Eric Atreides

Best Picture Winner Parasite l October 11, 2019 (limited) l Neon l Palme d'Or winner from Bong Joon-ho

21 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I...would like a 4K please.

Some market have them (france, germany, korea) https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Parasite-4K-Blu-ray/246518/

Probably more chance that universal will do it than Criterion (which existence for title like that make very little sense to me, what the point of doing a criterion release of Parasite, why is universal not letting Hoo put that content on their release, maybe it was because they wanted that very early release)

Edited by Barnack

11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Some market have them (france, germany, korea) https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Parasite-4K-Blu-ray/246518/

Probably more chance that universal will do it than Criterion (which existence for title like that make very little sense to me, what the point of doing a criterion release of Parasite, why is universal not letting Hoo put that content on their release, maybe it was because they wanted that very early release)

My understanding is that those other markets don't feature English subs unfortunately otherwise I'd seriously consider it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joel M said:

I've been saying this since Parasite won Palme D'Or. Bong is a commercial filmmaker and all his movies in South Korea are big mainstream hits even the smaller ones. They reached western audiences through festivals but they weren't ever considered "festival" movies. Both the Host and Mother were not deem serious enough for Cannes main competition and even Parasite's win was a big surprise. 

Parasite being by far the most succesfull Palme D'Or winner at the box office since Fahrenheit 9/11, says a lot about how uncharacteristically commercial this movie is for a Cannes winner.

Joker was also the highest grossing Venice winner in a while (and maybe ever?)

the year before that Shoplifters (2018 Cannes winner) was the 4th highest grossing film in Japan. more accessible films have been winning Cannes/Venice lately, the stuff in Berlin festival are still alot more niche though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cJS said:

have film starting with Mija catching a fish & ending with chicken rearing. How is that a lesser evil. -1 for that.

By at least 2 factor:

1) Total quality of life of the being if compared

2) We can reasonably assume the level of emotional development of the being suffering being by many scale less evil (like we would consider less evil making suffering an accarian or a mosquito than a human or monkey)

Has a bonus_ Not necessary relevant to the movie, but in general, the ecological impact by how efficient the food chain is if you compare both scenario is also by level of magnitude better.

Edited by Barnack

7 minutes ago, cJS said:

point was basically we were supposed to be emotional on the fact that animals are being killed for food.

which when a corporation do is evil but you are doing same to other animals. that's hypocrisy. at least ALF fellas were vegans.

I feel it exist an non-hypocritical position against the worst animal exploitation without being vegans, (much easier than being against hunting but no problem with all the meat you can find in a grocery store).

But yes the nature of the animal, tend to create quite the different reaction (for an example think a lot of people emotional reaction to fur coat while having no feeling at all if they see leather vest or shoes), at least in Okja we are talking of animals with very different emotional level, subbising very different life. unlike a cow and the average fur animal that are in the same ballpark.

I guess you didn't get the film then.. the film wasn't trying to push vegan and meat is bad, one dimensional idea. 

and Mija is just same as everyone. feel bad about them, but do nothing, only care about our pet.  she just wanted her pet back, that's all. that's irony of the situation.

very realistic ending and portray of us.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, imbruglia said:

I guess you didn't get the film then.. the film wasn't trying to push vegan and meat is bad, one dimensional idea. 

and Mija is just same as everyone. feel bad about them, but do nothing, only care about our pet.  she just wanted her pet back, that's all. that's irony of the situation.

very realistic ending and portray of us.

This.

13 hours ago, RealLyre said:

Joker was also the highest grossing Venice winner in a while (and maybe ever?)

the year before that Shoplifters (2018 Cannes winner) was the 4th highest grossing film in Japan. more accessible films have been winning Cannes/Venice lately, the stuff in Berlin festival are still alot more niche though.

Yeah but I think in Cannes and to lesser extent Berlin might still be something that happens from time to time. The Pianist won 2 years before Fahrenheit, and in the 90s The Piano and Pulp Fiction won back to back and the festival returned to more obscure arthouse stuff every time.

Venice is a completely different story. Their last three winners are Shape of Water, Roma and Joker. It has transformed into oscar season day1 over the last decade.

Edited by Joel M
  • Thanks 1

I just made a list of top 20 Highest Grossing Foreign Films that were nominated in any of the Academy Award categories. I put my own estimate for "Parasite" as of this sunday. I checked multiple sources, went year by year, all categories. If I made any mistakes, and someone sees them, please let me know. Hope you like it.

• The numbers on this chart refer to Global Box Office (theatrical runs only).
  • Film titles in Italics have not been nominated for Best Foreign Language Film, but in other categories (Animated Feature, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Art Directing, etc.)
  1. “Spirited Away” (2001) - Japan - 347,800,000 (1 Oscar)
  2. How’s Mowing Castle” (2004) - Japan - 236,200,000 (1 Nomination)
  3. “Life Is beautiful” (1998) - Italy - 230,100,000 (3 Oscars)
  4. “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” (2000) - Taiwan - 213,500,000 (4 Oscars)
  5. “Parasite” (2019) - South Korea - 205,000,000* (4 Oscars)
  6. “Hero” (2002) - China - 177,400,000 (1 Nomination)
  7. “Amelie” (2001) - France - 174,200,000 (5 Nominations)
  8. “The Wind Rises” (2013) - Japan - 136,500,000 (1 Nomination)
  9. “Downfall” (2004) - Germany - 93,600,000 (1 Oscar)
  10. “House Of Flying Daggers” (2004) - China - 92,900,000 (1 Nomination)
  11. “The Chorus” (2004) - France - 88,400,000 (2 Nominations)
  12. "Volver" (2006) - Spain - 87,200,000 (1 Nomination)
  13. “La Vie En Rose” (2007) - France - 86,300,000 (2 Oscars)
  14. “Das Boot” (1981) - Germany - 84,900,000 (6 Nominations)
  15. “Pan’s Labyrinth” (2006) - Mexico - 83,900,000 (3 Oscars)
  16. “Curse of the Golden Flower” (2006) - China - 78,600,000 (1 Nomination)
  17. “The Lives Of Others” (2006) - Germany - 77,400,000 (1 Oscar)
  18. A Very Long Engagement” (2004) - France - 76,600,000 (2 Nominations)
  19. “The Grandmaster” (2013) - China - 73,900,000 (2 Nominations)
  20. “Departures” (2008) - Japan - 70,500,000 (1 Oscar)
Edited by Viktor Vilotijevic
  • Like 5