sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

3 minutes ago, a2k said:

Shazam

139*0.55 + 43*0.25 + 180*0.40 = 159 on 90-100 prod budget

if it actually only got $159m revenue then it will have lost money theatrically. Sad Shazam.

hey remember those Fantastic Four movies from 2005 to 2007? I noticed the second one actually made more money opening weekend than the first. Guess the first one was not actually that disliked. Guessing mainly because of Chris Evans 

2 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

Still the best X-men team up movie (otherwise it's Deadpool) IMO. How they butchered the storyline with X-Men 3 is something to behold.

i'm currently watching a scene where a man is sitting on a toilet drinking beer and getting a blowjob from a woman who I'm guessing is Jennifer Lawrence character Mysterio or whtever she's called. this is easily the best Xmen I've watched!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

hey remember those Fantastic Four movies from 2005 to 2007? I noticed the second one actually made more money opening weekend than the first. Guess the first one was not actually that disliked. Guessing mainly because of Chris Evans 

Lol, the GA had no idea who Chris Evans was at the time. Part of why Evans got Cap in spite of already playing a Marvel superhero was because he was still a relative unknown to the GA at the time and so that association wasn't anything he really had to overcome with audiences. Jessica Alba was the only name in those movies back then (lmao).  

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lol, the GA had no idea who Chris Evans was at the time. Part of why Evans got Cap in spite of already playing a Marvel superhero was because he was still a relative unknown to the GA at the time and so that association wasn't anything he really had to overcome with audiences. Jessica Alba was the only name in those movies back then (lmao).  

I think he meant performance.. or at least i hope so... evans was hillarious as johny storm... fun flick because of his and michael chiklis(not sure how you spell it) interaction

TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Typos
  • Like 1

DOFP, X2, FC and logan were the best things of the xmen franchise

X3 for me is not a horrible movie, it was basically like some current movies that get critically acclaimed, weak scripts, good special effects and good action scenes.

XMA is the worst of all for several reasons, it was a story with a lot of potential but that turned into generic film and more of the same.

X1 is a decent movie and I hope phoenix is on that list, it would be very sad if the franchise ends its story with another horrible movie

Edited by KellyStorm

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

When first cast yes, after the movies - no.  Evans along with Chiklis easily got the best reviews and audience feedback from the first (and second) film.  He also got significant blow back on his casting for Cap b/c many still saw him as the cocky comedic Johnny. 

Evans got the movie in spite of being well known as Johnny Storm.  Feige says it's why they skipped over him when they were first looking but when the casting director brought his name up again after they couldn't find someone they really wanted - then he specifically looked at his other work like Sunshine and offered him the role.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KellyStorm said:

DOFP, X2, FC and logan were the best things of the xmen franchise

X3 for me is not a horrible movie, it was basically like some current movies that get critically acclaimed, weak scripts, good special effects and good action scenes.

XMA is the worst of all for several reasons, it was a story with a lot of potential but that turned into generic film and more of the same.

X1 is a decent movie and I hope phoenix is on that list, it would be very sad if the franchise ends its story with another horrible movie

X3 has become like the epitome of movies that do not get critically acclaimed, though I personally had a good time watching it, still it was an especially tough blow following the great X2. I see it akin to XMA, if it weren't for the trajectory of the Wolverine films, I would say Xmen has a third movie curse 

I like that you included First Class up there, I still feel that movie is criminally underrated

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

When first cast yes, after the movies - no.  Evans along with Chiklis easily got the best reviews and audience feedback from the first (and second) film.  He also got significant blow back on his casting for Cap b/c many still saw him as the cocky comedic Johnny. 

Evans got the movie in spite of being well known as Johnny Storm.  Feige says it's why they skipped over him when they were first looking but when the casting director brought his name up again after they couldn't find someone they really wanted - then he specifically looked at his other work like Sunshine and offered him the role.

I can't tell you one person I knew who knew who Evans was before Cap. I remember when FF2 came out and absolutely no one was considering him any kind of box office draw. 

