sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

There was a nice walk-up crowd for the matinee showing of Ma which I attended today. It was certainly an odd mix of people, including an elderly couple (in their late 60s or early 70s) who sat in the row behind me. They were quite talkative and they expressed how disgusted they were with the red band Good Boys trailer which played before Ma, along with every other horror or horror adjacent film coming to theaters this summer.

As for Ma, it was somewhat disjointed but Spencer was great. She certainly seemed to be enjoying herself in the role and why wouldn't she given some of the things Ma gets to do in the film. The movie itself is as trashy as you could imagine but if you're looking for some mindless fun with an entertaining lead performance, check it out.

9 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Yo.... I’ve been waiting 5 freaking years for this Godzilla sequel. Watching it FINALLY in a few hours. Whatever it does at the box office is beyond my control... hopefully WOM and legs prevail, but I’m going to sit down and enjoy this and not think about it! 

I managed to not care about the box office regarding this movie. Its my wet dream come to life, its everything i thought i was never gonna see. So even though id like the MonsterVerse to continue after GvK, the pure fact that KOTM exists is enough for me.

Ofc, id really like to see it overcoming the negative trends that it showed so far in the WW Box office, but some things are just out of one mans control.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Are you kidding me? 

Pattinson is much better than Hoult. 

I can't believe those were the two finalists. Neither of them is a particularly good actor. It's like asking whether you want Taco Bell or McDonald's for dinner, when there are plenty of five star restaurants down the way.

-edit

I see someone didn't like my comment, but it is the truth. Pattinson is 33 so no young kid. He's landed some leading roles but has not exactly been recognized for his acting ability. He's gotten plenty of Razzie noms, though. Maybe he'll be OK as a caricature of Batman, if that's what they want to do. More likely I think he'll deliver another flat performance.

As for Hoult, he would have been an even bigger risk. He's a supporting actor who hasn't really shown he can carry a film.

Seriously, all I can think about is that they have a very limited budget for the role so couldn't bring in better established talent, and for whatever reason they didn't want to go with a complete unknown.

Edited by doublejack
added thoughts
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

AAND... I wrote this like 4 hours ago, but my computer died, so that conversation's probably on something else.  Apologies if someone already posted this.  I'm gonna post it anyway.

1 hour ago, sfran43 said:

The fact that the Thursday screening for Godzilla started at 4pm when John Wick's started at 7pm has me a bit worried it will only make around $50M for the weekend.

My BIG concern is how heavy the Godzilla presales leaned toward the IMAX screens.  The regular standard and 3D showings were kind of dead at the theaters I follow.  I wonder if that means there's isn't the urgency to see the movie NOW, but rather "We can wait until the best IMAX seat's available."  And, yes, the IMAX seats are more money, but if you're underselling the rest of the screens, how's that going to level out?

And how is that going to affect the second-week drop when Dark Phoenix gets those screens? :ph34r:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

There was a nice walk-up crowd for the matinee showing of Ma which I attended today. It was certainly an odd mix of people, including an elderly couple (in their late 60s or early 70s) who sat in the row behind me. They were quite talkative and they expressed how disgusted they were with the red band Good Boys trailer which played before Ma, along with every other horror or horror adjacent film coming to theaters this summer.

As for Ma, it was somewhat disjointed but Spencer was great. She certainly seemed to be enjoying herself in the role and why wouldn't she given some of the things Ma gets to do in the film. The movie itself is as trashy as you could imagine but if you're looking for some mindless fun with an entertaining lead performance, check it out.

I really wanted to hear what the elderly couple said/how they reacted to MA now:/  xD 

TTVOMJ

13 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

Have you done Pulse tracking before? If so, how accurate does it tend to be?

I did it last weekend with Aladdin. It was generally not off by more than 1-2 million (which I tried to account for this weekend by giving a range rather than a specific number)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

If Pattinson becoming the movie star of the 2020s means aggravating Futurist I support it even more.

Its like saying Leo will be THE star of the late 2000s onward back in 1992...

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

More like in 2001. With Titanic being his Twilight and his acclaimed indies having come before it unlike with Pattinson.

Edited by Jake Gittes

1 minute ago, Cookson said:

So IF Dark Phoenix doesn’t play out we’ll next weekend, could Godzilla actually have a decent second weekend drop?

These ridiculously early Thursday previews plus loosing most of the PLF formats will definetly hurt it a lot i think. If WOM is very good it could make the drop better, but it woudnt be surprised to see a drop in the 55-60% range.

12 minutes ago, excel1 said:

No, not really. In 1992 Leo was not even 20. Pattinson is 33. Leo was on the rise. Pattinson is all he'll ever be.

9 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

More like in 2001. With Titanic being his Twilight and his acclaimed indies having come before it unlike with Pattinson.

This is the key difference. By 2001 Leo had already been nominated for several prestigious awards. Pattinson, on the other hand, has some Razzie cred and that's it.

I just can't believe Pattinson is going to be the next Batman. It is like the people at DC are trying to self immolate after seeing what Endgame did.

4 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Pattinson, on the other hand, has some Razzie cred and that's it.

I just can't believe Pattinson is going to be the next Batman. It is like the people at DC are trying to self immolate after seeing what Endgame did.

Were you in hibernation between 2012 and now?

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

These ridiculously early Thursday previews plus loosing most of the PLF formats will definetly hurt it a lot i think. If WOM is very good it could make the drop better, but it woudnt be surprised to see a drop in the 55-60% range.

I think a 55-60% drop would be excellent. I’m predicting a 62% drop.