Jump to content
sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

Recommended Posts

IMO, Warner's waited too long to follow-up 2014's very good Godzilla picture with this one.  I don't think many general viewers saw connections between Godzilla and the Kong movie so there was no momentum generated there.

 

Also, let's face it - Aladdin is just capturing more interest than anticipated. It is probably taking some business away from Godzilla.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

Only thing wrong about Aladdin right now is that we don't get a video game made out of it. Apparently the Genesis game is good. The SNES one not so much, but that just sounds like Blasphemy since the 90s is Capcom's peak.

 

Which reminds me that we never got a good Godzilla Video Game

I wasted hours upon hours playing that game.   In related news I wasn’t dating 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

King Kong and Godzilla movies never seem to over perform. They either perform within expectations or more often than not underperform. Therefore, I don’t know whether there was ever an appetite for a universe based on these monsters. I am not surprised that KOTM under performed. Anecdotally, I have no desire to see it and neither do any of my friends, especially when the 2014 Godzilla was just flat out bad. 

this is a very good point and one of reasons why I suck at predicting movies that skew too much Internet nerd culture than GA. Internet tends to get really hyped for monster mash and visually stunning hard sci fi (BR2049 comes to mind) so they hype them and that creates illusion that GA would go for it too. And it doesn't happen.

 

from what I could see, GA loves spectacle as long as they get some feel of the story and like the characters as presented in the previews. Monster mash movies tend to have stories that don't interest regular people and personality-free characters, while hard sci fi tends to be cold. I fully expect Internet to go crazy for Dune part 1 previews and therefore initiate overestimation around here resulting in inevitable meltdowns. unless by some miracle, Villeneuve plays up likable charisma of Jason Momoa (not a big role, though) and by even bigger miracle made a warm movie out of a notriously cold source, I don't think GA will bite. 

 

So yeah, something to think about. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

IMO, Warner's waited too long to follow-up 2014's very good Godzilla picture with this one.  I don't think many general viewers saw connections between Godzilla and the Kong movie so there was no momentum generated there.

 

Also, let's face it - Aladdin is just capturing more interest than anticipated. It is probably taking some business away from Godzilla.

 

 

 

The film can only blame itself, the initial buzz from the trailer suggest that audience crowd would like to forget the Zilla 14 if they dislike it. But this sequel turns out to be an forgettable CGI tentpole in a saturated marketplace.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maximum Avery said:

. i want krissy to change.. yes... is it too much to ask? Maybe to you.. but for me its long overdue people move on... 

Move on? I’m 31, own a house, am in a 9 year long relationship, travel the world, have a university degree and a great career.

 

I have always loved horror films too, big deal!

 

I don’t need to “move on”. Entertainment is huge part of my life and I love it. 

  • Like 17
  • Astonished 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway, let’s get back on track and bring on the weekend numbers! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

The film can only blame itself, the initial buzz from the trailer suggest that audience crowd would like to forget the Zilla 14 if they dislike it. But this sequel turns out to be an forgettable CGI tentpole in a saturated marketplace.  

Zilla 14 was in extremely good position to win over GA - previews highlighted Cranston who was super hot at the time thanks to Breaking Bad so people were hyped to see Walter White vs kaiju. I honestly think that presence of a popular actor increased the interest among movie-goers that otherwise don't care for this type of movies. Unfortunately, it was  abait and switch. I don't understand why WB allowed this, why they couldn't see it was a mistake, but Cranston's early departure and ATJ suckage as the lead were main complaints why the movie failed to deliver. people were really disappointed with this development. 

 

Zilla 19 not only comes on the heels of 14 disappointment but also has no one in the cast of Cranston stature (MBB's IG and twitter followers stirred clear of this by the look of it lol, even though she's within the same freakin genre so basically the safest thing outside of appearing in a SH movie). no wonder it's flopping world-wide. I don't know what WB was thinking. swaps real star for no star, then casts fake star to carry the sequel. lol. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed will be nice to see. Hopefully soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Zilla 14 was in extremely good position to win over GA - previews highlighted Cranston who was super hot at the time thanks to Breaking Bad so people were hyped to see Walter White vs kaiju. I honestly think that presence of a popular actor increased the interest among movie-goers that otherwise don't care for this type of movies. Unfortunately, it was  abait and switch. I don't understand why WB allowed this, why they couldn't see it was a mistake, but Cranston's early departure and ATJ suckage as the lead were main complaints why the movie failed to deliver. people were really disappointed with this development. 

