sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I mean, hasn't Aladdin stayed almost flat or had a very low drop in most countries?

It hasn’t had a second weekend yet. I don’t see it staying flat in the UK, coming from a 5 day opening. 

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

You do know in the Int'l section there are already Thur numbers in several markets and w/e projections right?  Just like there are w/e projections on Friday in the US market.  Just like they can extrapolate what ball park the w/e will be like in China.

Yeh. But projections in the international markets are a bit trickier than US. 

Just your post sounded like the weekend numbers were somehow already in, that’s all lol. 

Anyway i wasn't all into King of Monsters. Some cool action in it, but there is way too much eyerolling stupidity like that speech. Even Alex Jones couldn't make that more dumb.

but it still isn't nowhere near as dumb as anything introduced in these transformer sequels and it totally works as a mindless action movie.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

8 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

Ouch. I wonder if this is just a scenario of: Sequel being released Too late or the 2014 Godzilla movie's reception made people not want to come back.

I think people really underestimated just how badly 2014 burned audiences, the WOM on it was dreadful. KOTM so far has great WOM and should have decent legs ala Kong. It suffered from the last film but will help instill good will into the series for people which will help next years Godzilla vs Kong.

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

King of the Monsters reminds me of Wrath of the Titans. The first one did well because of hype and cool trailers but wasn't well liked, and the sequel nosedived, despite the sequel promising more action and monsters

I mean, this shouldn't see a 188 mil decrease though. 100 mil decrease at worst. The good thing is that Godzilla '14 had terrible legs in most countries, and I don't see this falling off a cliff like that did so even with a large decrease in OW, it could still get close with better legs.

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I mean, this shouldn't see a 188 mil decrease though. 100 mil decrease at worst. The good thing is that Godzilla '14 had terrible legs in most countries, and I don't see this falling off a cliff like that did so even with a large decrease in OW, it could still get close with better legs.

Too much competition in the coming weeks: SLOP2, Dark Phoenix, TS4, FFH, and TLK. Just now, it's struggling against Aladdin in many OS markets. It's just worse when you consider that KOTM's opening in those markets is struggling against a movie that is going on its 2nd weekend.

Edited by UserHN

5 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Too much competition in the coming weeks: SLOP2, Dark Phoenix, TS4, FFH, and TLK.

SLOP 2 (might underperform too) and TS4 (also 3-4 weeks away depending on the market) aren't direct competition and others, except for Dark Pheonix, are coming over a month away. Dark Pheonix is the only real competition it has got and that film is looking to underperform quite a bit too.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

SLOP 2 (might underperform too) and TS4 (also 3-4 weeks away depending on the market) aren't direct competition and others, except for Dark Pheonix, are coming over a month away. Dark Pheonix is the only real competition it has got and that film is looking to underperform quite a bit too.

Direct competition or not, it will still result in the movie losing many screens to competitors.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

I didn't like G14 but there was more cinematic craft to it than I could say for any blockbuster released over the past year-plus.

I love the way cinematic craft supposedly doesn't include storytelling, writing, acting or pacing. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

SLOP opened to less than half the first film here in the UK. Big drops incoming. 

5 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

That seems really good for Dark Phoenix and Men In Black, I thought they’d be DOA, even in China. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I didn't like G14 but there was more cinematic craft to it than I could say for any blockbuster released over the past year-plus.

Fallout?

The best thing about G14 was that the monsters felt like they were actually there. They had weight and scale that seemed tangible instead of just CGI. Too bad about the rest of the movie, though.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-forecast-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-quentin-tarantino/

TS4 - 151M, 495M

OUATIH - 50M, 165M

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-forecast-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-quentin-tarantino/

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood: 40-60 range. 50/165

MIB International: 41/112.5 (+5%)

Shaft: 24/69 (-14%)

Anna: 6/17

Child's Play: 18 (+6%)/42.5

Toy Story 4: 151 (+29%)/495 (+27%)

IdenticalShrillDassierat-size_restricted

Edited by oMeriMombatti
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I'd argue Into The Spider-Verse was just as cinematically astounding, if not more. Yeah, it's animation, but 95% of all animated movies don't aim for cinematic appeal.

Live-action wise...... Mission: Impossible, Fallout is the only thing I'd put at the same level (or above) Godzilla '14 as far as pure craft goes. Gareth Edwards would be a Nolan 2.0 if he had good scripts to direct. The man is an absolute craftsmanship machine. Sadly, he doesn't get those good scripts to balance out his technical competence (between Godzilla and Rogue One.... yeah, neither had exactly killer screenplays).

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1