sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

35 minutes ago, TMP said:

Fallout?

Limiting the list to movie that made more money and released after Godzilla

Force Awaken/Last Jedi/Interstellar were quite something has well craft wise. But yeah Godzilla is up there imo, absolutely beautiful (lot of Rogue One wasn't bad either in that regard).

Edited by Barnack

Just now, HeadShot said:

END GAME numbaz plz

if you are asking for thursday number, there is a separate thread. Disney is quite slow to release dailies. So you will have to wait for another hour or 2.

Weekend we have to wait until night unless @RtheEnd stops by later this evening. But It wont be in the Top 5 and so not sure we will get a number. Late night update from Deadline is the best bet.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Don't spread the wrong narrative. Both Godzilla 14 and rogue one needed big time fixing. And in both cases Tony Gilroy was brought. The awesome climax/3rd act you saw in both movies was due to Gilroy. In Rogue one even parts of first and second act were completely reshot.

Yeah, there’s a reason Edwards doesn’t seem

to have any projects lined up 

9 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

it does but it may not in a specific instance depending on what is being talked about. replace it with technical/visual craft, whatever. all those things you name are precisely why I didn't like it in the end but it was still a better movie to simply watch than most tentpoles released since. (Yeah TMP I'd include Fallout, which is fine but the thrill comes more from the stunts themselves than stuff like composition or camerawork).

I need far more than that to enjoying watching a film for two hours.   A few minutes of that is great but at 2 hours it's a mostly empty bludgeoning chore - akin to trying to have a conversation with a beautiful but truly stupid and dull person.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Don't spread the wrong narrative. Both Godzilla 14 and rogue one needed big time fixing. And in both cases Tony Gilroy was brought. The awesome climax/3rd act you saw in both movies was due to Gilroy. In Rogue one even parts of first and second act were completely reshot.

Tony Gilroy was brought in to do crappy fanservice to keep fans happy. Gareth Edwards would have likely given a film closer to The Last Jedi. You can't really call the set-up terrible (the 1st and 2nd acts) if the pay-off (3rd act) was completely cut out and replaced.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I'm surprised Rocketman has a slightly lower budget than Bohemian Rhapsody considering it has bigger names and also it has more elaborate sequences. 

BR's budget could've been slightly inflated due to them needing to replace Bryan Singer.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I love the way cinematic craft supposedly doesn't include storytelling, writing, acting or pacing. 

It had an auteur touch... here where i live and where we arent(at least back then) so influenced by pre hype(more of a jaded wom kinda cinema country) noone disliked godzilla, but noone said its a masterpiece... it was a nice introduction into a world where godzilla can be vulnerable.. and it looked gorgeous.. i seriously didnt expect aaron taylor johnson to be important..i care for decent storytelling as well, but in some instances, like giant monster movies like jw it isnt needed as much, tho if it elevates the material all the better(even meg -dont kill me:'( )... there are exceptions where the bar is set so low even 3 t rex vs kong or giant robots or even a vulcano dino horror house cant save the convulsion.. i am just hoping godzilla has enough in it to not be overwhelming with action and with just enough of a crescendo to keep one upping itself... i dont know how hard humans have to f up for me to not like it the same or even more than g2014.. then there are other kind of exceptions like jaws or jurrasic park.. perfect popcorn movies that elevated everything in cinema

TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Typos
  • Like 1

Just now, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

BR's budget could've been slightly inflated due to them needing to replace Bryan Singer.

That and there were reportedly times he didn't show up to set or showed up late - everyone standing around and waiting still get paid along with all the other attendant costs.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Maximum Avery said:

It had an auteur touch... here where i live and where we arent(at least back then) so influenced by pre hype(more of a jaded wom kinda cinema country) noone disliked godzilla, but noone said its a masterpiece... it was a nice introduction into a world where godzilla can be vulnerable.. and it looked gorgeous.. i seriously didnt expect aaron taylor johnson to be important..i care for decent storytelling as well, but in some instances, like giant monster movies like jw it isnt needed as much, tho if it elevates the material all the better(even meg -dont kill me:'( )... there are exceptions where the bar is set so low even 3 t rex vs kong or giant robots or even a vulcano dino horror house cant save the convulsion.. i am just hoping godzilla has enough in it to not be overwhelming with action and with just enough of a crescendo to keep one upping itself... i dont know how hard humans have to f up for me to not like it the same or even more than g2014.. then there are other kind of exceptions like jaws or jurrasic park.. perfect popcorn movies that elevated everything in cinema

TTVOMJ

host4.gif?w=640

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I need far more than that to enjoying watching a film for two hours.   A few minutes of that is great but at 2 hours it's a mostly empty bludgeoning chore - akin to trying to have a conversation with a beautiful but truly stupid and dull person.

Fair analogy... but g2014 didnt have that?  I am worried kotm might end up being that, but based on critics and word of mouth action is where it does deliver...Also... watching a movie once can be enjoyable(6-7/10 grade) even if it doesnt have much replay value(BvS, man of steel, endgame(last scene yeah yeah), potc:worlds end, even inception(dont kill me its a masterpiece, but i can only rewatch it if i am watching it with someone who hasnt seen it so i can discover it all over again thru their eyes, simmilar to how and why all of these movies i counted still have value). that has to be weighed in as well.. ofc grade rises with rising replay value, but you cant tell me memento isnt a 9-10/10 just because its un rewatchable without masochistic tendencies xD taste and translating it to other people needs careful nuanced approach and message boards can easily lose translation.. just look at how all of you react when reading this hehe ... jk :)

TTVOMJ

• Like 1