Jump to content
Avatree

**SPOILER** *SPOILER* Dark Phoenix SPOILER thread ****SPOILER*****

Recommended Posts

So i'm not the most knowledgeable in X-Men lore. But whats the deal with the Phoenix force. So we know from Apocalypse that Jean already has the Phoenix force in her.

What was the thing that went into Jean in this movie? Was it supposed to be Dark Phoenix? Are they 2 different entities? Or did they just retcon apocalypse and she just now got the Phoenix force. And if so, why is it inherently a bad/hostile thing.

From my understanding Dark Phoenix is the Phoenix force that has been twisted somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Essem said:

So i'm not the most knowledgeable in X-Men lore. But whats the deal with the Phoenix force. So we know from Apocalypse that Jean already has the Phoenix force in her.

What was the thing that went into Jean in this movie? Was it supposed to be Dark Phoenix? Are they 2 different entities? Or did they just retcon apocalypse and she just now got the Phoenix force. And if so, why is it inherently a bad/hostile thing.

From my understanding Dark Phoenix is the Phoenix force that has been twisted somehow.

 

The "Phoenix" in Apocalypse is more like a "nod" to what Jean will become in the future. She already has a huge power on the inside.  The stuff that happens to her in this last movie is what triggers her power on the inside and pushes her to the limit, I guess.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm guessing Kinberg won't be getting any directing gigs anytime soon. 

 

 

Like Guy Ritchie from King Arthur to Aladdin before him, Kinberg already has his next gig lined up. Unless they pull the plug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Like Guy Ritchie from King Arthur to Aladdin before him, Kinberg already has his next gig lined up. Unless they pull the plug.

Hopefully it's a lower budget film. I can't believe Fox gave Kinberg a big budget film as his directorial debut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinberg can keep directing movies. However, he can't write to save his life. He needs a writer.

 

Writing is the main problem with Dark Phoenix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was bad but not as awful as I expected.

 

I really liked the way they killed Raven in the most uneventful way someone could've imagined. 

 

Other than that it's just another wasted opportunity for a great X-Men movie, but they don't seem to care about the characters anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

Heres where the Marvel Studios fanatics, which includes reviewers, can suck.

 

I just saw it, and it was nowhere near as bad as the fanatics are claiming. Chastain (and the black guy 😂) is a great villain, and they did an awesome job of showing just how powerful Phoenix Force Jean is. The other X-Men, including Xavier and Magneto, were insects to her.

 

You see, the Marvel Studios fanatics are eager to shovel the last pile of dirt on the grave of FOX X-Men. Because it's now gonna be in the trusted hands, of the guys that had an unhelmeted Cap brush off a punch to the head, from a being that had just pummeled Hulk like a walk in the park 😂.

All reviewers are fanatics, audiences in china and SK who gave it one of the lowest ratings ever for a SH movie are fanatics. Those fans who went to watch it on opening day and then gave it one of the lowest score for a SH on cinemascore are fanatics. Millions of audiences who chose not to watch the film leading to horrible BO are also fanatics. 

 

Did I miss anyone?

8 hours ago, Essem said:

So i'm not the most knowledgeable in X-Men lore. But whats the deal with the Phoenix force. So we know from Apocalypse that Jean already has the Phoenix force in her.

What was the thing that went into Jean in this movie? Was it supposed to be Dark Phoenix? Are they 2 different entities? Or did they just retcon apocalypse and she just now got the Phoenix force. And if so, why is it inherently a bad/hostile thing.

From my understanding Dark Phoenix is the Phoenix force that has been twisted somehow.

 

8 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

 

The "Phoenix" in Apocalypse is more like a "nod" to what Jean will become in the future. She already has a huge power on the inside.  The stuff that happens to her in this last movie is what triggers her power on the inside and pushes her to the limit, I guess.

There is only one Phoenix force. It is not directly mentioned in Apocalypse but it is heavily implied that she already has the phoenix force inside her. I mean c’mon a literal phoenix is depicted when she unleashes her full power. 

