sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

Just now, doublejack said:

BOM has $53M.

That is just a prediction/projection. BOM does not do real time updates. DHD either has access to comscore data or has a source and projects friday/weekend with it. They are not bad for openers friday number but tend to go crazy with weekend projections !!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, doublejack said:

For killing it, why has he not been recognized by his peers or others in the industry? I don't see it.

Because they're idiots who mostly give awards to people and things that are the most hyped, the most campaigned and the easiest to like. If you're that fixated on recognition Pattinson has Independent Spirit and Gotham nominations for Good Time in addition to a ton of critics' praise for that movie and others mentioned above, which is worth a lot more than the fucking Golden Globes.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, doublejack said:

BOM has $53M.

That's from the Weekend Preview posted yesterday:

A look at IMDb page view performance leading up to release shows the Godzilla sequel pacing well behind the original as well as behind Skull Island. In fact, it's pacing closer to Rampage, which opened last April with $35.7 million from 4,101 locations. Alternatively, online ticket retailer Fandango.com reports the film is outpacing Skull Island at the same point in the sales cycle. All told, we are currently trending right in the middle of the studio's anticipated range, looking for an opening right around $53 million. Screenings get underway today with previews beginning in ~3,600 locations beginning at 4PM.

It's not based on any sales data from today.

Edited by Porthos

8 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I have an odd feeling that Endgame will be fine this domestic weekend, even with the theater drop.

Has anyone heard about double features with Dark Phoenix next weekend? 

I think DP is coming in too early for the Fox merger to wield such advantages. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I have an odd feeling that Endgame will be fine this domestic weekend, even with the theater drop.

Has anyone heard about double features with Dark Phoenix next weekend? 

I totally agree. Endgame will be fine. After all its at 807m. It could die this weekend and still be fine.

But this weekend its going to have worse drop than IW bcos of bigger theater and screen drop and more openers. Solo topped last year and so that weekend was empty. There is no demand for late night shows and it does not have enough prime time shows except in very large Plexes in big cities. But it could have a nice bump on saturday as day time shows should make a better difference as compared to last week when it had way more prime time shows.

• Like 1

really impressed that even though the people who are criticizing pattinson's casting surely know they're gonna be made fun of in two years like the folks who criticized Ledger, they're persisting with it anyway. very brave on their part.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Pets 2 apparently has 4,400 theaters next week. 

At this point it has very few shows assigned even in big markets. I am sure next week number of screen count will increase. But its weak PS will not help it get as many screens as that large theater count seem to project.

I wish BOM continued to report screens and showcount. Sadly we dont get that anymore.

• Like 2

Lmao I'm mainly going to ghost this weekend and while Deadline does have an issue with over predicting (John Wick) the level a certain few people on here will go to push the other narrative is hilarious. Not going to say Deadline's estimate will hold, lord knows it's Deadline, but people wanting it to fall the other way sure aren't subtle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

really impressed that even though the people who are criticizing pattinson's casting surely know they're gonna be made fun of in two years like the folks who criticized Ledger, they're persisting with it anyway. very brave on their part.

I don’t understand people. Pattinson casting is the best news for the character in casting department since, well, Ledger, and Bale after that. Dude has the acting chops, the looks, the freaking chin, it’s seasoned carrying a big franchise and will actually bring more casuals than Affleck ever could possibly do. Looking back, I feel bad it didn’t happen earlier.

12 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I totally agree. Endgame will be fine. After all its at 807m. It could die this weekend and still be fine.

But this weekend its going to have worse drop than IW bcos of bigger theater and screen drop and more openers. Solo topped last year and so that weekend was empty. There is no demand for late night shows and it does not have enough prime time shows except in very large Plexes in big cities. But it could have a nice bump on saturday as day time shows should make a better difference as compared to last week when it had way more prime time shows.

If the OS-C drops are as good as the last weekdays indicate, topping Avatar is very much alive, imho. June is starting and with it, Summer legs. I don’t think people have a real grasp of what Endgame is as a box office phenomenon just yet. Yes, it will have a marathon to get there, but with around $72m to get there after this weekend, I don’t see how it could possibly miss it. The hype and the social media circle that will surround the film will assure it gets there. 

Disney would be nuts to not lobby for a expansion once things like Pokémon, Godzilla and well, Dark Phoenix start limping.

Just now, Mulder said:

Lmao I'm mainly going to ghost this weekend and while Deadline does have an issue with over predicting (John Wick) the level a certain few people on here will go to push the other narrative is hilarious. Not going to say Deadline's estimate will hold, lord knows it's Deadline, but people wanting it to fall the other way sure aren't subtle.

At this point Deadline is the only one to give friday number. I have never known Variety to be any good. Problem with deadline is generally weekend projection tend to go crazy. But for Zilla its reasonable if its accurate with friday number. We should know soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tawasal said:

spanking bad boy GIF by kevy 

@Welfin

Is this the "apoc"? 

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Somehow I don't think pissing away the 125m dollars already spent on Godzilla v Kong (not the final amount spent since it is still in post-production) is really going to make WB particularly happy.  

Thus, no, they aren't "going to scrap Godzilla vs Kong", nor should they.  And wondering aloud if it was too late to scrap it probably won't endear you to the folks on this board who are looking forward to the movie.

At the very least, they should change the title to Kong vs Godzilla. King Kong deserves top billing.

Just now, Porthos said:

source.gif

(me "patiently" waiting for an update from either DHD or one of our resident gods)

Charlie said he is not providing any numbers till Jun 10th. RTH hopefully gives an update. Either way DHD will update late tonight that should be quite close to studio estimates.

• Like 1

Move Godzilla v Kong to Christmas 2020, an actual chance at a strong increase, better marketing, stronger VFX, lack of big action movies/tentpoles during Christmas, you can’t be this incompetent forever WB.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

That is prediction. their update mid afternoon was 50m. Let us wait for RTH's update(if we get one) or DHD's late night update tends to be quite close to actual numbers.

Here's the link to the most recent Variety update mentioned by Key

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/box-office-godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-aladdin-1203230321/

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Based on its Thursday of 1.13 if it follows IW it will have an 8.4M weekend. I think it will go lower with it losing more screens than IW did (705 vs 234) and having more competition this weekend.