Eric Duncan

Best Picture Winner Parasite l October 11, 2019 (limited) l Neon l Palme d'Or winner from Bong Joon-ho

2 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

The founder of Neon just did an interview where they mentioned the film's P&A + Oscar spend combined to $20M

I remember hearing years ago that Neon hadn't spent a ton on Parasite. It got to 2,000 theaters at its widest release (the weekend after the Oscars). Many modern awards campaigns are reportedly far more expensive than $20 million, which shows how much genuine enthusiasm and organic hype can do for a film.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I remember hearing years ago that Neon hadn't spent a ton on Parasite. It got to 2,000 theaters at its widest release (the weekend after the Oscars). Many modern awards campaigns are reportedly far more expensive than $20 million, which shows how much genuine enthusiasm and organic hype can do for a film.

20m sound like a norm but for a newly established company distributing a Korean movie, that is actually hell a lot of money to put their faith in. Don't forget that Korean film never got nominated for best foreign language before Parasite, let alone in best picture category and zero Korean film has made more than 10m at NA. Put things in perspective, that is mega-sized gamble they up against in term of statistical odd.

3 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

The founder of Neon just did an interview where they mentioned the film's P&A + Oscar spend combined to $20M

Did they disclose just how much the movie made worldwide? 

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

20m sound like a norm but for a newly established company distributing a Korean movie, that is actually hell a lot of money to put their faith in. Don't forget that Korean film never got nominated for best foreign language before Parasite, let alone in best picture category and zero Korean film has made more than 10m at NA. Put things in perspective, that is mega-sized gamble they up against in term of statistical odd.

I took the $20 million figure to be for exhibition and the awards campaign costs over the life of its domestic theatrical release (roughly September-October 2019 to March 2020). Awards campaigns are also advertising and rack up tens of millions of dollars, but the timeframe of the spending is different for a prestige movie, more spread out to after the release date compared to blockbusters.

That way if it flops in 30 theaters and the later reviews tank, the studio can forgo a wider release and minimize spending on the awards campaign. If it does well, there's money left over to do Q&A screenings around the world and "for your consideration" ads when the award shows start up. Netflix reportedly spent $30 million on Roma's campaign and that was only ever a very limited theatrical release.

Box Office Mojo, The Numbers and Wikipedia have slightly different numbers for Parasite's overall box office but it's in the $250-265 million range. Neon was only the domestic distributor though.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

No, but they did say, on average, their films made 1/3rd revenue theatrically

I took the $20 million figure to be for exhibition and the awards campaign costs over the life of its domestic theatrical release (roughly September-October 2019 to March 2020). Awards campaigns are also advertising and rack up tens of millions of dollars, but the timeframe of the spending is different for a prestige movie, more spread out to after the release date compared to blockbusters.

Yeah, this was very explicit in the interview (with the only exception being that I read it as covering the "2 year ultimate" instead of just the theatrical release - but I think that is a point of debatable interpretation). Sorry if that didn't come across in my initial comment. 

Also, to be fair, Netflix tried to get a normal-ish release for Roma but at that point theaters weren't willing to go along with a nuked theatrical window. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1