efialtes76

Wednesday numbers:

1 hour ago, baumer said:

When posting this can you always tell us the source?  It avoids us getting false ones from guys like Noctis.

He had to be fast, you can't compete with sfran with embedding posts.  

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, jj99 said:

You rarely see Italy and Spain high up on International total lists. Nice

When they do though, that means the larger markets are not doing as good as they should in most cases. 

The more amazing numbers I see everyday for Aladdin, the more they "hurt". This could have flown waaaay higher with, let's say, july 2020 spot (the same treatment TLK is having this 2019). I understand Disney has Disney+ around the corner and they wanted as much content as possible for a big opening ... but ... just my opinion.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

The more amazing numbers I see everyday for Aladdin, the more they "hurt". This could have flown waaaay higher with, let's say, july 2020 spot (the same treatment TLK is having this 2019). I understand Disney has Disney+ around the corner and they wanted as much content as possible for a big opening ... but ... just my opinion.

Totally agree. As amazing as these numbers are this really should have been making BatB numbers if not more if it had more breathing room and better marketing. Really shows the power of the IP.

• Like 1

Go Aladdin! is over 300M locked now?

Agreed with @meriodejaneiro and @DisposedData It seems that Disney had no faith in this movie for some reason and this success is a surprise to them. The movie really took off with audience and rightly so and even more props for doing it without good support from the studio or even critical props. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

No way is it locked. But the better the holds, the better it looks.

I WOULD say that $280 million looks locked. $290 million looks really good. $300 million looks better and better.

If it can have weekend-to-weekend holds like DOFP, then $300 million becomes more likely. If it truly DOES make $25-$26 million this coming weekend and then stays somewhat steady with some smaller drops here and there ( a few sub-40% drops) then it has $300 million in the can.

Great hold for Aladdin.

These additional numbers are starting to make Zilla's Wednesday drop look worse in comparison. Had a smaller Tues rise and larger Wed drop than any of the other movies to report.

in a vacuum I would have said Zilla's Tues and Wed numbers look really good - but in relation to the other films I would say it looks poor.

50 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Godzilla sub or over 55% drop this weekend??

Over.

With the loss of IMAX and PLF it is going to tumble pretty hard. 

I'd say there is almost no chance of under 55%. I wouldn't be surprised at over 60%. That is a pretty typical Zilla drop for the 2nd weekend in the DOM market.

7 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

I'm not sure if it was the intention, but one benefit of getting Aladdin out this year is that with its success, it's well positioned to get a quick sequel. They should have little issue reassembling the cast and director. The story lends itself to continued adventures given the were a le to make two direct to video sequels to their original and a TV series. They can probably put together a stronger script and get something out by 2021 if they are motivated. 

• Like 1

Top-3 Memorial Day weekend openers are Indy 4 (317M), POTC3 (309M) and Hangover2 (254M).

At this point, Aladdin seems poised to break into #3. Does anyone see it plausible to catch #2 or even #1? Not that 318M is enough for such a beloved and big IP that could have flown higher than that but i will try not to insist on it anymore but at least, being the biggest MD movie could be a kind of come back.

Who knows, with TLK double features...

Edited by meriodejaneiro