sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

13 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

I don't even think this is it. Godzilla 2014 was not really a well received picture. The audience ratings are not high and its multiple is just over 2.

Without MD weekend it wouldn't have made it to 200M. it dropped 66% on a holiday weekend.

I think the bigger issue is there simply isn't that big of an audience for these monster movies. I think the interested population is smaller than people think - I don't have any friends that had any interest at all in seeing this movie. 

I'd also argue that Kong is a bigger monster in the DOM market than Godzilla. None of the Godzilla movies have ever really played that well here and most of them make about 1/2 their money the opening week and die off quickly (usually with 60%+ drops the 2nd weekend).

If WB wants to continue to make the monster movies it likely needs to cut the budgets by 25-30% to have a chance to make any money off of them.

I think it is probably highly satisfying for those who like monster movies, but that is not the general GA.

The marketing was aimed almost exclusively at the fanbase and really did nothing to try to pull anything other than that into the theaters. There was absolutely nothing in the marketing for the GA to grab onto. Just a bunch of monsters that they don't know fighting in dark lighting and destroying cities.

Only Asian Markets Saving Those Films ... 

2 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

Not this one this time.

China and Japan aren’t SAVING the film, but it speaks volumes that it’s doing GREAT in Japan. It shows to me that they, and fans loved the film... in that case a good GODZILLA film...nothing more.