sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

One thing for Dark Phoenix presales (even though it is gonna disappoint)...

TMobile has hyped for 2 weeks its coming $4 all-in tickets for Dark Phoenix on Atom.  They go on sale Tuesday and will likely push a large amount of presales there...so, next week, posters will probably need to be careful using just Pulse to estimate presales and performance for the movie.  It's very likely the Atom theaters (which I don't think Cinemark is loaded in for yet, even with the deal) will be doing much better than non-Atom ones...and Pulse will be doing far worse than even the low expectations we expect...

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Deadline says 24M Friday, which would mean a 60M+ OW, which would be very very good.

But its Deadline so ... well we dont know anything basically :D

2 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Guess if they're wrong we can say

History shows again and again how Deadline will overpredict films

True but then deadline also have rocketman in the low 20’s off a 8.5m OD (which seems low) and Ma doing 20m off a 8m OD. and Alladdin holding for -47% hold. (Which if true is a good hold off the memorial weekend)

1 minute ago, tawasal said:

@Brainbug I left KOTM screening before the post credits finished, is there a post credits scene? I had to call someone right after before my phone went off.

Yes theres a post credit scene. Its a nice one imo but its no disaster if youve missed it.

Just now, Brainbug said:

Yes theres a post credit scene. Its a nice one imo but its no disaster if youve missed it.

I knew there was something when I saw half of the crowd I was in the room with staying back. How movies have changed in this decade, when GA audience know or are expecting something after the credits. 

6 minutes ago, Welfin said:

I would only beg for a long, fruitful life with many pleasures and much success. Luckily, it's going well so far. I'm not entirely sure what an "apoc" is, but it's not something I'd beg or even ask for. It doesn't sound particularly compelling. I do think my posts are rather "cool" though. A "not cool" reaction would be a strange result, but I cannot control how people respond or react to my posts. There is so much in life we cannot control. Just like Warner Bros and Legendary were unable to control the level of of interest for Godzilla 2019. A shame, for them. 

Somehow I don't think pissing away the 125m dollars already spent on Godzilla v Kong (not the final amount spent since it is still in post-production) is really going to make WB particularly happy.  

Thus, no, they aren't "going to scrap Godzilla vs Kong", nor should they.  And wondering aloud if it was too late to scrap it probably won't endear you to the folks on this board who are looking forward to the movie.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Deadline says 24M Friday, which would mean a 60M+ OW, which would be very very good.

But its Deadline so ... well we dont know anything basically :D

I hesitate to suggest this, but I wonder if it's a possibility that they just slapped a 'monster movie' friendly preview-to-OD modifier on their projection without taking into account the fact that previews started at 4pm, and thus it will probably be a lower multi?

I mean, surely Deadline took that into account, no?

Why don't places like Forbes, Deadline and Variety give real box office followers a chance to write for them? These so called experts just throw numbers around and hope for the best. 

I think MA is gonna do alot better then it's opening day as for Zilla not sure just yet. It opened to good numbers in China tho. It could go lower then it's expected 60M OW

Edited by Geo1500
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I hesitate to suggest this, but I wonder if it's a possibility that they just slapped a 'monster movie' friendly preview-to-OD modifier on their projection without taking into account the fact that previews started at 4pm, and thus it will probably be a lower multi?

I mean, surely Deadline took that into account, no?

I thought it was an extrapolation from morning business. Still the number is ridiculously high so maybe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Were you in hibernation between 2012 and now?

No, I even double checked. No SAG nominations, no Oscar noms, no Golden Globe nominations. I've seen a couple of his movies since Twilight. Dude is a mediocre actor, nothing more. His best asset is his appearance. Maybe we'll have a Batman that talks even less?

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Pattinson has put together a pretty outstanding resume over the last 5+ years. Rover, Maps, Lost City of Z, Cosmopolis, Good Time. Dude's been killing it. Lighthouse is up next.

- That Downey guy's Iron Man? You're kidding, right?

- Ledger? What? The Joker? No way. 

- Keaton!?! He's Batman!?!?! Bullshit, right???

We've heard this stuff before.

For killing it, why has he not been recognized by his peers or others in the industry? I don't see it.

I personally didn't doubt Ledger or Downey, they are both really talented. That's the key difference here. Nobody questioned RDJ's ability, it was his ethics and distractions that were the issue. Ledger kept his issues under wraps, but again he was heralded as a very good actor before taking on Joker. Keaton was a different story, but Batman was a totally different beast back then. CBMs weren't dominating at the box office until Batman 89 started the ball rolling.

52 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

There are bunch of folks here whose knowledge ends with blockbuster movies. Just have to google it. He has bunch of indie awards nominations and has excited folks being cast as Batman.

Anyway this is not just Batman. Nolan cast him for Tenet and he did not do that after watching Twilight.

I have plenty of knowledge beyond blockbusters. Also, I haven't seen Tenet yet, since it is a year away. Maybe that'll be the first film that Pattinson impresses me. I'll give Pattinson some credit for convincing Nolan to take a chance on him. I'm still very, very skeptical.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

How much are we looking for Godzilla? Sub $50m? I was sort of joking, lol

Deadline is saying 60-65M. Basically everywhere else it is low to mid 50s. I'm thinking 53-55M based on previews and a 18M true Fri (estimate).

1 minute ago, doublejack said:

Deadline is saying 60-65M. Basically everywhere else it is low to mid 50s. I'm thinking 53-55M based on previews and a 18M true Fri (estimate).

what is everywhere else. I know Variety posted numbers but they are normally worse than DHD and dont even post friday estimates.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, doublejack said:

No, I even double checked. No SAG nominations, no Oscar noms, no Golden Globe nominations. I've seen a couple of his movies since Twilight. Dude is a mediocre actor, nothing more. His best asset is his appearance. Maybe we'll have a Batman that talks even less?

For killing it, why has he not been recognized by his peers or others in the industry? I don't see it.

I personally didn't doubt Ledger or Downey, they are both really talented. That's the key difference here. Nobody questioned RDJ's ability, it was his ethics and distractions that were the issue. Ledger kept his issues under wraps, but again he was heralded as a very good actor before taking on Joker. Keaton was a different story, but Batman was a totally different beast back then. CBMs weren't dominating at the box office until Batman 89 started the ball rolling.

I have plenty of knowledge beyond blockbusters. Also, I haven't seen Tenet yet, since it is a year away. Maybe that'll be the first film that Pattinson impresses me. I'll give Pattinson some credit for convincing Nolan to take a chance on him. I'm still very, very skeptical.

So you weren't a fan of any of the roles mentioned? Even his work in Good Time?

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

what is everywhere else. I know Variety posted numbers but they are normally worse than DHD and dont even post friday estimates.

Variety said as high as $70m, lol:

Some industry watchers predict “Godzilla: King of the Monsters,” the third installment in Legendary’s MonsterVerse, could reach $70 million in its debut. Even those box office heights would fall significantly short of its predecessor, which launched with $93 million and went on to collect $200 million at the domestic box office and $529 million globally. “King of the Monsters” is eyeing a start closer to “Kong: Skull Island,” the second entry in Legendary’s monster franchise. The King Kong reboot bowed with $61 million, ending its box office run with over $566 million worldwide.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/box-office-godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-rocketman-ma-opening-weekend-1203228094/