Ezen Baklattan

CAYOM Y6 - Official Discussion Thread

26 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

I think I found @Spaghetti influence for the epsilon 2 villain 

Spoiler

Expect some very, VERY dark comedy with his role.

Spoiler

One of Pedderton's puppets has shards of glass as teeth, and he kills someone by smothering and impaling their neck with the puppet's teeth.

1 hour ago, Spaghetti said:

Reveal hidden contents

Good, good. That sounds brutal.

I just need to get something off my chest:

Spoiler

Just to clarify, I’m not folding on my Y6 slate as I still feel good enough to write. 

Today wasn’t a great day for me. I have been dealing with and I think experiencing the signs of depression for a while now and for the first time in a while I broke down into tears. Tomorrow I plan on contacting my therapist so I can get some help. Again I don’t want to air my dirty laundry, I just want to get some things off of my mind. I promise y’all my Y6 films are still coming.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Reveal hidden contents

I get it man. Getting better may take time but it is great in the long run

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Hide contents

Just to clarify, I’m not folding on my Y6 slate as I still feel good enough to write. 

Today wasn’t a great day for me. I have been dealing with and I think experiencing the signs of depression for a while now and for the first time in a while I broke down into tears. Tomorrow I plan on contacting my therapist so I can get some help. Again I don’t want to air my dirty laundry, I just want to get some things off of my mind. I promise y’all my Y6 films are still coming.

I've been there before as well, and my thoughts and prayers are with you. Don't be afraid to take care of yourself if you need to!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Reveal hidden contents

Hang in there, buddy. I've certainly had days like the one you've described. Good on you for getting help from a therapist.

• Like 2

So I've done some research for my film In The Aeroplane Over the Sea, and I need to be upfront about the film's potential to be something that is extremely controversial--almost to the point where I'm not sure if I should be writing it in the first place. I'm not sure if everyone knows or is familiar with the story behind the Neutral Milk Hotel album of the same name, but the lyrics and the story behind them are about the... *gulps* ...the relationship between the songwriter and the historical figure Anne Frank. The songwriter was greatly affected as a reader of The Diary of Anne Frank, to the point where he began to have lucid dreams of Anne Frank where he was trying to save her from her fate. Through cursory glances at essays and articles about the album and its lyrics, I now understand that the songwriter's obsession with Anne Frank escalated over time into something much more intense and perverse than I could have possibly imagined. I knew that this would be a fascinating story to cover for a film after watching surface-level video essays, but I was not prepared for the story to be something that was capable of crossing some really serious lines.

I wanted to take this opportunity to ask everyone if it's okay if I write something that could potentially ruffle some feathers (including my own). The last thing I want to do is offend anyone. I know that there's been mature content in the stories of this game before (By The Balls and the Poison & Wine series are works that come to mind as some deservedly R-rated projects). But the story that I'm dealing with, if I choose not to tone it down, exists somewhere between the spectrum of people writing think-pieces and people walking out of its screening at the Cannes Film Festival. Of course, the album's lyrics are also on this spectrum, and the album's managed to draw much more academic/scholarly analysis than it did controversy, especially over two decades' time, but there's something about film as a medium that manages to draw controversy against a work of art more often than other mediums in this day and age, at least from my experience.

Even if these words prove to have been unwarranted, I still think that it's better to be upfront about content when no one has an issue with it, than to release the film without any warnings and have a lot of people raising cane over its subject matter.

So my question is this: even if I tackle this film with the purpose of having said something meaningful, as the source material does... should I even be writing this at all? In other words, is this project an acceptable addition to the CAYOM-verse? I have no problem writing something else instead if this is not an acceptable project.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slambros said:

So I've done some research for my film In The Aeroplane Over the Sea, and I need to be upfront about the film's potential to be something that is extremely controversial--almost to the point where I'm not sure if I should be writing it in the first place. I'm not sure if everyone knows or is familiar with the story behind the Neutral Milk Hotel album of the same name, but the lyrics and the story behind them are about the... *gulps* ...the relationship between the songwriter and the historical figure Anne Frank. The songwriter was greatly affected as a reader of The Diary of Anne Frank, to the point where he began to have lucid dreams of Anne Frank where he was trying to save her from her fate. Through cursory glances at essays and articles about the album and its lyrics, I now understand that the songwriter's obsession with Anne Frank escalated over time into something much more intense and perverse than I could have possibly imagined. I knew that this would be a fascinating story to cover for a film after watching surface-level video essays, but I was not prepared for the story to be something that was capable of crossing some really serious lines.

