efialtes76

Wednesday numbers:

6 minutes ago, UserHN said:

I also don't see it flopping, mostly because of the low budget. But it could underperform relative to expectations. The first one made $875M, more than BvS and Inside Out. If Pets 2 just grosses around $500M+, then it's underperforming. And Illumination should worry about its BO trend.

Can’t really see a case where Pets 2 is flopping, especially considering Illumination’s small budget for their films, and a WW-appeal.

The Lorax only made $348M WW, yet that was seen as profitable.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

7 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Can’t really see a case where Pets 2 is flopping, especially considering Illumination’s small budget for their films, and a WW-appeal.

The Lorax only made $348M WW, yet that was seen as profitable.

It will probably still be a financial hit.

But the possible severe drop in gross is probably a huge red flag for Universal on whether they plan to continue it as a franchise or not. 

1 hour ago, baumer said:

How exactly is anything they do going to flop?  Their budgets are typically half of what regular animation is and they have a world wide following. With an 80- million dollar budget, the film could gross 300 million WW and it would be a hit.  

I would say flop relative to the first one because I doubt it will get to $875m and based on that 300m wouldn't be hit. It just wouldn't make them lose money and if it's Dom heavy it could even make them some money.

From an absolute point of view it will be a win in their book, but so was TLJ for example or AoU and a lot of people called them bombs.

But I agree with you that it's highly unlikely that they will only produce flops from now on as their films need to gross a lot less than Pixar / Disney animation to be a success and they most likely will be totally fine in the future.

1 hour ago, UserHN said:

I also don't see it flopping, mostly because of the low budget. But it could underperform relative to expectations. The first one made $875M, more than BvS and Inside Out. If Pets 2 just grosses around $500M+, then it's underperforming. And Illumination should worry about its BO trend.

yes it is definitely going to fall from the first one. But I don't think illumination has much to worry about in terms of their box office trend. As long as they continue making movies with half the budget of other films they are going to continue reaping in profits.

• Like 1

And don't paint me as and illumination lover. I didn't like secret life of pets all that much although I wanted to and I've been half & half on the despicable Me series. Sing I thought was relatively boring but I know my brother's kids love the minions and the Pets and sing and so on.

• Like 1