Ezen Baklattan

CAYOM Y6 - Official Discussion Thread

So something I wanted to share as I published Sp4rk tonight.

Spoiler

So we've arrived at the end of Spark.

That's a sentence I didn't think I would ever type.

The idea for this movie first came to me when I was in Elementary school. It was something silly, but I didn't know what to make of it. I just thought it would be fun to have that story, pretending it was a movie. Of course, it was completely different. All the characters were furries. The Earth blew up in the first ten minutes. Things didn't look good. At one point, Alex Spark went from dog boy to straight white male in middle school.

It was silly, but I felt like the characters were mine. 

I started playing CAYOM around when I was 13. I was an absolute asshole - I reviewed films without reading them! But that's not the point. It wasn't til I played for a few years that I decided to try adapting Spark for CAYOM.

My first iteration of Spark, written in September 2010, was...decent. It's nowhere near the quality of the original and got solid reviews at best, but it was a hit. Back then, it was a simple animated movie, very much kid focused. It also was a bit too influenced by Scott Pilgrim, which to this day I'm kinda embarrassed about. BOM imploded before I wanted to do a sequel, but even then I couldn't get a good idea. (This would be a trend)

Of course, every version improved over the last, but in a way, this series felt like it guided me in creativity through my entire childhood. Each version feels like a time capsule, influenced by the films and stories I knew at the time, while helping me look back and see how much I've grown. I made a sequel to Spark in 2.0, but never got to see the story to the end.

Tonight, I've published the final chapter of this iteration, and I firmly believe that the story may not get better than this. I say that now...

What I'm getting at is...this story had been *the* passion project of mine for over a decade. I loved the idea of space opera becoming big in Hollywood again, of seeing all kinds of aliens and opening the door to a universe of wonder and possibility. It's bittersweet, accordingly, to say goodbye to what may have kickstarted my creative journey.

Either way, I couldn't be prouder of how the final film turned out, and I thank you all so much for joining me on this incredible journey. The reception and warmth this game has given me has been something I deeply appreciate, and I still feel overjoyed with the love you gave this saga.

To quote one of the final lines in Homeward:  I have journeyed across the stars and done things I could only dream of.

Thank you all for joining me on this epic journey, and I hope you all enjoy the final chapter.

• Like 9

No one's written a Tarantino movie in this version of CAYOM yet, so I'm planning on getting around to that this year.

Even if it's not necessarily directed by Tarantino.

;)

Edited by Alpha
  • Astonished 3

13 minutes ago, Slambros said:

I think I'd like your thoughts about it; what you think about it and any changes you think would benefit the story.

Two things immediately stood out as I finished it.

Point one:

Spoiler

Probably not have the main character be fifteen given how the movie ends. I don't think it'd hurt to bump her age to like eighteen or nineteen at least.

Point two: I know we'd all rather not squabble about runtimes and how many digits are needed, but I'd say this is a case in the opposite direction - two hours and 11 minutes is excessive for a movie that doesn't have that much going on. Like the movie could've easily been 90 to 100 minutes and you wouldn't lose a thing.

Edited by cookie
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cookie said:

Two things immediately stood out as I finished it.

Point one:

Reveal hidden contents

Point two: I know we'd all rather not squabble about runtimes and how many digits are needed, but I'd say this is a case in the opposite direction - two hours and 11 minutes is excessive for a movie that doesn't have that much going on. Like the movie could've easily been 90 to 100 minutes and you wouldn't lose a thing.

Thank you man! I'll be addressing those for sure! Point one is... definitely something I should change.

For the record (and this kind of addressed to everyone), I'm going out of town to a place where there's no internet connection, so I'll away from the forum a lot of the time.