sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

1 hour ago, Skwunk said:

People seem to confuse "critics didn't like it" with "if you are a critic, you didn't like it". The RT score of Aladdin means that if you talked to 10 critics, 6 would like it, if you talked to any critic, there is a greater chance that they liked it rather than didn't. Critics aren't a singular entity that can like or dislike a movie, sure there is a general consensus, but a general consensus doesn't mean that everyone agrees with it. 

Rotten tomatoes isn't a review site that gave Aladdin a 6/10, it is a site that informs that 6 out of every 10 critics liked aladdin, again, that is more than didn't like it.

Sure, the critics' general consensus isn't as positive as the audience general consensus, i just think statements like "The critics were too harsh on this" don't really make much sense with how rotten tomatoes and a general consensus actually works.

52% for top critics. Lower average score than Twilight. Not sure how a consensus could arrive at that conclusion and I am inherently biased towards those films. I watched vampire diaries, originals, legacies, all twlight films, every Dracula film, underworld film, nearly every werewolf film etc.

But we don't have to agree about it. 

Anti Disney seems impossible given the previous review scores in the past. Wouldn't make any sense.

Edited by cdsacken

4 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

52% for top critics. Lower average score than Twilight. Not sure how a consensus could arrive at that conclusion and I am inherently biased towards those films. I watched vampire diaries, originals, legacies, all twlight films, every Dracula film, underworld film, nearly every werewolf film etc.

But we don't have to agree about it. 

Anti Disney seems impossible given the previous review scores in the past. Wouldn't make any sense.

So what are you even saying?

25-25.25 will be 2nd highest Monday for Memorial Day Weekend, only behind Indy's 26mn.

PoTC 3 added $156mn after $25mn Monday (6.24x)

Indy added $191mn after $26mn (7.34x)

Solo added $111mn after $18.5mn (6x)

PoTC 5 added $94mn after $15.5mn (6.06x)

We need to do close to Indy ($297-300mn). Solo one will take it to $266mn Approx, that's floor I guess.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

Monday above true Friday, very healthy internal weekend behavior as befits the high audience reception metrics.       

Wish I could find out how common it was to have Mon over true Friday, but with all the sites showing the stupid Thursday+Fri figures instead it’s too much of a hassle for me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

Monday above true Friday, very healthy internal weekend behavior as befits the high audience reception metrics.       

Wish I could find out how common it was to have Mon over true Friday, but with all the sites showing the stupid Thursday+Fri figures instead it’s too much of a hassle for me.

I didn't notice that. Its only film to do so I guess with 25mn or more Monday.

10 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

25-25.25 will be 2nd highest Monday for Memorial Day Weekend, only behind Indy's 26mn.

PoTC 3 added $156mn after $25mn Monday (6.24x)

Indy added $191mn after $26mn (7.34x)

Solo added $111mn after $18.5mn (6x)

PoTC 5 added $94mn after $15.5mn (6.06x)

We need to do close to Indy ($297-300mn). Solo one will take it to $266mn Approx, that's floor I guess.

WOM for Aladdin is higher than all 4 of those. It's shockingly high to be honest. It really wouldn't surprise me if it did 3.6 - 3.8x 3-day. 

Edited by VenomXXR
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Saying critics are biased against disney is the most ridiculous thing I have heard on this forum :-).

Wouldn't be the opening weekend of a Disney blockbuster if there weren't proclamations of conspiracy (whether about how they're tipping off critics or are killing other studios), I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, cdsacken said:

Critics read Twitter and stupid memes and made a decision before they ever saw the film.

Yep, I'm sure this is what all 114 of the critics that didn't like it did.  In actuality, Aladdin has a 100% once we remove the biased critics that just wanted to hate it.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Yep, I'm sure this is what all 114 of the critics that didn't like it did.  In actuality, Aladdin has a 100% once we remove the biased critics that just wanted to hate it.

Nah but better than twilight. As a lover of Twilight (team Edward ftw) even that seems like an easy thing to say. I'd guess without critics going super bitchy whiny, similar scores to Beauty and the Beast. Low 70s. Barely above Pikachu.