 

Zilla 19 not only comes on the heels of 14 disappointment but also has no one in the cast of Cranston stature (MBB's IG and twitter followers stirred clear of this by the look of it lol, even though she's within the same freakin genre so basically the safest thing outside of appearing in a SH movie). no wonder it's flopping world-wide. I don't know what WB was thinking. swaps real star for no star, then casts fake star to carry the sequel. lol. 

WB still has the mindset of audiences are easier to please, they will flock into cinema for every CGI effect on screen. 

 

Take EG as example, the film are far less action intense than IW yet grossed a lot more, proving that audience nowadays aren't just want the visual feast, they want to interact with the characters or even the actor they can connect, albeit fictional.

 

Sadly in this case, WB mistakenly think that people can connect with godzilla.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A- Cinemascore for Rocketman compared to A for Bohemian and ASIB. I wonder why. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Move on? I’m 31, own a house, am in a 9 year long relationship, travel the world, have a university degree and a great career.

 

I have always loved horror films too, big deal!

 

I don’t need to “move on”. Entertainment is huge part of my life and I love it. 

Exactly my point.. horizons horizons.. they are infinite.. all i am saying:) i told you horror is the only genre i will watch each movie it comes out because its visceral... nothing wrong with horror.. just try to expand or if you dont want to consider stasis might not be best way of living if we want to progress:) if not even that is enough then we are on the opposite side of the fence and whatever you might say will only be status quo endorsment:) have a nice day

 

TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

IMO, Warner's waited too long to follow-up 2014's very good Godzilla picture with this one.  I don't think many general viewers saw connections between Godzilla and the Kong movie so there was no momentum generated there.

 

Also, let's face it - Aladdin is just capturing more interest than anticipated. It is probably taking some business away from Godzilla.

 

 

 

I don't even think this is it. Godzilla 2014 was not really a well received picture. The audience ratings are not high and its multiple is just over 2.

Without MD weekend it wouldn't have made it to 200M. it dropped 66% on a holiday weekend.

 

I think the bigger issue is there simply isn't that big of an audience for these monster movies. I think the interested population is smaller than people think - I don't have any friends that had any interest at all in seeing this movie. 

 

I'd also argue that Kong is a bigger monster in the DOM market than Godzilla. None of the Godzilla movies have ever really played that well here and most of them make about 1/2 their money the opening week and die off quickly (usually with 60%+ drops the 2nd weekend).

 

If WB wants to continue to make the monster movies it likely needs to cut the budgets by 25-30% to have a chance to make any money off of them.

 

I think it is probably highly satisfying for those who like monster movies, but that is not the general GA.

The marketing was aimed almost exclusively at the fanbase and really did nothing to try to pull anything other than that into the theaters. There was absolutely nothing in the marketing for the GA to grab onto. Just a bunch of monsters that they don't know fighting in dark lighting and destroying cities.

 

 

Edited by RamblinRed
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

WB still has the mindset of audiences are easier to please, they will flock into cinema for every CGI effect on screen. 

 

Take EG as example, the film are far less action intense than IW yet grossed a lot more, proving that audience nowadays aren't just want the visual feast, they want to interact with the characters or even the actor they can connect, albeit fictional.

 

Sadly in this case, WB mistakenly think that people can connect with godzilla.

I think it's perfectly possible to connect with Zilla if Zilla connected with human characters who serve as our proxy. Unfortunately, that isn't the case with this movie or the previous one. as you say, audience wants to interact with characters and characters in Zilla movies mostly run away from him and other monsters, lol. which is fine for the genre just doesn't really put EG numbers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

Edited by sfran43
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

Edited by sfran43
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

A- Cinemascore for Rocketman compared to A for Bohemian and ASIB. I wonder why. 

 

I was gonna say it has a more muted/somber ending, but ASIB had a flat out depressing ending so that wouldn’t work.  Maybe some people didn’t expect it to be a musical as opposed to just a music biopic?

Edited by That One Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Me trying to look for numbers/analysis either here or r/boxoffice for the past couple of weeks and what i actually foundbored kid GIF

R/boxoffice get the numbers from us and our insiders. So I don’t why you will look for numbers there first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

 

I was gonna say it has a more muted/somber ending, but ASIB had a flat out depressing ending so that wouldn’t work.  Maybe some people didn’t expect it to be a musical?

Maybe Lady Gaga was the reason for the A for ASIB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.