Eric Atreides

Best Picture Winner Parasite l October 11, 2019 (limited) l Neon l Palme d'Or winner from Bong Joon-ho

Bong easily has the most populist sensibilities of any of these korean new wave guys (maybe kim jee woon too). really unsurprising that if anyone was gonna make a major breakout korean film it would be him. that said up until a year ago i think park chan wook was the most famous Korean director internationally. But yeah, Bong lapped him with this one.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Bong easily has the most populist sensibilities of any of these korean new wave guys (maybe kim jee woon too). really unsurprising that if anyone was gonna make a major breakout korean film it would be him. that said up until a year ago i think park chan wook was the most famous Korean director internationally. But yeah, Bong lapped him with this one.

This.

Memories of Murder, The Host and Parasite are especially easy sells to a wide audience.

Park's always pretty perverted - not complaining - so even Oldboy and Lady Vengeance aren't super easy sells. JSA is an easy sell though.

Kim Jee-woon is a super easy sell... Good Bad Weird, I Saw The Devil, Age Of Shadows, Bittersweet Life... Easily sold.

Guy that did Wailing and Chaser is a little more difficult but not a hard sell either.

Of course, there's stuff like A Hard Day, The Chase, Train To Busan, Man From Nowhere, etc. that are really easy to sell too.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Who are Na Hong-jin and Kim Jee-woon then?

I Saw The Devil is a little like "Se7en" times ten (albeit more on the bloody side) so Kim Jee-woon could be like Fincher, and you can see some Fincher in the Chaser as well :ph34r:

Spoiler

btw those comps don't actually make sense, they're just for the lulz 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Well, that's true. Period piece. Deliberately paced. Graphic, long lesbian sex scenes. Little to no action. Subject matter as a whole is extremely perverted from the heroes to the villains.

Full disclosure, it's my favorite South Korean film of the last decade abd gas a lot things a wide audience would love.

Probably one of the better pulp pervert pieces of filmmaking in recent memory. I imagine Fincher loves the fuck out if it 

I don't like Western remakes, but I would love to see a remake of this movie on Fincher's hands, this movie has his style written all over it. 

Edited by The Horror of Lucas Films

Since we're talking about Korean movies, it still shocks me that they never tried to release Train to Busan in America, with a decent marketing campagn behind it, it could've had come close to $100m DOM, if there's a foreigner movie that actually had potential to break-out in America, it was the movie. 

3 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

I don't like Western remakes, but I would love to see a remake of this movie on Fincher's hands, this movie has his style written all over it. 

The Handmaiden was actually based on a british novel called Fingersmith set in the victorian era, but Park Chan-wook turned the setting into 1930s korea occupied japan. 

there's a 3 episode BBC mini-series adaptation of the novel in its original setting, doubt it's anywhere as good as Park's film though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

I've been saying this since Parasite won Palme D'Or. Bong is a commercial filmmaker and all his movies in South Korea are big mainstream hits even the smaller ones. They reached western audiences through festivals but they weren't ever considered "festival" movies. Both the Host and Mother were not deem serious enough for Cannes main competition and even Parasite's win was a big surprise. 

Parasite being by far the most succesfull Palme D'Or winner at the box office since Fahrenheit 9/11, says a lot about how uncharacteristically commercial this movie is for a Cannes winner.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Snowpiercer is the weakest of his films that I've seen. 

I thought it was by far the most interesting. Each segment has a unique aesthetic, tone, feel, but underlying all of it is a sense of dread and urgency, but also curiosity. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

tumblr_lsdct7AYXh1ql4awto2_r1_500.gifv

Yes! Song is the man. IMO a very versatile and charismatic actor. 

He obviously had done better roles but a personal favorite of mine is his character in The Good, The Bad, and The Weird. It was so fun. In fact, that was a great fun movie in general.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sam said:

Yes! Song is the man. IMO a very versatile and charismatic actor. 

He obviously had done better roles but a personal favorite of mine is his character in The Good, The Bad, and The Weird. It was so fun. In fact, that was a great fun movie in general.

Yes! I love him in Memories most, then Thirst, the Good Bad Weird then, even though it's not great, that Taxi movie. He's great in it.

He's actually especially great in Snowpiercer too. Puts the rest of the all star cast to shame.

• Like 1