Eric Atreides

Best Picture Winner Parasite l October 11, 2019 (limited) l Neon l Palme d'Or winner from Bong Joon-ho

56 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Another strong weekend at the box office for Parasite. What can this finish with DOM? Any chance at $25M+ DOM?

Will need to get a BP nod first to get there I think. The PTA has been dropping fast, at this rate there's only enough juice in the tank for one more significant expansion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Will need to get a BP nod first to get there I think. The PTA has been dropping fast, at this rate there's only enough juice in the tank for one more significant expansion.

One more expansion before the theater drop but then if starts getting award nominations it can expand again.

28 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

This sounds fair.

25+ is the absolute most I can see it doing. Realistically, I'd be happy with anything between 15 - 20 DOM.

• Like 1

Expands into 603 theatres tomorrow, so officially, yet just barely, wide.

The PTA will be interesting. It's still not reaching too wide an audience, but is there enough interest to drive good numbers in 603 theatres? We'll see....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, troyand said:

603 is the widest release for a foreign language film in recent 4 years, if we don't count The Farewell.

Neat. Another nice achievement for Bong Joon-ho. As I said, I'm interested to see what the PTA will be like. I have a feeling it won't be expanding any wider than this but we'll see.

6 hours ago, Viktor Vilotijevic said:

So, with that expansion I'm expecting 1.6-2 million $. I'm just judging by PTA drops.

Yeah that sounds about right. Maybe Charlie can chime in here. 

Edited by JB33

Saw this last night, and I can safely say Bong has yet to provide a misstep. I will admit the beginning had me scratching my head at the level of praise surrounding the film, but the mid act tonal shift turned it from a comedy on class structure into a full fledged Hitchcockian black comedy. Expertly crafted by both cast and crew. The final message of the film is the cherry on top, though. The epilogue brings it all together beautifully. I will say that if it weren't for the epilogue this film would've merely been a very good suspense thriller. The final "ah ha" moment elevates it to the next level.

In terms of films I've seen by the director, I'd rank it:

Memories of Murder

Parasite

Mother

The Host

Snowpiercer

Okja

Not a bad film in the lot.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

This was fantastic. Simultaneously both the funniest and the most suspenseful movie I've seen so far this year. Beautifully shot and provides insight on society, but is still crowd-pleasing and entertaining throughout. (Plenty of laughs and gasps in my screening).

And then I watched Memories of Murder and it's just as good if not better. :jeb!:

I think I found the emotional climax of Memories more powerful, but prefer Parasite overall upon first viewings.

• Like 2