sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

And in Hobbs & Shaw they're literally fighting a supervillain right?

Speaking of which, i just searched for the film and realised tickets are already on sale. And midnight showings here. Apparently cinemas have high hopes.

Half the stuff Ethan Hunt survives in the latest MI movies would kill Cap instantly.

But I forgot, MI movies are supposed to be 

oh so grounded with real stunts !

:redcapes::hahaha:

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Half the stuff Ethan Hunt survives in the latest MI movies would kill Cap instantly.

there's a difference between the action being authentic, and realistic. No one thinks Mission Impossible is realistic, in fact it's probably best known for all its silly sci-fi tech stuff like face masks.

but the action is terrific because it's all real.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Avatree said:

And in Hobbs & Shaw they're literally fighting a supervillain right?

Speaking of which, i just searched for the film and realised tickets are already on sale. And midnight showings here. Apparently cinemas have high hopes.

Can’t wait until that film is released so I can stop seeing the annoying trailer before Every. Single. Film.

the song drives me mad 

Bottom lines:

Big success for Aladdin.  Mojo says Aladdin actually beat Godzilla on Sunday. That's just crazy.

Disappointment for Godzilla. Is Warner's basically sitting out the rest of the summer until It 2 in early September? Is Shaft a WB release? This was supposed to be a major tent pole and it just isn't.

Decent for Ma and Rocketman

... and John Wick 3 did well, with its budget every dollar made this weekend was going to the various bottom lines. Big success. 

Edited by SteveJaros

43 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Is it not correct though, that the studios if they're running campaigns would want to put their main actors in different categories?

When it is at that superstar level, I would imagine if the actor themselves or Tarantino has an opinion about it, it could supersede what Sony want, but yes they could make like Julia Robert did on August: Osage County and push big actor with big role in supporting.

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

there's a difference between the action being authentic, and realistic. No one thinks Mission Impossible is realistic, in fact it's probably best known for all its silly sci-fi tech stuff like face masks.

Not really.

27 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

oh so grounded

Are they not clearly jokes ?

What would have killed Cap instantly in Mission Impossible Fallout ?

Edited by Barnack

• Community Manager
21 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Yeah, cause Chris Evans has a stuntman but Tom Cruise does almost all his stunts. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I checked out on the MI movies when the helicopter flew in the tunnel, crashed, and the rotor stopped spinning just millimeters from Tom Cruise's face. The action is so over the top it makes me laugh, which I'm sure is not the intended effect. I like good action sequences, like stuff in Indiana Jones or James Bond films. MI jumps the shark on it.

• ...wtf 1

You don't even realize how this romanticization of real stunts for realz(!!!) is new.

Not so long ago, critics and cinephiles never gave a fuck about all this.

It s a (dumb) narrative, nothing more.

Now all these (stupid) action movies, but with REAL STUNTS FOR REALZ (!!!) get those glowing reviews just because.

It s hilarious to watch unfold really.

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Not so long ago, critics and cinephiles never gave a fuck about all this.

A little bit from De Niro to Jackie Chan I remember being somewhat a thing in the past from time to time.

But yes it is a really strange obsession (did Malek sang, Portman do all the dance....)

Godzilla had an underwhelming opening, but I'm not surprised in light of the muted excitement for it outside of the core fan base. The divisive reaction to the first film and release gap between these two films didn't help, and I think the marketing also peaked too early with the cool first trailer that debuted late last summer. Legs are unlikely to be strong with several high-profile June releases battling for screen space in the coming weeks; if it were to follow the 2014 film's multiplier, its domestic run would close around $105.5 million; its performance isn't a disaster once overseas numbers are taken into consideration, but it's certainly also not what I'm imagining Warner Bros had in mind ahead of Godzilla vs. Kong.

Aladdin held up about as I expected it would. It could be in for another rough hold against Secret Life of Pets 2 and Dark Phoenix next weekend, but it's still racking up good money against its production costs and should reap the benefits of summer weekdays in the coming weeks. The $300 million mark should be a tough get on the domestic front, but it should at least be able to top $275 million or thereabouts.

Rocketman had a somewhat underwhelming debut. I know it didn't have nearly enough hype to come within spitting distance of Bohemian Rhapsody's breakout last November, but I still thought it would go higher than half of that film's opening weekend gross. Nevertheless, it could manage solid legs as a piece of adult-driven counter-programming, so the $100 million milestone will certainly be a challenge, but it's not entirely out of the question if the word-of-mouth is strong enough to keep business rolling.

Ma did okay. I think it would have done better in a less crowded spot, but it's still set to be an immensely profitable venture for Universal with such a low budget.

Most of the holds for other returning films were pretty rough, as to be expected after a holiday weekend and with several new releases that each looked like they had larger potential than their opening grosses indicated hitting the market. I'm especially sad to see that Booksmart lost more than half of last weekend's audience.

16 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Bottom lines:

Big success for Aladdin.  Mojo says Aladdin actually beat Godzilla on Sunday. That's just crazy.

Disappointment for Godzilla. Is Warner's basically sitting out the rest of the summer until It 2 in early September? Is Shaft a WB release? This was supposed to be a major tent pole and it just isn't.

Decent for Ma and Rocketman

... and John Wick 3 did well, with its budget every dollar made this weekend was going to the various bottom lines. Big success. 

Actually, Aladdin won both Saturday and Sunday.

Estimates are:

Sat - Aladdin 17.304M to Zilla 16.300

Sun Aladdin 13.124M to Zilla 13.04 (I expect Zilla's Sunday number will drop by at least 1.5M as their estimate is completely unrealistic)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, doublejack said:

I checked out on the MI movies when the helicopter flew in the tunnel, crashed, and the rotor stopped spinning just millimeters from Tom Cruise's face. The action is so over the top it makes me laugh, which I'm sure is not the intended effect. I like good action sequences, like stuff in Indiana Jones or James Bond films. MI jumps the shark on it.

Wow... takes all kinds I guess. Action doesn’t come any better than MI and I can’t think of a single Bond film that’s better than an MI film. The last movie was arguably the greatest action film ever made, and many critics agreed.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Godzilla had an underwhelming opening, but I'm not surprised in light of the muted excitement for it outside of the core fan base. The divisive reaction to the first film and release gap between these two films didn't help, and I think the marketing also peaked too early with the cool first trailer that debuted late last summer. Legs are unlikely to be strong with several high-profile June releases battling for screen space in the coming weeks; if it were to follow the 2014 film's multiplier, its domestic run would close around $105.5 million; its performance isn't a disaster once overseas numbers are taken into consideration, but it's certainly also not what I'm imagining Warner Bros had in mind ahead of Godzilla vs. Kong.

What do you expect the worldwide box office to be?

Edited by Hokkaido MUTO