1 minute ago, Justin4125 said:

I like that you included First Class up there, I still feel that movie is criminally underrated

totally agree, I have it the best of the 3 new cast X-men movies so far and I don't think Dark Phoenix is going to best it from how it looks.  But I could be totally wrong with that since I haven't seen it yet :P

If KOTM can open sub-50 even if by a hair, sub-40 for DARKP is incoming imo. Though unlike Godzilla (3 movies in 20 odd years), X-Men fans have repeatedly proven their loyalty.

Edited by a2k

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I can't tell you one person I knew who knew who Evans was before Cap. I remember when FF2 came out and absolutely no one was considering him any kind of box office draw. 

His two FF films grossed nearly $300 mil domestic. Evans may not have been a household name pre-Cap, but I’d say most comic-book fans knew who he was by then.

I liked X3, mostly because of Grammer’s Beast. He was excellent in the role. Too bad he wasn’t cast for the first two X-films. Would’ve been even better had the superhero takeover at the cinema happened about ten years sooner - late Cheers-era Grammer would’ve been a perfect Hank McCoy!

I haven't followed this full thread, so not sure if it's been covered, but I'm assuming people are anticipating the gap between Godzilla and Aladdin to shrink. G:KOTM is showing a smaller drop despite being a very front loaded opening weekend, while Aladdin is seeing a sharper Sunday drop than it had from the Sunday to Monday period on its opening weekend. 

It shouldn't impact the order of the weekend, but it feels like we could see the gap move by a couple of million potentially. 

Just now, a2k said:

If KOTM can open sub-50 even if by a hair, sub-40 for DARKP is incoming imo. Though unlike Godzilla, X-Men fans have repeatedly proven their loyalty.

I mean, kind of? Apocalypse opened pretty bad for a movie coming off of such a well received one in the fanbase. First Class and The Wolverine both had lackluster openings as follow ups to toxic WOM films. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vafrow said:

I haven't followed this full thread, so not sure if it's been covered, but I'm assuming people are anticipating the gap between Godzilla and Aladdin to shrink. G:KOTM is showing a smaller drop despite being a very front loaded opening weekend, while Aladdin is seeing a sharper Sunday drop than it had from the Sunday to Monday period on its opening weekend. 

It shouldn't impact the order of the weekend, but it feels like we could see the gap move by a couple of million potentially. 

Yup, it wouldn’t be shocking to see the 49 42 become a 46 vs 44 or something.

Zilla will go down with actuals. I bet it is closer to 47. WB clearly wanted to at least be able to have that 49 number in the estimates. 

Every Zilla picture in the US has dropped 60% or more in weekend 2, so I expect an ugly drop for this next week, probably looking at a sub 20M number. I think 105M DOM it the ceiling for it.

That is a fantastic hold for Aladdin and bodes well for the rest of its run. That is the 3rd best 2nd weekend ever for a MD release behind the 44.7 of Crystal Skull and the 44.2 of POTC:AWE. (4th best is Bruce Almighty at 37M)

It's also the best % drop of any of the Top 10 MD releases and one of only 2 of the Top 10 that dropped less than 60% in the 2nd weekend. 

Endgame continues to fall at >50% rates (only MD weekend was less). I expect that to largely continue.

The biggest problem with DP of all is that they are expecting Turner to be able to spearhead the film when she's had like probably 6 minutes of cumulative dialouge in the prior films. The GA have no concept of her character in the reboot franchise whatsoever. 

• Like 1

I can’t effing believe we have to live in a Timeline where Rami Malek has an Oscar for that Bohemian Rhapsody travesty, and Taron Eagerton probably won’t even get nominated due to the release date.

Straight. Up. Bull. Shit. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, captainwondyful said:

I can’t effing believe we have to live in a Timeline where Rami Malek has an Oscar for that Bohemian Rhapsody travesty, and Taron Eagerton probably won’t even get nominated due to the release date.

Straight. Up. Bull. Shit. 

The many splendor joys of being a Paramount film.