sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

TBF that's basically the same as last year until Ocean's 8, CRA and The Meg. 

Too bad their only remaining releases this summer are Shaft, Annabelle Comes Home, The Kitchen, and Blinded by the Light. At least they have IT 2 and Joker in the fall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

From 2018, the #17 opening weekend was original, the top 16 all non original. Same goes for 2017 too actually.

I don't like the "original" concept...I like the "premier" concept...it tends to be more on point to "not done in theatrically released movies before", which is what folks find "new"...and new tends to keep them from feeling like cinema gets same old, same old...like Dora is gonna be "premier" in my mind in August, but it sure as heck isn't "original"...

2 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

That's a really good weekend multiplier. I saw the movie yesterday and heard nothing but good things on the way out. Think Egerton's performance (and he really is terrific in the movie) alone is gonna lead to strong WOM.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That's a really good weekend multiplier. I saw the movie yesterday and heard nothing but good things on the way out. Think Egerton's performance (and he really is terrific in the movie) alone is gonna lead to strong WOM.

I do think it’s unfortunate it came after Bohemian Rhapsody as it’s a much better movie. It’ll likely make a nice profit for Paramount given the $40m budget 

• Like 2

Just now, Jonwo said:

I do think it’s unfortunate it came after Bohemian Rhapsody as it’s a much better movie. It’ll likely make a nice profit for Paramount given the $40m budget 

tbh I think they wanted it to open in time for Pride Month (which is all of June) so that might also contribute to potential solid holds in the weeks ahead.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Yeah Aladdin was sold out for my showing on Saturday.

Perfect family movie for summer. Canada loves themselves some Disney lol

not Only in Canada ... Almost Each &  Every Country Aladdin Leading By A Fair Margin .. in Spain Movie Running Riot ..

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Too bad their only remaining releases this summer are Shaft, Annabelle Comes Home, The Kitchen, and Blinded by the Light. At least they have IT 2 and Joker in the fall.

they should give a limited re-release to Shazam and Pikachu over the Holidays if they don't have anything else. Both are family friendly.

Why don't studios do that...Does it get too costly?

Just now, a2k said:

they should give a limited re-release to Shazam and Pikachu over the Holidays if they don't have anything else. Both are family friendly.

Why don't studios do that...Does it get too costly?

there are distribution and marketing costs with releasing any film. In order for people to go and watch a Pikachu release, they have to know it's playing, so WB has to spend millions of dollars on marketing. Is it going to be worth it, given the film wasn't very successful when it was initially released at the peak of awareness?

Last year Deadpool 2 did exactly that and it made $6 million.

Consider that AVATAR had a limited re-release 8 months after release, same sort of time frame. That was the biggest film ever and the re-release grossed $10 million.

So Pikachu, probably not going to be worth it. Deadpool was only a success because it meant they could have a China release.

Shazam did 362 million with 100 million budget 

detective Pikachu will finish with 420-422 million with 150 million budget 

these aren’t huge loses. May break even with all the other shit added in post theatricals. Like streaming fees, blu ray sales and merch 

Godzilla though you 185-200 million dollar budget that might do 375 million 

its gonna be a big loss 

IT 2 will be huge and joker will be safe with its medium budget 

9 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Shazam did 362 million with 100 million budget 

detective Pikachu will finish with 420-422 million with 150 million budget 

these aren’t huge loses. May break even with all the other shit added in post theatricals. Like streaming fees, blu ray sales and merch 

Godzilla though you 185-200 million dollar budget that might do 375 million 

its gonna be a big loss 

IT 2 will be huge and joker will be safe with its medium budget 

Shazam certainly made money. Pikachu definitely broke even. 2.5x the budget is the magic number really

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $815,501,784    30.0%
Foreign:  $1,898,410,253    70.0%

Worldwide:  $2,713,912,037  

OS went up 0.8m in actual for EG, weekend number is 8.84m

If OS actual went up by 0.8M, shouldn't the weekend number be 9.4M ? (up 0.8m from estimate)

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $815,501,784    30.0%
Foreign:  $1,898,410,253    70.0%

Worldwide:  $2,713,912,037  

OS went up 0.8m in actual for EG, weekend number is 8.84m

That final $74.1M is the toughest to earn. Perhaps we should Old Yeller it before any more disappointment sets in.

• Haha 2