Eric Duncan

Best Picture Winner Parasite l October 11, 2019 (limited) l Neon l Palme d'Or winner from Bong Joon-ho

15 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I don't think that applies too much to Parasite, the movie was available for months from local korean VODs so those who wanted to pirate it did so already, if anything the worldwide digital release rn will give it more exposure since even with the expansion, it's not really a "wide" release that's available everywhere. 

There were screener copies on the internet of films like Moonlight and A Star is Born before their post Oscar nomination rereleases but they still got pretty decent boosts. I think Parasite could have gotten the same kind of exposure if the digital release was after the actual awards where the film would have been prominently featured and will 100% win at least one award. I think doing just a theatrical rerelease right now would have let them make quite a bit more money here. I don't think a rerelease on the same week as the digital release is going to help the movie much.

All time non-English film in NA

1. Passion of the Christ (Latin, Hebrew and Aramaic) - $370.8m  

2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Chinese) - $128.1m

3. Life is Beautiful (Italian) - $57.6m

4 Hero (Chinese) - $53.7M

5. Apocalypto (Mayan) - $50.9M 

6..Instructions Not Included (spanish) - $44.4m 

7. Pan’s Labyrinth (Spanish) - $37.6m  

8. Amelie (French)- $33.2M

9. Parasite (Korean) - $28.1m

10. Fearless (Chinese) - $24..6m

11.  Il Postino(Italian) - $21.9m

12. Like Water for Chocolate (Spanish) - $21.6m

13. La Cage aux Folles (French) - $20.4m

14. Baahubali 2 ( Telugu) - $20.2m

• Like 3

lol at this movie for being so dishonest about how the world works.

I know it is hard to accept reality so let s invent things.

So the bourgeoisie  in this is presented as clueless, cold, incompetent, easy to manipulate fucks.

The have-nots are witty, smart, loving & resourceful.

I will be honest, Parasite is great dystopian sci-fi.

Forget Gravity.

Parasite is sci-fi.

So great to see the awards bodies fully embracing genre  movies.

Also, with who do you think Bong likes to spend his time with, hum ?

The people with the big house.

Always and forever.

Hypocrite.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Knock It Off 1

The Futurist sounds like the man in the basement worshipping the house and the family.

I see many similarities between Parasite and Joker+Us. All three films have the rich going on with their own lives and being oblivious to their surroundings and society as a whole. But Parasite goes a lot deeper than the other two thematically and nails the sociological and psychological dynamics.

Edited by Neucentro
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

So the bourgeoisie  in this is presented as clueless, cold, incompetent, easy to manipulate fucks.

The have-nots are witty, smart, loving & resourceful.

Not sure I agree with this, a specific family is presented has easy to manipulate, the character do point out many time that they are specially so.

Same goes for the have-nots (some live a miserable life in a secret basement)  and in like most Hoo movies, all characters are filled with flaws.

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Park Chan Wook did that really cool cut of Lady Vengeance where the colour drains from the movie as it goes on. the only black and white re-edit i found interesting. not sure how parasite would benefit from it.

It adds a superficial level of prestige.