sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I know It 2 and Joker are being touted as WB's big bankers for the year but I think we might get a surprise hit with Doctor Sleep, the fact it was moved up from January 2020 is a sign of confidence but we'll need to see a trailer before we can make a full judgement. The only thing WB might find a challenge is should they market as a sequel to Stephen King's The Shining or Stanley Kubrick's The Shining? 

Isn't it very much an adaptation of the book not a sequel to Kubrick's film? It really can't be both. Can't market it as a sequel to the movie if so. Definitely don't know how you market it as a sequel to the book not movie, that's a mess. They're best letting it stand on its own merits in marketing and keeping Shining reference to a minimum. 

Edited by MovieMan89

35 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Exactly. Like I said, investors and analysts care more about the TV, Parks, and Direct-to-Consumer divisions. They don't care much about the film division.

Its not about caring. it makes small difference to bottom line. Revenue you get from Disney+ on the other hand is consistent especially if and when they hit 100m+ subscribers. One off event rarely have huge impact to stock price.

Look at Q2 fiscal earnings reported last month, Revenue overall was $14.922B, off which studio revenue was 2.134B. This is not just box office but across all the platforms( HV, Streaming, TV etc). So for Q2 even if it goes up to 3B its tiny part of overall earnings.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/walt-disney-co-2nd-quarter-earnings-report-shows-small-gain-in-revenue-over-last-year/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Barnack said:

I mean why are you saying the stock is up due to End Game (considering the stock is lower after than before End Game release), I am not sure when the stock was acquired change to the question (the question would be the same if you never bought it)

Movies do not tend to make stock move for giant conglomerate.

You missed one important point. In stock market the performance of a stock must be viewed in the context of overall market - market over-performer, performer, or underpeformer. US stocks market has dropped a lot in past one month since the renewal of trade war worry.

Take 24 April (release date of Endgame) and compared with 3rd June:

• Disney dropped from 135.1 to 132.5, slightly below 2% drop
  • S & P dropped from 292.2 to 274.6, a 6.4% drop
  • Dow Jones dropped from 26597 to 24819, a 7.2% drop

Clearly Disney has out-performed the market. Yes, there is a 2% paper loss, but a market out-performer will recover faster when the overall market recovered (and as Warren Buffet has said, US markets always recover).

The original poster said

5 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

And my Disney Stock is up cause of Disney+/The Merger/AEG. My point still stands. 

She put in a combination of factors, not singling out one particular factor, Endgame being the last one.

Endgame may and may not be a reason Disney stock price outperforms, but I would think that analysts take its amazing BO run into account, a small but significant contribution to Disney's earning. (It has been estimated that Endgame brings Disney net profit of around 700M USD).

Edited by justvision
He --> She
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

wonder woman men are fools GIF

Got to admit, this is why I've switched to 'singular they' when I'm referencing folks who I don't know the (preferred) gender (pronoun) for. 

It's been a struggle to stop using the 'generic he', but I think it's been worth it overall. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

Just now, nguyenkhoi282 said:

No daily updates until June 10th. Charlie is having exams

Yup. Our young Indian student friend which har acces to early American BO numbers are taking some time of.....

The actual weekend number for Zilla was a little better than I expected based on the estimates. 

I was thinking a 30% drop on Sunday, but the 25% hold was definitely better. Though that is offset somewhat by the fact that all the movies had better Sunday holds than estimated. 

Will be interesting to see what the drop is next weekend. Is it closer to 60% or closer to 65%. That could mean the difference between a 105 and a 110 DOM total.

I think Aladdin is going to have a really big Tuesday jumps. Most of the showings around me for Tuesday are already nearing sellouts.

Ultimately Zilla only won Friday. Aladdin's Thursday number is bigger than Zilla's previews.

Zilla wins Fri by about 1.3M

Aladdin wins Saturday by 1.1M and Sunday by 1.6M.

I see Aladdin finishing third next weekend. SLOP2 will hit it a little keeping it from having an amazing hold and even if it does poorly DP should still be able to open higher than Aladdin in week 3. Though if it does underperform and has weak WOM than Aladdin could be in front of it in weekend #4.

DP should at least be in the 30's somewhere. I'm thinking about 23-24M for Aladdin.

With us in summer season now Monday drops should start being more muted and Tuesday increases won't be as high either.

I'm thinking aladdin passes 200M on Wednesday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

As a he, I am deeply insulted with the hephobia going on here. Even though it is completely true and warranted. :ph34r:

Poor helium, everyone is always picking on it because it won't play nice with anyone. It in fact won't play with anyone, ever, being inert and all.

• Haha 2

On 6/2/2019 at 11:42 AM, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Glad to see a decentish hold for Booksmart - best movie I've seen in theatres this year.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned so far, but Captain Marvel just went over Shrek adjusted. I can barely get my head around that. Amazing run.

Aladdin looks set for a cracking run, what are we looking at WW finish with this hold?

Still below Shrek in attendance due to 3D prices. :ph34r:

On 6/2/2019 at 4:15 PM, JonathanLB said:

Wow... takes all kinds I guess. Action doesn’t come any better than MI and I can’t think of a single Bond film that’s better than an MI film. The last movie was arguably the greatest action film ever made, and many critics agreed.

MI is rareified air when it comes to action movies. I found the tower climbing scene in Ghost Protocol (in IMAX) to be the most physiologically intense action sequence I've ever seen. I nearly had a panic attack because the screen filled my whole vision and my reptile brain was screaming to hold on for dear life. And each movie has gotten better than the previous (save for MI:2 maybe, which had its own guilty pleasures). Fury Road is the only action movie that's come close (and done better, in some ways) to the MI series in the past few years.