Eric Atreides

Best Picture Winner Parasite l October 11, 2019 (limited) l Neon l Palme d'Or winner from Bong Joon-ho

Not to say I don't like Snowpiercer or Okja. Like both, especially in spurts, a great deal even. But, wow, Bong's Korean based output is just lightyears ahead for me. I hope he continues to make films there. I don't need to see any more super ambitious swings at creating an organic, living, breathing international film by him. 

His smaller, Korean movies say what they have to say visually, structurally, literally so much more clearly and loudly. They echo in the brain. Make the ears ring. 

This one was so good for me and so overwhelmingly better than his last two since Mother that I wish he'd never even made the last two. If he'd stayed in Korea, we'd have Parasite and probably one or two more phenomenal triumphs from him in the span of Mother to Parasite. 

So, again, don't dislike those two but, man oh man, please just keep pumping out Korean cinema, Bong. Just like Park learned with Stoker, no need to try to bridge anything. You're better making miracles in your backyard. Guess the temptation to give each a try was just too much not to take a pair of swings for the fences?

• Like 1

I dunno I'd just like for these guys to be able to make whatever they feel like making. There are some indelible things in all of their respective English-language films, and with e.g. Park I liked Stoker better than some of his Korean works. Haven't seen The Little Drummer Girl but it looked like he knocked that out of the park too. 

• Like 3

well we know he has at least one more english language feature planned. sounds like it's much smaller scale than his other two though. just be grateful he said he has no interest in franchises i guess.

i personally think Okja is better than some of his korean films (my #3 Bong behind murder and parasite) so i can't wish it didn't exist. also probably those english language films brought him a lot more fans. i dunno if people would be rooting for him and this movie in the same way if they didn't exist.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I dunno I'd just like for these guys to be able to make whatever they feel like making. There are some indelible things in all of their respective English-language films, and with e.g. Park I liked Stoker better than some of his Korean works. Haven't seen The Little Drummer Girl but it looked like he knocked that out of the park too. 

I don't disagree. Guess I just hope whatever they feel like making is based in Korea. It's a selfish hope because I personally like their Korean output better.

Admittedly, heard Little Drummer Girl is great but have yet to watch it.

Fannnnnnntastic. Also watched Memories of Murder for first time this week - the best detective movie of the 21st Century outside of Zodiac. Hitting the Bong heavy this week. Now I get the hype!! I was lukewarm on Snowpiercer and Okja tbh.

• Like 2

What a film, my goodness. The seamless genre blending is absolutely mesmerizing, I truly don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it when it comes to genre mixing. Not even saying anything of the themes, performances, score, and cinematography - all first class. This movie will win Best Picture if the Academy Awards are based remotely on merit anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CloneWars said:

Glad to see Korean cinema get some recognition. Though, there are a lot of good Korean films. Oldboy is still my fav. Too bad people only saw the remake. Parasite is still a great movie.

I don't know about that. Oldboy is probably the most famous Korean movie in the west by a wide margin, certainly much more famous than its remake. Parasite will take over by the end of this oscar season though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CloneWars said:

Glad to see Korean cinema get some recognition. Though, there are a lot of good Korean films. Oldboy is still my fav. Too bad people only saw the remake. Parasite is still a great movie.

I'm pretty sure more people have seen the original than the remake. At least I know more people still remember it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

What a film, my goodness. The seamless genre blending is absolutely mesmerizing, I truly don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it when it comes to genre mixing. Not even saying anything of the themes, performances, score, and cinematography - all first class. This movie will win Best Picture if the Academy Awards are based remotely on merit anymore. 

Bong has always been the best at that. I've always said that he mixes genres as if they were all one and the same.