Eric Atreides

Best Picture Winner Parasite l October 11, 2019 (limited) l Neon l Palme d'Or winner from Bong Joon-ho

The movie is coming on full digital release on 14Jan2020 (14 weeks after its debut), one day after Oscar nomination and available for DVD/blu-ray on 28Jan2020. 

The movie has become one of the most leggiest run for foreign film or in indie market. I think the movie can challenge 25m at this point, probably even 30m if digital release didn't hurt the late run 

5 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

The movie is coming on full digital release on 14Jan2020 (14 weeks after its debut), one day after Oscar nomination and available for DVD/blu-ray on 28Jan2020. 

The movie has become one of the most leggiest run for foreign film or in indie market. I think the movie can challenge 25m at this point, probably even 30m if digital release didn't hurt the late run 

This is such a dumb fucking move. I'm still angry about it. 

5 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

movies have come out on digital and played through the awards season. green book made like an extra $20mil at the box office after it had already come out on digital. they've just gotta count on old people who don't rent movies digitally to come out to see it i guess

Edited by CoolioD1

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Still going strong. Looks like 25M+ DOM is locked. Can it leg it out to 30M with another expansion?

I think surpassing Neon's highest grossing I, Tonya is already locked.

The issue is the movie will be on digital plattform like Amazon on 14Jan. Most of the Oscar nominated film had their digital release right before the Oscar ceremony, instead of right after the Oscar nomination. (See Lady Bird, Three Billboard, or Green Book)

Never examine how much impact of digital release will exert on its run. Bohemian Rhapsody had its digital release right after the nomination and it looked fine to BR.      

Theater plays turn into movies is the new

" Best piece of filmmaking ever !"

So ambitious.

So epic.

All it needed was

an partment

and

a house.

And actors and a theater director.

(Which are the logistics of a public college.)

For the best filmmaking & movie of 2019.

All the elite circles agree.

Even Obama.

It must be true then.

The best movie of 2020 will happen mostly in a kitchen.

Edited by The Futurist
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I saw that too, not sure how I feel about it. They pretty much nailed it with the movie, y'know? I feel like this can't really help but be an inferior project by comparison. Still makes me happy to see what a hit this movie is and I guess I can't blame them for capitalizing on its success.

also expanding to around 800 theaters this weekend according to variety. that'd be its widest release so far. might be a muted expansion since it just came out on digital but it can push to $30mil.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

Why did they release on digital so soon? 
Really feels like money left in the table, especially since it’s going to have so much exposure during the ceremony itself! Oh well. 

A Star is Born still made some decent cash in theatres even after digital release, so hopefully it can too

24 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

it was genius of them to time the digital release of Parasite right after the Oscars nominations!

It's not uncommon of studios to do this. In fact, I think a mistake. Parasite and Joker (also getting a Blu-ray/DVD release this month) should have done the home video release a few weeks after their rereleases. Probably won't affect Joker much (because it's already burnt through a lot of demand) but Parasite could have benefited if they did the home video release later.

Edited by lorddemaxus

13 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's not uncommon of studios to do this. In fact, I think a mistake. Parasite and Joker (also getting a Blu-ray/DVD release this month) should have done the home video release a few weeks after their rereleases. Probably won't affect Joker much (because it's already burnt through a lot of demand) but Parasite could have benefited if they did the home video release later.

I don't think that applies too much to Parasite, the movie was available for months from local korean VODs so those who wanted to pirate it did so already, if anything the worldwide digital release rn will give it more exposure since even with the expansion, it's not really a "wide" release that's available everywhere.