Eric Atreides

Best Picture Winner Parasite l October 11, 2019 (limited) l Neon l Palme d'Or winner from Bong Joon-ho

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

The Boiler Man monologue in Barking Dogs made me wish he'd do a horror movie. 

apparently it's the next thing

“I had a great time working on Parasite so I want to work on films on the scale of Parasite and Mother, one in Korean and one in English. The Korean project is kind of like a horror film. Of course, I’m working on it so the genres will all be mixed but if you had to choose one genre it would be along the lines of horror. And for the English project, it began with a news article I randomly came across on CNN in 2016. It’s a small realistic drama piece.”

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

barking dogs never bite is good but i really had to power through all the dog abuse in the first ten minutes. when he's trying to hang the dog i thought i was gonna have to tap out but it's fun after that for sure. Bae Doona is always great.

Supposedly no animals harmed. But, yeah, it's suspicious here. Still... Him hurling that dog off the roof is pretty hilarious. 

But toughest part is when he's trying to hang the little dog but can't follow through. Even though he fashions the pulley so he doesn't have to watch.

- Is this your dog?

- (Shakes head no)

- Then let's eat it together.

That's funniest part along with the chase scene. Love whole friendship between the two girls too. The homeless guy being happier in prison because his life is better there is great too. Love the janitor continually trying to eat the dog only to be interrupted as well.

Love the whole ridiculousness of how the lead guy has to go about becoming a professor. The drinking to black out. Swirling the napkin in the glass of beer. Whipping it at the wall. The sleazy cake and cash bribe. All of it.

It's messy but all of Bong's more refined are present loud and clear throughout it.

Bae Doona's the best thing in it. No arguments here.

• Like 2

i will say with Parasite the clockwork precision of it is something to be admired but it doesn't have the endearing shagginess of the best of his filmography. i don't necessarily see it as a problem but the characters don't really have the quirks of those in his other works. they're more functional by design.

Clips below are all great too. Could tell he had huge promise framing and choreography a chase. Awesomely strange sense of humor too. Kind of convincing myself here. But, yeah, really love this one. Totally get others being hesitant to watch though given the subject.

Saw it after seeing Memories Of Murder and The Host. That's the order I saw his first three. Saw them all in '07 I think. Trailer for The Host was the reason I even rented MoM.

Knocked me the fuck out. All three. Couldn't believe I'd stumbled upon a filmmaker I liked that much out of nowhere. Then, pretty much just couldn't wait to watch whatever the hell he'd do next.

• Like 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i will say with Parasite the clockwork precision of it is something to be admired but it doesn't have the endearing shagginess of the best of his filmography. i don't necessarily see it as a problem but the characters don't really have the quirks of those in his other works. they're more functional by design.

Kind of feared this a little... But, guess I just gotta see it to decide for myself. But, it's probably the reason Parasite is getting more universal acclaim then anything else he's done too. 

Shagginess is the right word for it. I loved that about his characters in his pre-Mother stuff. I noticed the shift with that movie. Kind of where he's been since for better or worse.

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

It wasn't a problem for me in the first two thirds but it's the reason the climax/ending didn't really hit me beyond surface level surprise, and consequently why I'm not on the masterpiece train. 

Edited by Jake Gittes

18 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the host isn't close to my favourite overall but this is my favourite scene in any of Bong's films.

Yes. This scene is awesome. Works on many levels all at once. Awesome snapshot of what he's great at doing. Commentary, humor and raw, real emotion all in a burst.

Think Host has the best score of anything he's done and by a pretty wide margin too. Especially this track...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It wasn't a problem for me in the first two hours but it's the reason the climax/ending didn't really hit me beyond surface level surprise, and consequently why I'm not on the masterpiece train. 

it really works for me but I could concede that the humanity of the characters at the end comes from the performers more than the writing.

• Like 1

This movie I will say has my favourite Song Kang ho performance in any of Bong’s films. A lot of the logic leaps here really work because of how he sells them.

not my favourite Song performance overall which would be in Park Chan Wook’s Joint Security Area. Nowhere near Park’s best film but Song totally rocks it. 

He's great in JSA. Favorite performance for just because it's so funny is him in Good, Bad, Weird.

Like him in Thirst a lot too.

Favorite Bong with is Memories... That's by s pretty wide margin. Actually like him a lot in Snowpiercer too. More then everyone else in that movie not named Swinton. Love that movie's twist of him being right the whole time. Him, in a way, being the actual hero even more so than Evans. Cleverly takes the movie away from the American and gives it to the Korean in the end. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

he has a great swagger in snowpiercer. That’s a real movie star performance. Much more so than the Americans movie star at the centre.

Exactly... Very true. It's pretty obvious he knew exactly what Bong wanted and had worked with him before. He's very comfortable.

Now that you say that though, it's also pretty obvious that Bong saw him as the star of the movie the whole time. 

Let's be honest... Evans is a lovable dude that pushed himself but he's miscast in Snowpiercer. A different, better cast lead and the movie works better. He's not bad but he's not good as anyone else. Just seems like a cog. Someone like Jake G. would've been better. Maybe much better. Only mention him because he worked with him on his next film. Plenty of others too... But, with Evans being Cap probably made it easier to get funding.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1