sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

8 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Telling you guys right now, Pets 2 and Hobbs and Shaw are also going to land in the 50s. Disney has brainwashed the masses to only support their movies. Maleficent 2's gonna make more than every Uni movie and almost every WB movie in 2019 at this rate.

A peek at the grim future ahead:

ezgif-1-c469cb715a3f.gif

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

1 minute ago, Brinatico said:

Some day Disney going to fall to earth. 

But no this year

Only thing that will make Disney fall back to earth. Is global warming. The real effects will be seen in next 20 years 

but naturally nothing can stop Disney 

disney + is gonna destroy the streaming game 

Want to take a moment to drop some thoughts to @Mulder and @Brainbug (and a bit to @BoxOfficeZ as well) as well as anyone else who has been pushing hard for the film whose name escapes me at the moment.

I know more than most here how it feels to have the Box Office Gods stab you through the heart on a film* you've been stanning for months.  

It sucks. It's awful and it generally just plain hurts.  Just want to send some thoughts out publicly to them and let them know that I'm thinking about them.

And, hey, never know.  Might still get some legs when all is said and done. Here's hoping at least.

* I was tagged during Solo's OW and while I was in no mood to comment at the time, I did appreciate the sentiment. I felt I should pass this forward to other folks in a similar position.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Brinatico said:

Some day Disney going to fall to earth. 

But no this year

Are you talking about their film division only (bec it's only their 3rd largest division, TV and Parks are their largest moneymakers)? Next year maybe. They don't have a huge release next year since they delayed Avatar. Wonder Woman might win DOM. But Disney will rise again in 2021 onwards.

Other big thing is how accurate Pulse to BO has been. Zilla sales were skewed towards thursday and so its OD is skewed heavier on previews. Looking at PS for tomorrow dont expect a great saturday increase.  I could see it tapering out at 45m at worst.

25999	2019-05-30	THU	Godzilla: King of the Monsters
28754	2019-05-31	FRI	Godzilla: King of the Monsters
13381	2019-06-01	SAT	Godzilla: King of the Monsters
5252	2019-06-02	SUN	Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Just now, Minnale101 said:

Only thing that will make Disney fall back to earth. Is global warming. The real effects will be seen in next 20 years 

but naturally nothing can stop Disney 

disney + is gonna destroy the streaming game 

There is no much left on the SH.

The anime adaptation is almost over and Star wars movies are down.

Just Avatar sequels and some new Pixar is left. 

Unless we keep viewing the same recicle over and over again 

Lol why does Disney get brought up every time another studio’s movie underperforms? It’s not like Disney is immune to underperforming movies. We’ve had multiple in the past 2 years. Disney gets blame when Disney movies underperform. Disney gets blame when non-Disney movies underperform.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 9

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Other big thing is how accurate Pulse to BO has been. Zilla sales were skewed towards thursday and so its OD is skewed heavier on previews. Looking at PS for tomorrow dont expect a great saturday increase.  I could see it tapering out at 45m at worst.

25999	2019-05-30	THU	Godzilla: King of the Monsters
28754	2019-05-31	FRI	Godzilla: King of the Monsters
13381	2019-06-01	SAT	Godzilla: King of the Monsters
5252	2019-06-02	SUN	Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Ok, this is starting to get sad. I was expecting mid-high 50s. An OW in the 40 range could spell actual trouble for this film.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Want to take a moment to drop some thoughts to @Mulder and @Brainbug (and a bit to @BoxOfficeZ as well) as well as anyone else who has been pushing hard for the film whose name escapes me at the moment.

I know more than most here how it feels to have the Box Office Gods stab you through the heart on a film* you've been stanning for months.  

It sucks. It's awful and it generally just plain hurts.  Just want to send some thoughts out publicly to them and let them know that I'm thinking about them.

And, hey, never know.  Might still get some legs when all is said and done. Here's hoping at least.

* I was tagged during Solo's OW and while I was in no mood to comment at the time, I did appreciate the sentiment. I felt I should pass this forward to other folks in a similar position.

Great post and they are all great posters who stuck with the ship that definitely hit the iceberg. They will be ok. I am impressed with Pikachu fans back after its BO was not up to mark.

• Like 5

Disney has basically a monopoly on the strong release dates and thats really hurting others studios. That they continue to crank quality films and aren't shooting themselves in the foot is really hurting others too.

WB is really getting screwed with the release dates. They're settling for all the garbage dates behind Disney. Justice League and both Fantastic Beats were severely hurt by the hideous November opening, the post memorial day one is no different.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Disney is having a year. That I don’t think will be broken for next 20 years 

Adjusted? Otherwise you’re predicting the death of cinema 😛 

It happens man. Only movie I had attachment to was detective Pikachu. 

Movie obviously disappointed box office and predictions were looney toons looking back at it 

just gotta move on and hope the studio learns from mistakes and make better movies.

dont be salty about other studios. 

Toy story 4 and the lion king I can’t wait to watch 

Just now, excel1 said:

WB is really getting screwed with the release dates. They're settling for all the garbage dates behind Disney. Justice League and both Fantastic Beats were severely hurt by the hideous November opening, the post memorial day one is no different

The November date before Thanksgiving Weekend is a great date. Catching Fire opened to $158M and expect Frozen 2 to have a $150M+ OW. More to do with WB's continued struggles with their major franchises than any release dates.

• Like 4

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

The November date before Thanksgiving Weekend is a great date. 

No, it isn't. How did the other hunger games sequels do? Catching Fire is like the only example from the last 10 years of success there

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Feel bad for @Brainbug, but then he enjoyed it so that's enough for him.

Meanwhile, :hahaha:

At least it’s better to have your favorite franchise’s movie be meh BO but you love the film vs great BO movie you hate. 

• Like 1

Just now, excel1 said:

No, it isn't. How did the other hunger games sequels do? Catching Fire is like the only example from the last 10 years of success there

That's more to do with the quality of the films being released there than anything. You put a film people want to actually see on that date like WW84 or Aquaman 2 it'll do well.