Eric Duncan

Best Picture Winner Parasite l October 11, 2019 (limited) l Neon l Palme d'Or winner from Bong Joon-ho

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Exactly... Very true. It's pretty obvious he knew exactly what Bong wanted and had worked with him before. He's very comfortable.

Now that you say that though, it's also pretty obvious that Bong saw him as the star of the movie the whole time. 

Let's be honest... Evans is a lovable dude that pushed himself but he's miscast in Snowpiercer. A different, better cast lead and the movie works better. He's not bad but he's not good as anyone else. Just seems like a cog. 

yeah that's Sorta my problem with that movie and why i rank it last is because there's a few cool uniquely Bong moments and performances like the Alison Pill scene but it's his film that most feels like someone else could've made it.

it's probably impractical because the movie doesn't get the budget if it's fully Korean but what if it was and someone like Lee Byung hun was in the Evans role? That could've been something i'd like to see what Bong could do with him.

24 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah that's Sorta my problem with that movie and why i rank it last is because there's a few cool uniquely Bong moments and performances like the Alison Pill scene but it's his film that most feels like someone else could've made it.

it's probably impractical because the movie doesn't get the budget if it's fully Korean but what if it was and someone like Lee Byung hun was in the Evans role? That could've been something i'd like to see what Bong could do with him.

Yeah. I've thought about that too. Lee Byung hun would've been great.

Otherwise, as a movie, does feel kind of generic SyFy at times. Glad he got it out of his system. And, definitely glad he's gonna keep doing stuff based out of SK. He just seems to do better work there. Snowpiercer and Okja are pretty ambitious. Maybe too ambitious. For better or worse, mostly for better, they're two of the most organically international projects I've ever seen. Seamlessly mixing cultures and languages throughout each. That alone has to be a huge chore while trying to make a focused vision shine through by the time the credits roll.

I think it's cast pretty well outside of Evans and maybe Harris though. Swinton is great. Other supporting roles pretty much fine. Lacks a lot of his trademark humor though. Probably due to working with so many non Koreans. Will say the one henchman having a high pitched voice is great.

Pill scene in the classroom is easily the best thing in it. Can't argue that. It's got everything.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

i love Okja though. i think it's nutty and anarchic in a way i wanted but didn't get from Snowpiercer. was exactly what i wanted from a big scale Bong project. don't know if we're going to get one of those again i've been reading a lot of his recent interviews and he's emphasising a lot how much more he prefers the small scale stuff.

I'm interested in this small scale English language project he's talking about. obviously the performances in his two english language films are verrrry heightened i'd like to see him work with American actors in a more natural manner. the way he describes this small scale and serious it sounds like Mother more than anything else. in a way mother was kind of like the good version of Three Billboards.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Well... That's a new take. I like it. Gonna steal it when recommending Mother to friends now.

Mother has my favorite last shot in any of his movies.

Mother's got a killer ending but it has to be Memories for me. last shot gives me chills. although it might lose some impact now that i know the killer was already in jail when the film came out, so the whole thing of how "he's looking at the killer in the audience" doesn't really hold up lol.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Mother's got a killer ending but it has to be Memories for me. last shot gives me chills. although it might lose some impact now that i know the killer was already in jail when the film came out, so the whole thing of how "he's looking at the killer in the audience" doesn't really hold up lol.

Rewatched just today and thought the same thing.  Ha! Still works in a way because no one knew he was in jail. 

• Like 1

Almodovar's Pain and Glory is probably its biggest competition. Also a great film. and maybe more in the Academy's wheelhouse since it's about an aging director and autobiographical for Almodovar. but the hype seems to be with Parasite and it's more likely to get other nominations so I'd call it the frontrunner for sure.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Almodovar's Pain and Glory is probably its biggest competition. Also a great film. and maybe more in the Academy's wheelhouse since it's about an aging director and autobiographical for Almodovar. but the hype seems to be with Parasite and it's more likely to get other nominations so I'd call it the frontrunner for sure.

Pain and Glory was the other I had in mind too as a possible winner and, as you mentioned, much more so the type the Academy likes to reward.

I'm sure there will be others that are legit competition to surface too.