 

So I do believe they retconned it in Dark Phoenix. After all, Xmen movies are known to not care for continuity/timelines. 

 

However the beginning scenes of the movies where they go to space and where Jean gets the Phoenix force is close to how it actually happened in the comic books. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I felt absolutely nothing during Mystique's death even though it was well-played by JLaw. That's pretty much this whole movie in a nutshell. Everybody was clearly going through the motions just for nice paychecks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Dunno how accurate it is but still an interesting read. Hopefully we'll get some BTS stuff from Hollywood Reporter or Variety

https://screenrant.com/dark-phoenix-movie-reshoot-changes-explained-fox-xmen/

Even that breakdown doesn't explain why most of these extensive re-shoots happened.  It was originally supposed to be released months before CM so why would any similarity bother them?   Most of those re-shoots had no similarity to CM and nothing to do with Kinsberg's original claim it was to make the VFX better.  Screenings are mentioned a lot but not that the the screenings reportedly didn't go well with the leaked main complaint it was boring.  Now that explains why there were re-shoots though some of the changes are still puzzling b/c they reduced instead of increased scale or action of a couple of major set pieces.  Though the last re-shot set piece is reportedly the best in the movie.

 

This is surprising - especially after the mess with F4 and Singer routinely going AWOL.  Didn't DP2 also have re-shoots? 

Quote

The key issue, though, was that this additional photography caused major scheduling conflicts for the cast. Kinberg recently admitted to The Hollywood Reporter that the X-Men films had never built reshoots into their budget and production schedule, which meant getting the cast back on set was something of a logistical nightmare.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to laugh at how Quicksilver gets taken out during the fight outside Jean's house and we don't see him for the rest of the movie outside of a throwaway quip at the end. Did they suddenly realize Evan Peters had other obligations (perhaps American Horror Story: What Season Are We On Now?) and were like "shit I guess we need to completely write the character out of the movie" halfway through? lmao.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I had to laugh at how Quicksilver gets taken out during the fight outside Jean's house and we don't see him for the rest of the movie outside of a throwaway quip at the end. Did they suddenly realize Evan Peters had other obligations (perhaps American Horror Story: What Season Are We On Now?) and were like "shit I guess we need to completely write the character out of the movie" halfway through? lmao.

that's what I assumed, that he couldn't make it to the reshoots, so he had a ton of scenes cut. I missed not having a good quicksilver scene :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Avatree said:

that's what I assumed, that he couldn't make it to the reshoots, so he had a ton of scenes cut. I missed not having a good quicksilver scene :(

I thought it might've been because they were too lazy to write around his powers/why he wouldn't be able to kill all the aliens quickly. 

 

Man those aliens were shit-tier villains. Vuk made Malekith and Steppenwolf look like masterful pieces of writing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The song that mutant was singing at the x-men teen party sounded like a song from 2018. There’s really no period detail in here at all. If someone had whipped out an iPhone at some point I’m sure nobody would have noticed or cared. They could have set this like three months after apocalypse not sure why it needed to be another ten years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

The song that mutant was singing at the x-men teen party sounded like a song from 2018. There’s really no period detail in here at all. If someone had whipped out an iPhone at some point I’m sure nobody would have noticed or cared. They could have set this like three months after apocalypse not sure why it needed to be another ten years.

The period stuff in the new films hasn't worked at all. Didn't realise it wasn't set in the present day until it says at the start. Thought Apocalypse & this from the trailers were set in present day. It's quite noticeable the lack of any kind of effort to make it seem period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people are being way too harsh.  It wasn't a great movie, but it's definitely not the worst in the X-Men franchise.  Not by a long shot.  Sophie Turner is really quite bad, but the main plot line is perfectly serviceable and the mutant-on-mutant action sequences are as good as we've seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m still in the theatre. There’s not many people here so I’m posting. This is hands down the worst superhero film I have ever seen. I wish I had a notebook with me to keep track of the plot holes and people doing things totally out of character. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was there an after credits scene? I assumed no and left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frozen said:

Was there an after credits scene? I assumed no and left. 

Correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.