Eric Atreides

Best Picture Winner Parasite l October 11, 2019 (limited) l Neon l Palme d'Or winner from Bong Joon-ho

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

So they are making a Parasite series with white people???? where is the outrage???? cancel HBO!!!!! :ohmygod:

I think people would be more outraged if Bong wasn’t involved in the miniseries, but he is and HBO have a good track record so I’m personally looking forward to it. Hopefully it kind of feels like an anthology companion to the film. 

9 hours ago, Jamiem said:

I think people would be more outraged if Bong wasn’t involved in the miniseries, but he is and HBO have a good track record so I’m personally looking forward to it. Hopefully it kind of feels like an anthology companion to the film. 

I'm joking. I'm happy there's no outrage and yes Bong stamp of approval helps.

• Like 1

Parasite Worldwide : $184mn (till Tuesday)

Asia & Oceania : $108mn

South Korea: $73mn

Japan: $16mn 

Taiwan: $5mn

Vietnam: $3mn

Australia: $2mn

Hong Kong: $2mn

Russia: $1.5mn

Indonesia: $1.5mn

India: $0.3mn

South East Asia: $3.5mn (could be more)

Europe : $31mn

France: $12.5mn

Germany: $4mn

Spain: $3.5mn

Italy: $2.9mn

UK: $2.3mn 

Netherlands: $2.3mn

Others: $3.5mn

Latin America : $8mn

Mexico: $5mn

Brazil: $1.7mn

Argentina: $0.9mn

Others: $0.4mn

North America : $37mn

USA: $33mn

Canada: $4mn 

Shall go for $240mn full run. May even hit $250mn. If China was running, would have had chance at $350mn.

Edited by cJS
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 1

The official worldwide numbers on comScore are $175.4mn. I suppose that's till Sunday. If so, it has crossed $180mn easily. Though let's see if that is updated next Sunday.

Edit: Yes that's official update. Expecting $182mn by Thursday globally.

Best case scenario, USA $6.5-7mn weekend, Japan could bring $3mn FSS, UK and Europe most likely $3.5mn and Rest of World bringing $3-4mn. $200mn by Sunday is possibility.

Edited by cJS
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 2

41 minutes ago, cJS said:

Parasite has grossed $5mn in Taiwan. Looking at some data, that suggest a possibility of $100-190mn in China, most around $170mn ish.

Ratio of China Breakouts to Taiwan.

Dangal: $188mn against $5.5mn: 34x

Secret Superstar: $116mn against $0.9mn: 128x (outlier)

Coco: $184mn against $4.8mn: 38x

Zootopia: $237mn against $8.7mn: 27x

Green Book: $72mn against $1.9mn: 37x

Bigger films, which have established fanbases.

Aquaman: $292mn against $15mn: ~20x

Endgame: $631mn against $29mn: 22x

Venom: $270mn against $10mn: 27x

Shame with Covid-19 we are missing that but I am told there is an unofficial ban on Korean film in China but government may allow this one to cover for the loss due to Covid-19.

Edited by cJS

10 hours ago, cJS said:

The official worldwide numbers on comScore are $175.4mn. I suppose that's till Sunday. If so, it has crossed $180mn easily. Though let's see if that is updated next Sunday.

Edit: Yes that's official update. Expecting $182mn by Thursday globally.

Best case scenario, USA $6.5-7mn weekend, Japan could bring $3mn FSS, UK and Europe most likely $3.5mn and Rest of World bringing $3-4mn. $200mn by Sunday is possibility.

6.5-7 million $ weekend in US is out of reach. Anywhere between 3 and 4 million 3 day, and 3.5-4.8 4 day is maximum, and it's still great. I would say 185-190 million $ ww by monday would be realistic.

12 minutes ago, Viktor Vilotijevic said:

6.5-7 million $ weekend in US is out of reach. Anywhere between 3 and 4 million 3 day, and 3.5-4.8 4 day is maximum, and it's still great. I would say 185-190 million $ ww by monday would be realistic.

Its $184mn by Tuesday.

Re USA; Green Book PTA jumped 65% post expansion. Parasite will have Valentines Day so expecting 80% is fine. Assuming $0.48mn Thursday on 1000 locs, that's $480 PTA. +80% gives $860 and its expanding on 2200 locs i.e. $1.9mn. Working on that

That gives 6.7

Edited by cJS
  • Astonished 1

I need to preface this by saying I thought this movie was very very good. 

It certainly wasn't my choice to win best picture. Hell, it wasn't even in my top 3. But I really think the importance of this movie's success, both box office wise and with critics and awards, is that hopefully it opens the floodgates for foreign-language films in North America. Or even foreign-language filmmakers making movies in English (i.e. Bong and Snowpiercer). It has helped break down some of those barriers that foreign-language filmmakers can still face in finding Hollywood success. And there are some AMAZING storytellers out there that I'm sure hardly any of us have ever even heard of.

And to me, having more good storytellers making more good movies is a win for just about anybody. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Increasing number of theaters doesn't guarantee the same average it had while it was playing on 1060. I would love to see those numbers, but until then I'm staying with my 3-4 million $ 3 day weekend. I want this film to have even more success, but I always think about the factor that it's out on DVD/BluRey as well.

11 hours ago, DAJK said:

I need to preface this by saying I thought this movie was very very good. 

It certainly wasn't my choice to win best picture. Hell, it wasn't even in my top 3. But I really think the importance of this movie's success, both box office wise and with critics and awards, is that hopefully it opens the floodgates for foreign-language films in North America. Or even foreign-language filmmakers making movies in English (i.e. Bong and Snowpiercer). It has helped break down some of those barriers that foreign-language filmmakers can still face in finding Hollywood success. And there are some AMAZING storytellers out there that I'm sure hardly any of us have ever even heard of.

And to me, having more good storytellers making more good movies is a win for just about anybody. 

Helps that it really wasn't arthouse at all. Was more of an exceptional pulp piece of genre bending entertainment with a good head on its shoulders... Not unlike something like Get Out when it broke out.

Handmaiden was awesome but it wouldn't and couldn't ever break out like Parasite. Same applies to Burning. Same applies to 3 Iron. Same applies to domestic arthouse stuff.

This one had a wide appeal because it's so entertaining to any audience that can get beyond subtitles. If course, many other foreign language films have that going for them too... To stick with Korean cinema, films like I Saw The Devil, Train To Busan, Oldboy, Wailing are somewhat easy sells to an audience. Others not so much. 

33 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Except for the lesbian sex scenes that coul've pull off some persons, I can't see why it couldn't break-out? It's a fantastic thriller movie on the same vein as Parasite.

Well, that's true. Period piece. Deliberately paced. Graphic, long lesbian sex scenes. Little to no action. Subject matter as a whole is extremely perverted from the heroes to the villains.

Full disclosure, it's my favorite South Korean film of the last decade abd gas a lot things a wide audience would love.

Probably one of the better pulp pervert pieces of filmmaking in recent memory. I imagine Fincher loves the fuck out if it 

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1