Eric Atreides

Best Picture Winner Parasite l October 11, 2019 (limited) l Neon l Palme d'Or winner from Bong Joon-ho

On 7/3/2019 at 3:31 PM, The Futurist said:

Cute movie.

But leave your suspension of disbelief at home.

so much of Parasite is just surreal. feels like a Nolan movie (ala interstellar) but with more Dark Comedy 

still one of the best movies I've seen this year, hopefully will get nominated at the oscars and won't get the Burning treatment from last year. 

• Like 1

Probably the most horrifying movie I think I'll see the whole movie. I'm still not sure if its a masterpiece but it's so close. This movie is extremely dense and really needs more than one viewing. I think this is the film where Bong Joon-ho has pretty much perfected his skills as a director. I love how it presents classism almost as if it's subconscious and how the movie shows the Park family literally looks at them as the enemy. Also has the best version of the upstairs-downstairs metaphor. Unlike the other versions of it, this version is extremely volatile. 

On 8/11/2019 at 2:20 PM, RealLyre said:

so much of Parasite is just surreal. feels like a Nolan movie (ala interstellar) but with more Dark Comedy 

This is nothing like a Nolan film. This is more a Ken Loach film or Shoplifters from last year with an absurdist tone.

Hell, I wouldn't even compared this film to the films of other directors. This is very inherently a Bong Joon Ho film.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Miramax and Sony Classics have historically been the biggest/most reliable foreign language film distributors in North America and today one is no more while the other hasn't gotten such a movie past $5m since Amour. Meanwhile all the new boutique distributors that have popped up starting with A24 can still barely get English-language films to succeed outside of limited release, what do you expect from them with foreign ones. (The fact that Neon is supposed to give this a real push is encouraging though. It does have the best chance of any recent foreign film to break 10m.) In theory there's nothing stopping major studios from taking on and pushing these films, via subsidiaries if nothing else, except that they just don't have an incentive to do so. "Will this be a hit or will it be just for cinephiles" is a disingenious question because this doesn't have access to resources that could make it a hit, and I mean an actual hit even if a small-scale one (like a 30m grosser). When a movie like this can get access to a wide-release marketing budget then it'll be a valid thing to ask.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

When a movie like this can get access to a wide-release marketing budget then it'll be a valid thing to ask.

Do we have an idea on how those foreign language/production of the past got that ended up with a wide release worked marketing budget wise.

Like did Warner Brother Picture House division spent a lot before on Pan Labyrinth before seeing that very special start in 17 theater ?:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=panslabyrinth.htm

Or it is because of the studio resource that the limited run was so successful and already out of reach for an Neon/A24 ? And if they have something special in less than 100 theater are they not able to do something with it ?