sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

2 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

The Last Stand is recognized as one of the worst SH movies ever made? WTF? Maybe in the MCU fansites. 

It is pretty bad though,

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

Glad to see a decentish hold for Booksmart - best movie I've seen in theatres this year.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned so far, but Captain Marvel just went over Shrek adjusted. I can barely get my head around that. Amazing run.

Aladdin looks set for a cracking run, what are we looking at WW finish with this hold?

• Like 1

Few series have had the highs and lows of the X-men series

1: Decent, but hasn't aged well

2: Still one of the best superhero films ever made

3: Half ok, the half with Phoenix and Juggernaut is awful

Origins Wolverine: Laughable and deserving of a MST3K episode

First Class: Should have just been the Magneto movie, but it's ok if a little hokey

Days of Future Past: Also decent, and has some nice pathos, but the Magneto/Xavier dynamic is so tiring at this point

Apocalypse: Even worse than 3, a tiring slog that rehashes almost everything

Logan: A fantastic film that serves as a great closure on the original cast.

Who knows how Dark Phoenix will go, but Simon Kinberg doesn't give me confidence.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

The Last Stand is recognized as one of the worst SH movies ever made? WTF? Maybe in the MCU fansites. 

I don't visit fansites, nor do I consider opinions sourced (and/or nursed) there particularly worthwhile. Yes, "The Last Stand" is considered one of the worst superhero films ever made. No, I didn't come to that conclusion by lurking Reddit and IGN. 

9 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

If that happens we will never see the end of clickbait articles of "Superhero Fatigue" until Spiderman Far From Home shows up.

Those always happen when a superhero movie noone was looking forward to underperforms.

I don't think those articles get written anymore. Not after Endgame's opening weekend. 

Maybe the IndieWire guy might write one. But he's basically the single worst box office analyst currently drawing a paycheck so nothing he writes would surprise me. 

2 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Few series have had the highs and lows of the X-men series

1: Decent, but hasn't aged well

2: Still one of the best superhero films ever made

3: Half ok, the half with Phoenix and Juggernaut is awful

Origins Wolverine: Laughable and deserving of a MST3K episode

First Class: Should have just been the Magneto movie, but it's ok if a little hokey

Days of Future Past: Also decent, and has some nice pathos, but the Magneto/Xavier dynamic is so tiring at this point

Apocalypse: Even worse than 3, a tiring slog that rehashes almost everything

Logan: A fantastic film that serves as a great closure on the original cast.

Who knows how Dark Phoenix will go, but Simon Kinberg doesn't give me confidence.

I'll do my own.

1: decent but hasn't aged well (you're right on the money)

2: great movie, but doesn't hold up to the best superhero movies of today

3: butchered the Phoenix saga, but it's really entertaining and has some truly great moments

Origins: it was fun when I was 10 years old, but doesn't offer much beyond that

First Class: one of the best CBMs ever

The Wolverine: pretty boring tbh

DOFP: also one of the best CBMs ever

Apocalypse: it's fine to watch it once and does have great moments, but I don't have any desire to see it again

Logan: ALSO one of the best cbms ever

• Like 3

These new X-Films squander such a great cast in Apocalypse and (it looks like) Dark Phoenix. McAvoy's great, Fassbender was robbed of an Oscar for Steve Jobs, Hoult was great in Mad Max & The Favourite, and JLaw's excellent when she chooses to be. Even Sophie Turner was pretty good on Game of Thrones. Ready Player One was kind of a bland choice for Cyclops though.

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I don’t even get why they continued with the First Class universe and not the original cast. It’s not like the original cast was old or anything except off Stewart and Mckellen but they’re still active 

One word ultimately: contract. They had to make films every so often to keep their contract with Marvel. It worked for them and to be honest I am glad we Days of Future Past. 

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

I'll do my own.

1: decent but hasn't aged well (you're right on the money)

2: great movie, but doesn't hold up to the best superhero movies of today

3: butchered the Phoenix saga, but it's really entertaining and has some truly great moments

Origins: it was fun when I was 10 years old, but doesn't offer much beyond that

First Class: one of the best CBMs ever

The Wolverine: pretty boring tbh

DOFP: also one of the best CBMs ever

Apocalypse: it's fine to watch it once and does have great moments, but I don't have any desire to see it again

Logan: ALSO one of the best cbms ever

Me am a lemming:

1. Decent fun but like others say don't age well.

2: Not one of the best CBMs but it pretty great.

3. Not of one of the worst CBMs butt despite some entertaining moments it's awful.

Origins: Laughable and not in the good way.

First Class: One of the best CBMs ever

The Wolverine: forgettable

DOFP: Also one of the best CBMs recently

Apocalypse: Bad and boring, the sthick of Magneto evil again is boring.

Logan: 3rd best CBM ever

• Like 2

I'll play, but I'll rank them in order:

#1 Logan - As said earlier, a top 3 alltime superhero movie

#2 First Class - the first - and last - time one of these movies almost felt like an actual X-Men story with real X-Men in it.

#3 Days of Future Past - Bryan Singer expended the very last dregs of his talent getting this completed. 

#4 X2 - It's "Wrath of Khan" but Kirk and Bones both want to have sex with Spock. 

#5 The Wolverine - It's just kinda there
#6 X-Men - imagine if this cinematic universe began with a director who wasn't so obviously ashamed of the material he was adapting. And then imagine the studio not cutting its budget in half during production. 

#7 Apocalypse - exhausted slumming

#8 X3 - Brett Ratner empties a fridge full of leftovers into a microwave full of tinfoil.

#9 Origins - Pure trash

I fully expect Dark Phoenix to settle somewhere between #7-#9.

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier

X-Men epitomizes a franchise that has hit every part of the high to low spectrum:

Great

1. Days of Future Past

2. X2

Good

3. Logan

4. First Class

Decent

5. X-Men

6. The Wolverine

Bad

7. Apocalypse

Toxic

8. X3

9. Origins 

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

just turned on the TV and x men 2 was on. Hugh Jackman driving a Mazda RX-8? And didnt know Brian Cox is in X-Men. he should be in the MCU.

Still the best X-men team up movie (otherwise it's Deadpool) IMO. How they butchered the storyline with X-Men 3 is something to behold.