sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

Detective Pikachu made $5.7m in previews and went on to make 20.6m Friday for a OD-to-previews multiple of 3.6.  I don't think Godzilla will do much better than that. I guess actual will come down to about $22m Friday for Godzilla.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Aladdin only dropping 47% from MD weekend would be a very very good result, especially after losing IMAX screens already. I wonder if this is people that were on the fence being talked around? 

Deadline Math - it's 53% if $43M is the final weekend number...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

I mentioned the Atom deal for KOTM and Rocketman that ran all week...1st one for the "big movies" in awhile (since pre-Endgame), and folks might have been ready to save some cash at the end of the month (swinging normal Fandango presales to Atom)...

Or it could be Deadline spewing crappy numbers...

Or it could be a combination of both...your choice:)...

Yeah, I just saw that a moment ago. Definitely an interesting piece of data to look at. 

• Like 1

Considering 1st Sunday was inflated and increased for Aladdin, anything around low-50% drop in this day and age would be a great 2nd weekend hold. With a 42 2nd weekend it would be about 115 away from 300 dom.

Even the low end of that range (60) would be a win for Godzilla at this point. If it can do 150 domestic and 350 OS, I'm sure WB won't be as disappointed as they could have been.

I'm more disappointed in that Rocketman number than anything. Hopefully it goes up and reaches 30M, but damn that number would mean 100M domestic might not even be in the cards. 

This was added to Deadline too.

No. 5 belongs to Lionsgate’s John Wick: Chapter 3 with $10M-11M in weekend 3 at 3,604, -57%, for a running total on the high end of $125.8M by Sunday.

UA/Annapurna’s Booksmart having a solid hold in weekend 2 of $4M as of this point in time, -42% for a running total of $15M. Compare this to Screen Gems/H Collective’s Brightburn which is flaming out with a $2.1M weekend 2 take, -73%. for a 10-day of $14M.

Even with MDW, it's weird how poor John Wick's legs are. Happy Booksmart's holding okay.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

it's weird how poor John Wick's legs are

It's the third installment in a now popular series, front-loaded is expected, no? Wick especially seems to be a lot more fanboy heavy.

7 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

This was added to Deadline too.

Even with MDW, it's weird how poor John Wick's legs are. Happy Booksmart's holding okay.

After 11 weekend WICK3 should manage ~25 more with summer weekdays kicking in more. That would be 2.6x multi compared to WICK2's 3x. Considering it nearly doubled the ow that's fair I guess. It's online and bot reception got me thinking it would challenge US's 170+ boxoffice honestly.

edit: 3x the prod budget dom 😮

Edited by a2k

Robert Pattison , the movie star of the 2020's ?

:apocalypse::redcapes::wintf::hahaha:

Warner suits & Christopher have gonne mad.

It will be an even more strange and peculiar Taylor Kitsch moment in Hollywood history.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TMP said:

It's the third installment in a now popular series, front-loaded is expected, no? Wick especially seems to be a lot more fanboy heavy.

That, and also if it is at $125.8M after this weekend as deadline projects, it will have already grossed ~34M more than its predecessor, and ~83M more than the original Wick, with still more in the tank. The film is doing gangbusters to have increased on its predecessor yet again and to finish well ahead of both of them. One of the more impressive box office outcomes this year, I would say.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Robert Pattison , the movie star of the 2020's ?

:apocalypse::redcapes::wintf::hahaha:

Warner suits & Christopher have gonne mad.

It will be an even more strange and peculiar Taylor Kitsch moment in Hollywood history.

He's a great actor, I don't see why that's weird to comprehend. On top of that, he's already led a multi-billion dollar franchise before.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1