Eric Atreides

Best Picture Winner Parasite l October 11, 2019 (limited) l Neon l Palme d'Or winner from Bong Joon-ho

The first Rotten.  Guess who?  Interesting how the rich family is "a nuclear family" and "a unit" and the poor family a "brood"  :thinking:

October 11, 2019
Bong is an unfunny extremist. In Parasite, he annihilates the concept of the nuclear family by setting a brood of lower-class con artists against an upper-class family unit

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

47 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The first Rotten.  Guess who?  Interesting how the rich family is "a nuclear family" and "a unit" and the poor family a "brood"  :thinking:

Armond White is pretty much a Trump supporter. Probably to continue the contrarian streak.

• Like 1

Still think this movie is more sci-fi than Gravity since all the events that happen are so ridiculous and unlikely to happen that you gotta love the fact Bong embraced genre filmmaking so passionately.

It s the typical lefty movie where the writing is driven by the ideology.

No wonder it s the best reviewed movie of the year.

The clichés are so perfect for them, that s how they view the world.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

This was excellent. Every shot has its own theme and it's one hell of a watch. The movie has a lot of social commentary in spades on Korea, as well the world while being darkly humorous and it definitely kept me engaged. The script is tight and the cast is perfect for it. Highly recommend it!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

This is your Picture/Director winner, bros. It has everything going for it:

Reviews. Check.

Social commentary that resonates everywhere. Check.

Boxoffice. Check. (different rules apply to foreign movies which are not expected to make as much as comparable domestic movie)

Goodwill from last year's backlash when Roma came close to becoming first foreign to win picture but lost to GB. Check.

Plays like gangbusters with festival audiences (TIFF, North Carolina) which means it's accessible to AMPAS and isn't just critics darling. Check.

Has traditional theatrical rollout unlike Netflix Roma. Check. 

Direction is a huge reason why it works and is very showy. Check. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Reviews. Check.

Boxoffice. Check. (different rules apply to foreign movies which are not expected to make as much as comparable domestic movie)

Goodwill from last year's backlash when Roma came close to becoming first foreign to win picture but lost to GB. Check.

Plays like gangbusters with festival audiences (TIFF, North Carolina) which means it's accessible to AMPAS and isn't just critics darling. Check.

Meanwhile you have so many things against it.

Non -english- uncheck

Non-american production - uncheck

Not based a on historical event -  uncheck

Not a Holocaust film - uncheck

No 2nd world war/ vietnam war - uncheck 

No meryl streep - uncheck

No tribute to film industry in the film - uncheck

• Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Reviews. Check.

Image result for oracle has spoken

However, truth be said, I don't want Parasite to win Best Picture, and become 1st foreign film to do so. Why?

Simply because it will be insult to the better films made before this or even this year which don't have oscar buzz.

Oscar are Hollywood award, they should continue to be so. If now for one off, you give best picture to a foreign film, you are stating that no foreign film was better than the best picture as per them of last year.

Just this year, there's an Indian film Super Deluxe, perhaps better than Parasite, surely better than all Hollywood films this year. Last year, Green Book won right, well there were 4 Indian films surely better than that last year and so on. Most of the time Best Picture Foreign is better than Best Picture overall and many others have better cinematic aspects.

So if you wanna make it worldwide affair, better look for films across world or rightly so just continue with Hollywood only.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

However, truth be said, I don't want Parasite to win Best Picture, and become 1st foreign film to do so. Why?

Simply because it will be insult to the better films made before this or even this year which don't have oscar buzz.

Oscar are Hollywood award, they should continue to be so. If now for one off, you give best picture to a foreign film, you are stating that no foreign film was better than the best picture as per them of last year.

Just this year, there's an Indian film Super Deluxe, perhaps better than Parasite, surely better than all Hollywood films this year. Last year, Green Book won right, well there were 4 Indian films surely better than that last year and so on. Most of the time Best Picture Foreign is better than Best Picture overall and many others have better cinematic aspects.

So if you wanna make it worldwide affair, better look for films across world or rightly so just continue with Hollywood only.

It won't be the first foreign film to win, The Artist won in 2012.  I gather it doesn't count as Foreign Language b/c it's a silent film so they couldn't ghetto-ize it like they do for 99.999999999999% of Foreign and Animated movies.

It's not as if there weren't many American films better than Greenbook last year or better than many of those nominated in any year.  Best Picture is rarely the best film and many of the greatest American films have never been nominated, ditto performances - many of the best actors and directors have never won, many not even nominated.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It won't be the first foreign film to win, The Artist won in 2012.  I gather it doesn't count as Foreign Language b/c it's a silent film so they couldn't ghetto-ize it like they do for 99.999999999999% of Foreign and Animated movies.

It's not as if there weren't many American films better than Greenbook last year or better than many of those nominated in any year.  Best Picture is rarely the best film and many of the greatest American films have never been nominated, ditto performances - many of the best actors and directors have never won, many not even nominated.

still the notion goes that best picture is best picture or respective category.

Saw this last month and I consider this the best live action I've seen this year. (TOY STORY IV is still the best for me.) I initially thought this was a horror movie, but I was not disappointed at all when I realized that it wasn't. It was more than I expected. It gave me the same excitement when I watched BAD GENIUS (a Thai movie) a couple of years ago. Maybe more. The cast was great and the social commentary was on point. This deserves a best picture nomination, imo. I haven't seen the entries from the  other countries, but basing on what I've seen here, I think it should be nominated, if not win the best international feature film award at the Oscars.