sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

I posted this on the TLK thread but I'll post it again in this thread.

I've come to realize that I really like it now if commenters in Twitter/BOT/Reddit hate a movie that I'm anticipating. Might be a form of good luck. So please please make your hate for TLK and TS4 as intense as possible. Invite your friends to also trash the film in social media. Tell them to don't dare love TLK or TS4 before it will be released (like how they loved Shazam, Pika, and Zilla).

Edited by UserHN

6 minutes ago, Alli said:

Poor Godzy. It had two deadly things to overcome... It's paying the price for the 2014 one being sucky. Plus, this didn't impress the critics either.

But GZ14 impressed the critics and it still ended up being sucky so this one not impressing the critics shouldn't matter. I loved the trailers and the spectacle they promised. The ow is shocking. Even PRU's ow dropped better from PR's ow than this. Sometimes things cannot be explained. It's boxoffice town, forget it.

Edited by a2k

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I'm sure WB was just thrilled with its $350m "over-performance" on that $180m budget. 

I mean...

A lot of people had it pegged for sub 250m WW before release. 

Monsterverse has never really recovered after killing Bryan Cranston off in the first Godzilla after 20 minutes. I know some fans like to compare that move to Janet Leigh Psycho.  The difference is Psycho is still a gripping movie after Janet Leigh dies. While Godzilla 2014 becomes a boring slog with one of theist bland leads imaginable 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Yeah you are wrong because you over predicted it 😂😂😂😂

nah but honestly my prediction was under the impression. Aladdin wasn’t gonna be good but the movie is awesome. It’s making a killing. Happy to be wrong 

Hey I made that prediction based solely on the Friday numbers before even the weekend projections for Dom and OS had come in. I am just happy this weekend that my Pikachu prediction and Godzilla China predictions have been bang on. 😁

• Like 1

Just now, John Marston said:

Monsterverse has never really recovered after killing Bryan Cranston off in the first Godzilla after 20 minutes. I know some fans like to compare that move to Janet Leigh Psycho.  The difference is Psycho is still a gripping movie after Janet Leigh dies. While Godzilla 2014 becomes a boring slog with one of theist bland leads imaginable 

The fact that Johnson has been considered for so many big roles since then, including Batman just recently, is terrifying. He hasn't gotten  them, but why is he even still in conversations? Also signs that dementia is setting in for elderly Nolan for casting him? 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

The fact that Johnson has been considered for so many big roles since then, including Batman just recently, is terrifying. He hasn't gotten  them, but why is he even still in conversations? Also signs that dementia is setting in for elderly Nolan for casting him? 

there are not many 20 something hot actors. i'm also surprised Nick Hoult was in the cards for so many roles lately.

44 minutes ago, John Marston said:

seems the people that hated Godzilla 2014 love KOTM, while the people that liked Godzilla 2014 hate it

Or there are some like me that was really disappointed with both movies. Both were one and done for me.  I'm a character-driven viewer. You get me on board with the character(s) of your movie and I'll sit back and enjoy the ride no matter how stupid your story is lol. If the story is a good one that's just gravy. Both Godzilla movies absolutely FAILED in the character department. KOTM failed in just about every aspect. Couldn't even get the action scenes right.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Have you seen Nocturnal Animals?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, filmlover said:

I honestly won't be surprised if Dark Phoenix was lucky to cross $40M next weekend at the rate things are going at this point.

Try 30m. KOTM's marketing was far superior to DP's, and DP is in the same position of coming off of a disliked film. Except that film is even fresher in audience's minds. They also made the lead character a character this reboot franchise had barely established in any of the others, leaving most in the GA to wonder where tf Turner even came from in this franchise. If it gets bad reviews, I say 25m. 

Yikes for Zilla lol. 120 DOM, 130 China, 130 OS-China = 380WW? 

Shit, hopefully GvK picks up next year. I would like to see this franchise get to continue, so I hope that one does something like 200 DOM and 600 WW.