Eric Atreides

Best Picture Winner Parasite l October 11, 2019 (limited) l Neon l Palme d'Or winner from Bong Joon-ho

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Just in case, trailer of Super Deluxe, perhaps best in recent times. It is available on Netflix.

Watched this after a few relatives from India recommended it to me. It's messy and doesn't really have a specific theme or idea that it wants to convey. It's like someone watched a few Robert Altman films and tried to make a more pretentious version of his films. All the individual stories are nice but there's no connection other than "life". It's no Magnolia or Short Cuts. If we are talking about great Indian cinema from this year then I would say Jallikatu is the best one I've seen in years (I've only seen 4 Indian movies from this year though, the other two being Gully Boy and Asuran, so there may be other great ones I haven't seen). One of the most enthralling experiences I've had all year.

I think both Jallikatu and Parasite obliterate any English language film from this year in terms of quality.

Edited by lorddemaxus

34 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Watched this after a few relatives from India recommended it to me. It's messy and doesn't really have a specific theme or idea that it wants to convey. It's like someone watched a few Robert Altman films and tried to make a more pretentious version of his films. All the individual stories are nice but there's no connection other than "life". It's no Magnolia or Short Cuts. If we are talking about great Indian cinema from this year then I would say Jallikatu is the best one I've seen in years (I've only seen 4 Indian movies from this year though, the other two being Gully Boy and Asuran, so there may be other great ones I haven't seen). One of the most enthralling experiences I've had all year.

I think both Jallikatu and Parasite obliterate any English language film from this year in terms of quality.

will check Jallikatu.

8 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

However, truth be said, I don't want Parasite to win Best Picture, and become 1st foreign film to do so. Why?

Simply because it will be insult to the better films made before this or even this year which don't have oscar buzz.

Oscar are Hollywood award, they should continue to be so. If now for one off, you give best picture to a foreign film, you are stating that no foreign film was better than the best picture as per them of last year.

Just this year, there's an Indian film Super Deluxe, perhaps better than Parasite, surely better than all Hollywood films this year. Last year, Green Book won right, well there were 4 Indian films surely better than that last year and so on. Most of the time Best Picture Foreign is better than Best Picture overall and many others have better cinematic aspects.

So if you wanna make it worldwide affair, better look for films across world or rightly so just continue with Hollywood only.

I think this misunderstands how the Oscars tend to award films.

It’s American-centric awards, not American only awards.  Plenty of all-time greats lose out to films worse than them.  Parasite winning wouldn’t be a statement that it’s the first ever deserving foreign film, just that this year academy voters saw it and liked it more overall than the other nominees.

Example, Panther getting a BP nod isn’t a statement that it was the best Comic Book film ever made.  Just that in that particular year, Academy voters as a whole liked it enough to nominate it.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

yeah i dislike that kind of argument. when the departed won and people were like "but it's nowhere near scorsese's best!" so? it wasn't competing against taxi driver, goodfellas etc. it was the best film of the line-up it was in imo. if parasite is nominated it shouldn't win because no other foreign language film has won, even if it ends up being the best film in the line-up?

and frankly publicity, money, marketing, campaigning, the right distribution etc is stuff that matters when it comes to winning oscars and 99% of foreign language films don't have that but parasite does. the fact that bong joon ho has built up more of a name for himself with american cinephiles through his english language films is part of it to. like cuaron and roma the hype probably wouldn't be there if he was some newbie coming in hot with his first film.

• Like 4

From now on :

only post-marxists movies will win Oscars.

You can quote me on that in 20 years and see for yourself.

The french philosophers and sociologists of the 1960's have sadly won.

They (the oscar people) have a nice specimen here, the temptation will be too strong.

What a soothing thought it must be to think movies that win oscars are about the

filmmaking.

So sooothing.

Edited by The Futurist

Your best movie may not be the best movie to some, likewise, other's best may not your choice. This is art, not Olympics tournament.

Oscar is american or english language centric for sure, but as far as I can recall this is the only award bodies outside of international film festival that honour foreign production or foreign language as long as you play the game based on their written or unwritten "rule"

Out of top 250 IMDB's list, nearly 70% of them have at least score Oscar nomination BPicture, Best Foreign language film or Best Animation. 

Of top 100 films by THR & Empire, about 60% of them got recognized by Oscar at least with nomination of BP, BFL & BA. That ratio jumps to 75% if based on AFI top 100 list. Even the more international centric sight and sound poll will give you 25%.

So i will say Oscar strike the score quite well. 

