sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Certainly makes the slate of franchise films even weaker than it already was next year. I feel like Fast and Furious 9 has more of a chance of being sub 200 then increasing from 8. So that basically leaves Wonder Woman, Bond, and MCU as the only franchise heavy hitters. And none stand much of any chance to hit 500. 

TOP GUN : MAVERICK

• Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

10 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

Maybe you need to have some sex to calm down. That's why i'm so happy all the time

Sex is a bonus..just like great food, hobbies, science, sport, books, music, travel, conversation or dancing and all other good things.. put it all together with dream of MORE and for everyone and you have a happy life... now if you are talking about great sex.. well.. thats more exhausting than sport and dancing combined.. it takes your soul from you:/ unforgettable things are something like winning a war where you are being attacked and watching your small country of 4mil reach 2nd place in the biggest sport event in history^^ or endgame reaching n1 hahah jk:) altho it would be nice to see superhero movie do this, just to prove everyone bias and prejudice against imagination is futile and resisting it is treadding oily waters upstream...remember ROTK oscar sweep? Good numbers except godzilla... hope its good 

TTVOMJ

On 5/12/2019 at 2:27 AM, ZeeSoh said:

Detective Pikachu has made 43.4m till Friday. This includes 10.4 million till Thursday in Japan. Removing that gives 32m till Friday (assuming 1m in Japan on Friday). The only major market it has not opened in is Russia. 

Shazam had made 44m overseas till Friday. Out of this Russia was 1.96m. Removing that gives a total of 42.04

So DP is running at 32m till Friday in OS-Ch&Rus. Shazam was 42m till Friday in OS-Ch&Rus. 

Shazam went on to gross 102.3m till Sunday. DP is running 24% behind Shazam but lets assume Shazam is more frontloaded. DP will also make about 8 million more in China over the OW. With all others being equal it seems like DP is heading for around 100m overseas opening. Combined with about 60m domestic opening gives us a combined opening weekend of 160m which is where Shazam opened to as well. 

160m is precisely where Deadline had it pegged as well before its opening. A report on which a few fans laughed. 

Similar trajectory as Shazam will result in a similar gross, around 375m. But even assuming a better run both overseas and domestically I dont see this doing more than 450m. Right now I have it at 430m worldwide 

6 minutes ago, a2k said:

14.6 os weekend, 6.7 dom weekend, 392.1 ww

25-30 more os, 15 more dom gives about 435 ww.

looking at share of dom, china and os-china it will get 180-185 theatrical returns.

@Minnale101 still think I am wrong?

Rocketman had a decent weekend multiplier, indicating it is indeed playing to an older audience, even going up on Saturday from a Friday that was boosted by two different days of previews. Bodes well for staying power.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Zilla 2019 will have a bad drop next weekend, thanks to SLOP 2 and Dark Phoenix. Yeah, even if both movies underperform/flop, they'll take a lot of screens from Zilla.

I wouldn't rule out a 60% drop for Zilla.

I have a bad feeling about the next two weekends at the box office in general. SLOP has been hemorrhaging from the first in the OS markets its opened in, and who even knows how low DP could go if KOTM did this bad. I feel marketing for MIB hasn't been strong enough to carry that to a big OW either, though I actually think it will be well liked and get a strong multi. But can TS4 just open already? 

• Like 1

Just now, ZeeSoh said:

@Minnale101 still think I am wrong?

Yeah you are wrong because you over predicted it 😂😂😂😂

nah but honestly my prediction was under the impression. Aladdin wasn’t gonna be good but the movie is awesome. It’s making a killing. Happy to be wrong 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I have a bad feeling about the next two weekends at the box office in general. SLOP has been hemorrhaging from the first in the OS markets its opened in, and who even knows how low DP could go if KOTM did this bad. I feel marketing for MIB hasn't been strong enough to carry that to a big OW either, though I actually think it will be well liked and get a strong multi. But can TS4 just open already? 

The audiences are saving up for the talking toys and animals and a super arachnid.

Just now, John Marston said:

They need to do some reshoots giving Alexander Skarsgård many shirtless scenes in Godzilla v Kong. It would help attract female audiences 

Did the V help Tarzan? I can't remember. Alex is so forgettable. He's a TV guy.

• Knock It Off 1