sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

It's the third installment in a now popular series, front-loaded is expected, no? Wick especially seems to be a lot more fanboy heavy.

A bit like a Pitch Perfect 2, May release, both with really big OW for what they were, both driven by solid wom from Netflix watching.

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

It's the third installment in a now popular series, front-loaded is expected, no? Wick especially seems to be a lot more fanboy heavy.

I was just thinking of the 3x Wick 2 got that it could have held stronger. But I guess the bigger opening does frontload it a bit. There's also Godzilla taking a lot of the oldies this weekend I guess.

8 minutes ago, TMP said:

He's a great actor, I don't see why that's weird to comprehend. On top of that, he's already led a multi-billion dollar franchise before.

Let's be real man all they needed to make Twilight a success was to cast an attractive dude to play Edward. They could have cast anyone and it would have been the same success cause Twilight was massive back in the day and females would flock to the theaters no matter what.

11 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

LOL, what the hell is going on with these estimates? DL said it was 60-65! 

But then again, it IS Deadline. 🙄

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun

2 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Don't spread the wrong narrative. Both Godzilla 14 and rogue one needed big time fixing. And in both cases Tony Gilroy was brought. The awesome climax/3rd act you saw in both movies was due to Gilroy. In Rogue one even parts of first and second act were completely reshot.

Yes, Gilroy significantly contributed to Rogue One. To my knowledge, the third act was entirely his doing and that was easily the best act of the film, not to mention that you could tell it was a total reshoot as it had a very different tone from the previous two acts. However, he only collaborated in the edit for Godzilla. He didn't reshoot or rewrite anything, like in RO. He was there only to help Edwards with the final edit. Edwards still very much oversaw the entirety of the project himself, though. Seems you're the one spreading a bit of a wrong narrative. And even judging by RO's inital teaser trailer - long before the reshoots happened - you could still get a sense that Edwards was still good at the things he did good with Godzilla: action, scale and atmosphere.

2 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

FWIW, Toy Story (and I think also Lion King) is the one movie this summer both of my parents are excited for this summer (of course, they don't know a movie exists until like two days before it comes out, or if they see the trailer for it in front of a movie :lol:)

People just really like the Toy Story characters.

I guess, but still, 150M+ for a completely unwanted, unnecessary fourthquel? I mean, I always thought that it could hit maybe 70-80 based on character popularity alone, but I don't even imagine how there'd be more interest for it than there was for Toy Story 3, which already opened to a staggering 110M in 2010. And especially when Cars 3 proved that totally unwanted Pixar sequels aren't immune to underperforming (despite both Monsters University and Finding Dory being enormous hits), I was keen on not expecting much out of TS4. If it really opens that big...... well, fuck. That's Pixar power. I guess Cars 3 would have opened a lot lower if it didn't have the Pixar logo play right before it.

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

If Pattinson becoming the movie star of the 2020s means aggravating Futurist I support it even more.

I am inevitable.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

It will be an even more strange and peculiar Taylor Kitsch moment in Hollywood history.

Taylor Kitsch is not a bad actor. He was actually good in Only the Brave. He deserves a second chance.

But i wonder tho...what prompted this Rpat getting all these high profile roles all of a sudden? something is very strange. the question is will he crash and burn like Kitsch? we shall see

Just now, Alli said:

Taylor Kitsch is not a bad actor. He was actually good in Only the Brave. He deserves a second chance.

But i wonder tho...what prompted this Rpat getting all these high profile roles all of a sudden? something is very strange. the question is will he crash and burn like Kitsch? we shall see

Thinking Elgort and Kitsch are good actors and thinking Pattinson is a bad actor.  Do you know what acting is?

Just now, Alli said:

He has dirt on Warner higher ups.

Getting the two most important & prestigious Warner projects back to back of the coming years is fishy as hell ...

Something s up.

Just now, That One Guy said:

Thinking Elgort and Kitsch are good actors and thinking Pattinson is a bad actor.  Do you know what acting is?

thinking taylor kitsch is a bad actor?:kitschjob::kitschjob::kitschjob:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

He has dirt on Warner higher ups.

Getting the two most important & prestigious Warner projects back to back of the coming years is fishy as hell ...

Something s up.

warners has their favourites. like ezra miller booking justice league and fantastic beasts at pretty much the same time.

9 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

Let's be real man all they needed to make Twilight a success was to cast an attractive dude to play Edward. They could have cast anyone and it would have been the same success cause Twilight was massive back in the day and females would flock to the theaters no matter what.

That a bit of revisionist history I think, Twilight success was mostly a surprise to most, there is a reason Paramount lost the right to the book because they didn't made a movie in a 3 year's window and that you could see 30m OW prediction the month of it's release. To put the surprise in perspective, none of the actor were signed for a sequel.

There is a parallel universe with a Solo that did well and us thinking that the casting was irrelevant to it's success thinking of course it is a Star Wars movie featuring the sere most popular character it was certain to work.

In what way was the dude attractive, was is look/mood/energy selling to that fanbase the character they like, to the GA being a Vampire. And for Twilight case we are talking about a movie for which the sequels grew, giving an argument about decision about the franchise  being responsible for it's success over just the book phenomenon.

IMO there enough popular franchise failing at the box office (and the list growing), that we cannot automatically attribute all of something success on the strength of is build popularity from other media.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't even think Rpat is that bad acting wise, he s just bland as hell, which is worse.

Especially when you do these big movies.

A Charisma vacuum he is.

I mean 

Guy Pearce

Al Pacino

Robin Williams

Christian Bale

Hugh Jackman

Leonardo di Caprio

Matthew McConaughey

Real WW II planes & Venom

Weta Digital CGI Monkeys

and ......... Robert Fucking Pattison

:hahaha:

I mean, he s not even boxing in the same timeline that all of these people.

Good Luck with that Christopher & Matt, proove me wrong.

Make him a movie star.

Edited by The Futurist

rpatts is a youngish actor with indie and critics cred who's looking to make the leap (back) to big budget films. that's exactly the type of actor Nolan likes to cast and exactly the type of actor that frequently gets cast in superhero movies. it's not rocket science. he probably didn't have to jerk off the warner brothers to get these roles.

• Like 4