tomorrow. 

If I am not wrong, pulse account for only US. There will be normal Monday drop in Canada.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

If I am not wrong, pulse account for only US. There will be normal Monday drop in Canada.

Yes, but there would have been for Solo as well (which I am using its drop as a comp since it worked well yesterday).  Also just as much as the drop due to tomorrow's workday there should be an additional drop as the movie gets more walkup heavy day by day (hence why Sunday's Pulse sales were well below Sat). Still I assume your numbers will come in below my guess, I guess maybe Pulse is just overshooting for today or something.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

So we've now come to the point where Rotten Tomatoes is biased against Disney.

Biased. Against. Disney.

Sigh.

Those are your words. I never brought in Disney to the mix. Just said that some critics were biased based on the fact on how the audience reaction was after the trailers. Is it just a co-incidence that the audience reaction was Will smith looks bad as genie after the trailers and that's what some of the critics stated in their reviews? I mean anyone after watching the movie says will smith didn't do a good job as ginie or didn't fit in hasn't watched the movie. 

Just now, harsh3090416 said:

Those are your words. I never brought in Disney to the mix. Just said that some critics were biased based on the fact on how the audience reaction was after the trailers. Is it just a co-incidence that the audience reaction was Will smith looks bad as genie after the trailers and that's what some of the critics stated in their reviews? I mean anyone after watching the movie says will smith didn't do a good job as ginie or didn't fit in hasn't watched the movie. 

Did I quote you?  If not, then no worries.

But this thread is chock full of comments like "Critics are tired of Disney remakes" and "If this came out before BatB, it'd get much better reviews". 

Well, let me put it this way.  It seems like only last week I was hearing complaints that critics are too easy on Disney films and that they can't be trusted to give 'accurate' reviews when their films are out.

Oh, wait.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm back with a hot take: It's obscene how much better the live-action Aladdin is than Beauty and the Beast. It's absurd, really.  Better acting, better singing, better directing, better everything. *whisper voice* I actually thought the new Aladdin was better than the new Jungle Book, too. I'm just saying, it's REALLY good to have fun Will Smith back in our lives. I hate when people bag on critics, and I hate it in this case too, but I will say that I think if Aladdin had come out before Beauty, it would be over 80 percent on RT and Beauty would be under 45. The general weariness of the Disney live action movies increasing (justifiably!) is the only possible reason I can imagine that Beauty would have a better score from critics, who I generally find to be rather smart and correct people!

Oh yes. This is easily the best of the Disney remakes. Only other one that comes close is Pete’s Dragon

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

But this thread is chock full of comments like "Critics are tired of Disney remakes" and "If this came out before BatB, it'd get much better reviews". 

Well, let me put it this way.  It seems like only last week I was hearing complaints that critics are too easy on Disney films and that they can't be trusted to give 'accurate' reviews when their films are out.

Oh, wait.

Basically what I'm trying to point out is there are number of critics now who plan their write-ups/reviews based on the public sentiment. For me it has nothing to do with Disney but the public sentiment. Like for example End Game is 97% on rotten lol and now this Aladdin 58%. Just pointing out a trend I noticed of following public opinion/sentiment. 

Edited by harsh3090416

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Why are critics any more wrong than audiences? And in other cases, why are audiences any more wrong than critics? Like seriously, there's not even a reason to debate this. Everyone just has their own opinion.

If you like Aladdin, there's no reason why someone who didn't like it is wrong.

Likewise, if you didn't like Aladdin, there's no reason why someone who liked it is wrong. 

There’s no right and wrong, but audience is much closer to the average opinion because there are considerable more of them. There’s not some written on stone tablets objectively correct assessment of the movie, but if you want to know “if I picked somebody at random are they likely to like the movie” — as a statistical matter — audience is clearly much more valuable than critic.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Oh, wait.

“Critics are getting tired of these live action remakes” is a pretty different claim than “critics are biased against Disney.” I doubt many people who agree with the former (of which I am one) think that that has anything to do with how critics treat:  

MCU

Star Wars

Pixar

WDAS

Disney non-remake live action    

You’re conflating a plausible narrow claim with a different, much broader, wrong one (imo).

19 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Aladdin 25

JW 3 6.25

EG 5

Fantastic for Aladdin. Down only 16% from Sunday, which already increased from Saturday. WOM's in play here.

Edited by druv10