• Like 1

I mean, does this have any real shot of winning? Maybe if it has an improbable box office run stateside and gets to $30M+ and wins a ton of critics circle awards, etc.

With Lighthouse, Uncut Gems, Jojo Rabbit, Little Women, Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood, Marriage Story, West Side Story and probably a few others I'm forgetting still yet to release too.

It'll almost definitely snag four or five major nominations. Only likely win is Best Foreign Film.

Will say SK brings it every year. Burning, Wailing, Age Of Shadows, Handmaiden the list goes on and on... One of my favorites each of the last 10+ years has been a South Korean.

Still weird to me that Bong is even this big. I remember once upon a time - 13 years ago, yeah, I'm getting old - seeing a trailer for a loopy looking monster mashup named The Host. Then, immediately mailing away for Memories Of Murder and Barking Dogs Never Bite via Netflix DVD cause there was no real streaming option then. Remember being absolutely floored by both too.

My favorites by him are still his first three movies. No particular order. Oddly, I've probably watched Barking Dogs more than anything else he's made. Certainly imperfect but something about gives me a huge smile. The chase scenes maybe more anything I guess. His warped, smirking worldview maybe too. Love that one.

Handmaiden might be my favorite movie period of the decade. SK was foolish to submit Age Of Shadows that year. I honestly don't like how that works. Maybe I'm wrong but the country submits a single film, right? Or, do they get to submit two or three?

On a separate note, when's the last time a SK movie got even a Best Foreign Language nod? Hell, inexplicably, Burning wasn't even nominated last year.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Handmaiden might be my favorite movie period of the decade. SK was foolish to submit Age Of Shadows that year. I honestly don't like how that works. Maybe I'm wrong but the country submits a single film, right? Or, do they get to submit two or three?

On a separate note, when's the last time a SK movie got even a Best Foreign Language nod? Hell, inexplicably, Burning wasn't even nominated last year.

The country submits for Foreign Language Film  - so a lot of game playing and very limiting.

This is the first SK film ever nominated which is ridiculous considering the run SK cinema has been on for over the last decade. (though I despised Burning)

4 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

one thing people seem to forget is that the Oscars are for awarding the films with the most Oscar buzz, not the best films in general. and a lot of the time the buzz is more important than the quality of the movie.

Sure , which is why we have the Oscar pundits giving odds of winning to films and performances months ahead of even seeing them.  But films need more than buzz, they need monetary backing by studios.  Netflix reportedly spent 2-3 times as much on pushing Roma for Oscars than they spent making the film.

6 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

one thing people seem to forget is that the Oscars are for awarding the films with the most Oscar buzz, not the best films in general. and a lot of the time the buzz is more important than the quality of the movie.

how would you measure the quality of a film when it is a qualitative parameter? 

14 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The country submits for Foreign Language Film  - so a lot of game playing and very limiting.

This is the first SK film ever nominated which is ridiculous considering the run SK cinema has been on for over the last decade. (though I despised Burning)

Well, still has to get a nomination. Seems inevitable though. 

No to Burning, eh? Not my favorite SK by a long, long shot over the past few decades but I still liked it a good deal.

Handmaiden?

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Sure , which is why we have the Oscar pundits giving odds of winning to films and performances months ahead of even seeing them.  But films need more than buzz, they need monetary backing by studios.  Netflix reportedly spent 2-3 times as much on pushing Roma for Oscars than they spent making the film.

you can build buzz with Oscar campaigns, which is where the money comes in.

also Netflix as a production company are incapable of producing films like ROMA, they only acquired the distribution rights. 

5 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

how would you measure the quality of a film when it is a qualitative parameter? 

it's not about measuring anything. but there are dozens of acclaimed films each year that never even get on the oscars' radar simply because they don't have the publicity machine behind them. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Actually Netflix spent 0 dollars making Roma. They only bought distribution rights.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Actually Netflix spent 0 dollars making Roma. They only bought distribution rights.

The film cost $15m to produce and Netflix acquired Roma for $20m (that's how they get may if not most of their movie "Originals")

I haven't read anywhere that the rights revert.  It's why there's no BR or 4K release of the film.

My favorites by him are still his first three movies. No particular order. Oddly, I've probably watched Barking Dogs more than anything else he's made. Certainly imperfect but something about gives me a huge smile. The chase scenes maybe more anything I guess. His warped, smirking worldview maybe too. Love that one.

barking dogs never bite is good but i really had to power through all the dog abuse in the first ten minutes. when he's trying to hang the dog i thought i was gonna have to tap out but it's fun after that for sure. Bae Doona is always great.

Edited by CoolioD1