efialtes76

Tuesday Numbers:Big increases...

I predict avatar 2 legs won't even reach much higher than 4x. Will be curious to see if I am right. Heck I will be shocked to see any movie with 150+ OW reaches 4x this year. Ts4and lion King won't do it nor will star wars imo.

Regarding Aladdins Tuesday number, just looking at comparables, and Aladdins second Tuesday beat Solos first Tuesday from last year. 

In fact, in terms of Memorial weekend Debuts, only DOFP and F&F6 had better first Tuesdays than Aladdins second. 

• Like 2

Endgame performed like most finales of a saga, like DH2, it was heavily frontloaded but no one can say a $357M/$835M-$840M DOM Gross is disappointing.

• Like 5

1 The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Universal) $54.0 M $54.0 M NEW 1
2 Dark Phoenix (Disney / Fox) $41.0 M $41.0 M NEW 1
3 Aladdin (Disney) $25.5 M $232.7 M -40% 3
4 Godzilla: King of the Monsters
(Warner / Legendary)
$17.5 M $80.8 M -63% 2
5 Rocketman (Paramount) $15.0 M $51.3 M -42% 2
6 MA (Universal) $8.3 M $33.5 M -54% 2
7 John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
(Lionsgate / Summit)
$5.7 M $136.7 M -49% 4
8 Avengers: Endgame (Disney) $4.2 M $823.5 M -48% 7
9 Pokémon Detective Pikachu
(Warner / Legendary)
$3.7 M $138.0 M -47% 5
10 Bharat (Viva Pictures) $2.4 M $3.3 M NEW 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Once again, we run into the situation where people set themselves up for disappointment based on expectations. In Endgame’s case, I certainly understood the over predictions more than usual. I mean, the movie exceeded every lofty expectation from the moment tickets went on sale. There is nothing disappointing about its numbers. From what I gather, the disappointment is with Endgame not breaking TFA’s record and probably not Avatar’s record either. But make no mistake, Disney is over the moon with this juggernaut’s performance. It will gross more than certain studios do in a single year. Let’s celebrate the movie as much as we can, because what we witnessed was breath taking, exhilarating and just flat out crazy. 

• Like 7

Assuming End Game doesn't get a boost somewhere to push it over, there's actually a certain level of accomplishment in the MCU becoming the biggest grossing franchise by all key metrics (gross, adjusted and worldwide), but never having an individual film own either the domestic or worldwide records. 

Their success has always been their volume. 

I was the only person who said expect unusual Tuesday increase and People didn't believe me and say no increase will happen. Expect an unusual Wednesday increase and on Thursday it will go back to normal

The numbers will be boosted.

It might not be over exaggerated rise but it will boost the Box office significantly

I originally thought also that Thursday will see an increase but it will not just Tuesday and Wednesday and if it has an increase on Thursday it's gonna be very tiny increase

Edited by Geo1500

4 hours ago, LonePirate said:

The smart-ass comment aside, five of the seven films you listed are animated films with TI2 making that number six. If you were a betting man, would you place money on Disney expanding an animated film that weekend or a live action film? Also, why do you place more weight on what happened seven years ago than what has happened last year or in five of the last six years? Also, if Disney only expanded it biggest titles over Labor Day, why didn't IW receive an expansion last year? And if you come back to say Disney expands films to cross a certain box office threshold, what is there for Endgame to cross? It has maybe $40M left globally which is still about $30M away from Avatar. No Labor Day expansion is going to make up that distance.

If I were teaching a logic class, you would fail it with the arguments you presented above.

Also, if you didn't act all high and mighty, you wouldn't get a smart-ass comment. 

This is a box office forum. People are merely discussing the *very* real possibility of Disney expanding Endgame if it gets close to the record. To tell anyone that they are wrong to discuss such a topic, on a box office forum none the less, is pretty illogical (if you want to speak of logic).
To act as if you know for a fact how a giant corporation such as Disney is going act over anyone else on this forum is pretty egotistical of you. 

Maybe just let people discuss box office, their predictions and different scenarios that films might take. 

That is the purpose of this forum after all. 

Peace,

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

People are merely discussing the *very* real possibility of Disney expanding Endgame if it gets close to the record.

Endgame will not come within $30M of the record. Heck, it might not even come within $40M if domestic and international continue dropping like a rock just as they have done for the past two or three weekends. In what universe is $30M-$40M close? You predicate the expansion upon the condition of it being close so take a wild guess what will not happen because it will not be close. Expecting an expansion is no different than expecting a visit from the Easter Bunny. As such. any talk of an expansion warrants mockery because it is not based on reality.

18 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

In what universe is $30M-$40M close?

The Avatar Special Edition Made 33.2m, I would imagine canon being so important to the MCU that they will not do that for EndGame too.

7 hours ago, LonePirate said:

In what universe is $30M-$40M close? 

I'm not saying it'll over-take Avatar but 40mil is well under 2%. Generally a significant difference is considered as being over 5% off, which would be about a 135mil~

The only reason Disney could have for re-releasing and pushing EG by any means is to have a film of their full own being the #1 WW and advertise it so. Avatar, in the end, is not a Disney movie, though they have now the distribution rights. 

My guess is if Disney pushes EG over Avatar and manages it, then Disney wouldn't re-release A1 before A2 to increase A1 gross and retake #1 from EG. They would make double features with A2, but the whole gross would be added to A2 (the actual Disney movie) instead of splitting it into the two. 

Then, if A2 takes crown from EG, then it's a win-win for Disney reputation, since both are Disney branded movies. A1 is not. So I can see Disney pushing EG over A1 and not doing anything with A1 in 2021. 

• Like 2