I wanted to take this opportunity to ask everyone if it's okay if I write something that could potentially ruffle some feathers (including my own). The last thing I want to do is offend anyone. I know that there's been mature content in the stories of this game before (By The Balls and the Poison & Wine series are works that come to mind as some deservedly R-rated projects). But the story that I'm dealing with, if I choose not to tone it down, exists somewhere between the spectrum of people writing think-pieces and people walking out of its screening at the Cannes Film Festival. Of course, the album's lyrics are also on this spectrum, and the album's managed to draw much more academic/scholarly analysis than it did controversy, especially over two decades' time, but there's something about film as a medium that manages to draw controversy against a work of art more often than other mediums in this day and age, at least from my experience.

Even if these words prove to have been unwarranted, I still think that it's better to be upfront about content when no one has an issue with it, than to release the film without any warnings and have a lot of people raising cane over its subject matter.

So my question is this: even if I tackle this film with the purpose of having said something meaningful, as the source material does... should I even be writing this at all? In other words, is this project an acceptable addition to the CAYOM-verse? I have no problem writing something else instead if this is not an acceptable project.

Art that crosses some boundaries for the purpose of art is not in itself a bad thing. I think acknowledging it up front helps more than it hurts.

I mean it takes a certain knowledge and delicacy in order to handle it tastefully, but it can be done.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, cookie said:

Art that crosses some boundaries for the purpose of art is not in itself a bad thing. I think acknowledging it up front helps more than it hurts.

I mean it takes a certain knowledge and delicacy in order to handle it tastefully, but it can be done.

I agree with all of this. In the past, I've read a lot of Christian blogs discussing content in works of art, and they all say that there's stark differences between depiction of sin and glorification of sin, and I've felt comfortable writing stuff like language into my works because I know that artful depictions aren't wrong. The Bible depicts sin in this same way, so why mustn't I, you know?

So if I do write the film, it'll probably come down to how I write it instead of what I write. I'll definitely approach the subject matter with delicacy. But thank you for affirming my decision to acknowledge this beforehand because I do think it would've been a bad idea to simply post the summary without providing any explanation!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slambros said:

I kinda have a similar issue with Hellsing. For those who don't know it deals with some supernatural themes and Catholics vs Prodestents ( I know I misspelled it ) and the series is known to get very BLOODY. However it  it has a theme I enjoy seeing in horror films: what it means to be human seen in films like the fly (1986) and American werewolf in London. How do I show that in an violent action- horror film like this?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

I kinda have a similar issue with Hellsing. For those who don't know it deals with some supernatural themes and Catholics vs Prodestents ( I know I misspelled it ) and the series is known to get very BLOODY. However it  it has a theme I enjoy seeing in horror films: what it means to be human seen in films like the fly (1986) and American werewolf in London. How do I show that in an violent action- horror film like this?

The best body horror films, and the best horror stories in general, are less about the horror and more about the characters who are experiencing the story. So you should consider your characters and understand how they thematically relate to the horrors that are in the story. As an audience, we must understand why the characters are scared of the horror.

Furthermore, The Fly is not known solely for the transformation story, but also for the portrait of love over time between the scientist and his love interest. What happens to the scientist is running parallel with their relationship.

The Catholics vs. Protestants theme is very important from a historical point of view, and it's also fairly relevant to today's culture, so I'm really excited to see how you tackle it as someone who's never read or seen Hellsing before!

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I can agree with a comparison to BtB seeing how tonally different this would be

as for your film, it sounds interesting and i see no problems at the moment with you writing but... i'm confused why John Carney, the guy who makes light music dramas, would even remotely appropriate for the project lol

• Like 1

Voltron's not happening. I'm pulling the plug on the series and moving on to things I hopefully will feel more motivated on. Sorry, everyone.

@Xillix please remove 3 from the schedule, thanks.

Spoiler

FTR I'm better now than I was earlier this month - it's been up and down, but on the up on average - in case anyone worries about me. However, I've mentioned before about how much it weighted me down and I've thought about what I should do with it for a few weeks now. I didn't want to force out a bad product, especially if I fell into another funk, but I didn't want to push it back another year and have it risk bogging down things I actually want to write like it's done in previous years, so I felt it was best to drop it.

Again, sorry for letting everyone down. Hopefully things continue to improve and I can take whatever ideas and concepts I had and apply them elsewhere, so it'll at least live on in spirit.

(I was going to make this announcement a couple of days ago but then I saw YM's post and didn't want to be the bearer of even more bad news. Sorry man, hope it's working out for you)

Edited by cookie
  • Like 6
  • Sad 2